<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

23 schoolgirls caned

March 1 2009 at 10:53 AM
alaric 

Readers who doubt whether girls are ever caned on the seat by male teachers may be interested in this account:

http://blog.smktc.edu.my/2009/02/16/the-unusual-monday-assembly/

The school is in a suburb of Kuala Lumpur.

Curiously, only 4 days earlier, at another mass caning for tardiness, only the boys were so punished:

http://blog.smktc.edu.my/2009/02/12/special-gifts-for-late-students/

See the hall in which the punishment is administered here:

http://smktc.edu.my/hall.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
American Way

Re: 23 schoolgirls caned

March 1 2009, 12:45 PM 

This will be picked up by the media and will be well known very soon. I've heard of behavior modification but this is ridiculous. You're suppose to respect other cultures but this is beyond the pale. It's unbelievable but sadly true. Let the Human Rights Watch pick on them and leave us alone. On a lighter note, the union would never allow that at my work but there would be more woman caned than men for tardiness if they did. I hope British humor and Anerican humor can coexists on this one.

American Way

Copied and Pasted from 2/12 and 2/16 student news

March 1 2009, 12:57 PM 

For the convenience of those who don't want to navigate the link, I've copied and pasted this. I think Jason Thow and ChinYong has read too many books not found at every bookstore. Definitely not the American Way!

Special Gifts For Late Students =]
by Jason Thow on Feb.12, 2009, under Past Event
For students who always like to come late, better make sure to come to school at time. No matter what reasons you have, you must still follow the rules and regulations. Most of the students claim that they came late to school is because their parents delayed them, traffic jams, woke up late or most probably, its they themselves who doesnt want to enter the school. Many students likes to hang outside the school and wait till the last moment and when they realised, they were late. All students must enter the school latest by 7.15 or will be counted as late.
Today, there were about 20 girls and 30 boys who were late, all lining in two long lines. The girls were lucky as they are not suppose to be caned, but they have to do some morning exercise, Running! I think it is a good punishment because they can be more healthy. For those who came late for school for the first time will be caned 2 times while for the second timers, itll be 3 strokes. Mr John caned them one by one.. Each rubbing their buttocks after they got caned, maybe it really hurts >.< I can hear nice sounds, phwack all over the air.. I think Mr John can play very good golf. He should pick up golf as his free time sports..XD. But, it is not an easy thing punishing students. <br> If you dont realize, punishing students can be very hurtful to the teachers heart. Not everybody is capable of doing this.
So for those who dont want to experience this, better make sure you enter the hall and school early or on time.

Archive for February 16th, 2009
~The Unusual Monday Assembly~
by ChinYung on Feb.16, 2009, under Past Event
16 February 2009
It seemed like quite a long time since we had our last assembly before Chinese New Year.
No doubt, students will be very glad if there is no assembly for a particular week. For some students (or perhaps I should say most), the teachers lengthy speech means nothing to them but a wonderful hypnosis treatment SO, it is definitely easy for you to spot a sleeping prince or sleeping beauty during assembly. Dont believe, you might have a try!
There is a new school rule in our school Fellow students, take note. You must get into the hall at 7:15 am everyday! 5 minutes earlier compared to last year. Seemingly, there were still a whole bunch of pupils have not got this message yet ==
I was taken aback for what I saw today in the hall. 23 cute, adorable and gentle girls were standing in front of the stage! (See? I even count them) It was an unusual scene indeed. I was racking my brain to think whats going on when the phwack sound was heard and this aroused students attention.
Again, Mr. John Toh used his lovely cane to kiss those students buttock. It was really a terrifying scene! Students were trying to explain the reason of the lateness, hoping to skip from the punishment. Unfortunately, I have to say, they had underestimated Mr. John and most of them winded up with their buttock kissed
Piack
Fellow friends, the school disciplinary board had already enforced this rule. Therefore, please be punctual!!
The highlight of the assembly today is the tag-giving ceremony to all the class monitors and assistant monitors. From Mr. Wong speech, all the monitors are the members of Majlis Ketua Tingkatan (MKT) [sounds cool!] The motive of having such a majlis is to train more leaders in school and instill leadership into monitors. Therefore, after the prefects, monitors will be the second layer of leaders in our school!!!
Mr.Wong also listed out the monitors jobs. (For more details on monitors jobs, please refer to the blog below.) Being a good monitor is no mean feat I could say. It is a tough one. {Monitors, God bless you} It requires a commitment. Without it, they wouldnt have their jobs done well. Sometimes, monitors even have to hand in their friends name to the teacher when their friends do something morally, legally wrong and this might put them in an awkward position if their friends got angry with them.
Immediately after Mr. Wong speech, tag-giving ceremony was held and one by one, monitors received their tags from Pn. Radiah, the school principle. After that, the monitors had to take an oath so as to promise they will do their best and handle jobs given with full responsibility. The oath was led by Moo Kah Kit from 5S2.
Soon, the assembly ended with only the national anthem and the oath which was led by the Head Prefect, Eric Moo Hong Yuen. Since the tag-giving ceremony consumed too much time, they skipped the 2 songs which were supposed to be sung. . .
Thats all for this morning assembly, unusual morning assembly For Form 3 and 5, All the Best in your Intervensi. Form 4, dont be happy. Prepare for your turn. Monthly Test await you 6 March 2009.

American Way

Clarification

March 1 2009, 6:36 PM 

ChinYung's report sounded as if he derived pleasure by his focus and vocabulary and not the other one. It would be exploitation if the one who administered it, did as well. Where did you find this? The site just started in January. You certainly scooped Corpun.

I was taken aback for what I saw today in the hall. 23 cute, adorable and gentle girls were standing in front of the stage! (See? I even count them) It was an unusual scene indeed. I was racking my brain to think whats going on when the phwack sound was heard and this aroused students attention.
Again, Mr. John Toh used his lovely cane to kiss those students buttock. It was really a terrifying scene! Students were trying to explain the reason of the lateness, hoping to skip from the punishment. Unfortunately, I have to say, they had underestimated Mr. John and most of them winded up with their buttock kissed
Piack

American Way

March 1 2009, 8:38 PM 

To get a flavor of the school I went to youtube. SMK Taman Connaught and found that school children everywhere are so much alike. Can you imagine how some teachers will react to these Michael Jackson like antics acted out? Beat it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcMXNjXXQA&fmt=18

Another_Lurker

March 1 2009, 11:12 PM 

An interesting find Alaric! Although it is an official school site the bloggers are, I think, students. They obviously have a sense of humour. To quote:
  • If you dont realize, punishing students can be very hurtful to the teachers heart. Not everybody is capable of doing this.
  • Mr John, the beloved discplinary teacher
Presumably Mr John Toh, the discipnary teacher, must trot out the old line about this will hurt me more than it hurts you but despite this they still love him! happy.gif

American Way, I'm surprised that you find these incidents so shocking, or, as you put it, "beyond the pale". That's how they do things in parts of South East Asia. It works for them and that's how they like it. Very rigidly controlled conformist societies, whether a single school or the whole country.

American Way

March 2 2009, 4:46 AM 

A man with an arm strength of a golfer and with a lovely cane as a boy heard their pleas go unheeded as each of the 23 cute, adorable and delicate girls lined up to feel the kiss of the cane striking their buttocks, wow, The administration may not look kindly upon his journalism nor will the girls caned. We'll see how long they'll be allowed to writewhen the adult content and mainstream media catches up to hit. It's easy to Google. Publishing what the boy overheard made it more embarrassing and more so in a shame and honor culture. The girls, however, adorable, cute and delicate may not look kindly upon the eavesdropping boy. Cultural restraints may keep the girls from telling their side of the story. It may make their national press because the caning of girls is infrequent judging by the boys reactions and controversial judging by the below link. Malaysia could care less what other countries think about their policies but I hope even by Malaysian standards, it might be considered OTT to group cane that many sleeping beauties for tardiness so close to a change to an earlier morning assembly but in my book it is beyond the pale but as I said, they wouldn't care.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/asia/malaysia/2007/11/29/132809/Malaysian-girls.htm

Another_Lurker

March 2 2009, 11:54 PM 

Hi American Way. At the risk of shocking you even further I have to say that my reading of the source blog indicates that the reporter was not, as you put it, 'eavesdropping'. The account appears to me to say that the girls were caned in front of the school morning assembly.
  • The account is headed '~The Unusual Monday Assembly~'.
  • The reporter says "the phwack sound was heard and this aroused students attention". Note that he doesn't say 'my attention', he refers to 'students' plural.
  • He says "It was really a terrifying scene". Note 'scene' not 'sound'. He and others were presumably watching it, not just hearing it.
Sounds to me like a bit of 'Pour encourager les autres' on the part of the school authorities faced with a continuing lateness problem on the part of girls, possibly motivated by the conclusion that the girls caught in the lateness purge only 4 days earlier had been let off too leniently.

A great deal of school CP was and is to act as a warning to other children, with sometimes the punishment of the actual offender almost a secondary objective. Punishment in front of a school assembly simply carries this idea to its logical, though unpleasant, conclusion.

Another_Lurker

March 3 2009, 1:13 AM 

To see if American Way's prediction that:

This will be picked up by the media and will be well known very soon.

has indeed come to pass I have spent some time searching Google News. It is now 14 days since the girls are said to have been caned and if there was to be a tsunami of adverse opinion one would assume that it should have come ashore somewhere by now. Sadly my searches have yielded nothing whatsoever in this area.

However, I did find this blog. Unlike the blogs in Alaric's foundation post this blog is definitely NOT an official school blog! The blogger, whom I think is male, has just (5 January 2009) moved from a school he calls 'Maluri' to SMK Taman Connaught, the school which is the subject of this thread. This is an account of his first day.

Certain sections of his comment are of particular relevance. His language is a little immoderate, and I have 'asterisked' some of his words in case larry1951 objects:

7. The discpline teacher.

In Maluri, the discpline teacher, Mr.Saad, is way way alot "cooler" i can tell you. The disclipne teacher here is way way too discpline until ...................*ahem...

8. Strict

Ok, in Connaught, it's **** ******** strict! STRICT! STRICT! STRICT! Unlike Maluri, when the disclipine teacher saw your shirt is untuck, messy hair, necktie hanging or whatever, first he will tell you "Boy~!Your shirt~!/hair/necktie". Here, the displcine teacher won't talk so much. He'll just cane you in the ass. That's for boys. For girls, you will have to sit for detention class or clean the toilet/class/school area.

With regard to the punishment of the girls this blogger makes absolutely no mention of it in his February blogs. He may of course have been absent that day, or alternatively the 'official' blogger may have been purveying 'official' propaganda and it may never have happened! happy.gif

Either way, never having been caned and not being a schoolgirl I am unqualified to say if cleaning the toilets would be preferable to being caned, but I suspect it would be a close run thing!

American Way

March 3 2009, 3:08 AM 

Colin Farrel never sleeps and it will be a highlight of his next update. That boy was in the right place at the right time and wrote a good story. Corporal punishment of group caning of schoolgirls is not an everyday event and might not sit well with woman teachers like this celebrated case. http://www.corpun.com/mys00704.htm

Youre right he wasnt eavesdropping. The (first link) highlights cultural differences. I dont think those teachers would break rules so they may not come under the rule of the education ministry (like some private schools in the States). If theyre transparent they have nothing to be ashamed of, as with the paddle in the South, so why not put it in the paper and give everyone a heads up. Like the paddle for tardiness the cane would be applied to both the sleeping princes and the sleeping princesses, but their discipline matrix tolerates less deviation. Its obviously their call.

Beyond the pale, even in Malaysia, is a 20 year old substitute teacher going on a caning spree five weeks ago there, caning 40 primary school students (boys & girls in the third link). Students face consequences for breaking rules as do teachers. That teacher should face draconian measures (even judicial corporal punishment) and just a slap on the hand that would make the school happy. Its a police matter that has yet to be resolved.

Safe and sane practices are more likely to occur where there is transparency. The Southern handbooks reflect the rules of their governing body and are published as are the Malaysian education ministry's guidelines that says that only boys can receive corporal punishment and only from the principal. Only the palm or buttocks can be hit and the maximum number of strokes is three. The women head of the national teachers union made sense in my book about dealing with the growing unruly behavior among girls, who are presently exempt from caning. She has favored, to no avail since 2007 according to a Corpun story (like many teachers here), safe and sane practices such as a concession that girls should be caned on the palms or back of the legs by only a female teacher.

http://smktc.edu.my/disciplinary.html

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/2/14/focus/20249911&sec=focus

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,190623,00.html

American Way

March 3 2009, 5:24 AM 

American Way

March 3 2009, 3:50 PM 

The first link is a movie showing a group caning in Thailand. Movies are reality based but the two boys dont have to act out that scene. Maybe the caning of boys was not an unusual event before assembly not for him an unpleasant surprise. Mass caning of 23 girls before a thousand students may have been unprecedented, at least during their school years there. In the states, we say a new sheriff is in town. The boy seemed surprised by his caning prowess. I would think subsequent canings for tardiness will be fewer in number and will be handled in a more intimate setting. They must have things they need to accomplish in that time period. The second video is boys having fun spoofing corporal punishment. More photos follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKDChUaIT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZeXG4_eL4

[linked image]

www.wensen91.blogspot.com/ - 262k

American Way

March 6 2009, 11:14 PM 

Is this school caning movie scene reality based, however rare? That's the kind of corporal punishment you would expect from a judicial caning. The spectators seemed horrified (more so with the girls) but helpless. Nothing they could have done less than a felony (even at that) could justify that brutality. I hope it's fiction based for the good of their nation's pupils but the parents must need money badly to exploit their children (appear to be minors). I think that would be against the law in most parts of the world (doing it or acting it). Can someone translate the plot? Like bullet proof vest, I hope they were wearing cane proof clothing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/anara001&fmt=18

MY Boy

March 7 2009, 12:14 AM 

Caning of girls in schools in Malaysia is actually a lot more common than 'what is published'. Back in my primary school days, seeing boys and girls caned in front of the class is a daily occurence, and I have received a fair share of them too.

Yes, the official rules by the government says girls cannot be caned, but believe me, rules in Malaysia are not usually followed!

Here are a few blog links that I've found in the past:

http://evelynquek.blogspot.com/2008/06/lately-my-brother-reminds-me-of-my-days.html
A girl, Evelyn Quek, detailing her primary school experiences. Must say my experience quite matches hers, lots of canings given for non-serious things.

http://abouther-yentheng.blogspot.com/2008/09/such-memorable-day.html
A girl, Yentheng, in Form 2, caned once. Didn't say why she was caned though.

http://promisesbeyondus-ern.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html
(Post on 24 Apr 2008) Girl, Jia Ern, caned for not passing up homework

http://uselessanddefenseless.blogspot.com/2008/11/graduation-tagg.html
A girl, Zixin, caned in Primary 1 (age 7) 13 times for not doing work?

http://monsteryun.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html
A girl was caned on her hand for 'unauthorized' seat changes in class. She even took a picture of her caned hand!

I'm sure if you want to keep finding, you'll find more! I must say though, caning 23 girls on their buttocks in the school's assembly, is really unusual!

But to have a taste of what more unusual things Malaysian teachers can do, here is an example -
http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/legal/general_news/shocking_punishment_cold_dirty_penalty_over_sanitary_pad.html (Scroll down to "Similar case in Malacca caused uproar") - Apparently the primary 6 girls (age 12) were told to lift their skirts and remove their panties to check who is the one menstruating - to determine who could be the culprit for throwing their sanitary pads into the sink! Apparently the teachers involved was let off after they apologized.

Another_Lurker

March 7 2009, 12:23 AM 

Hi American Way. Looks just like what happened nearly every day at morning parade in my secondary school! happy.gif

Seriously, the link you give is to a YouTube contributor's page rather than an individual video so it's difficult to know which video you mean. However, if you are referring to this one it has to be an extract from a commercial film.

It may be as accurate a depiction of events in a Thai school as the famous film "If" was of events in a British public school, that's to say not very! Equally it may have foundations in reality.

There doesn't seem much doubt that some schools in that part of the world favour 'public' CP. Also the standing position for the unfortunate recipients is apparently fairly normal. How common it would be for a woman to dish out the punishment to males I've no idea but I wouldn't have thought it was the norm. As regards the severity, it doesn't look to me any harder than a caning in a UK school when caning was legal, but others better qualified than me may comment on that.

American Way

March 7 2009, 1:26 AM 

The clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14xz04E9Js

I'm almost sure it's Thai, with the bowing, and a television drama serial and not a movie, judging by the parents' theatrics. I've calmed down about the scene's brutality. Very few blows are shown and who knows how much protection the clothes provided? I'm told that years ago the paddle in the states was abused by being wielded harshly and leaving severe bruises, but was used almost exclusively on boys who bucked up and took it like a man, so to speak. It's interesting how the paddling incidences have grown more regulated; girls are getting, not as much, but catching up as they're becoming almost as unruly. Parental permission and student choice (corporal or non corporal punishment) for teenagers lessens the likelihood that abuse will return. How do you force a senior in high school to submit to a paddling against his or her will, without a struggle? In other cultures, as the video demonstrates, it wouldn't be a problem. On the Southern states it's still believed that a sharp sting leaving a mild bruise goes a long way as a last resort and deterrent and according to a lot of teachers, who still believe that if used properly, can be a great attitude adjuster and behavior modifier.

Another_Lurker

March 7 2009, 1:43 PM 

Hi American way. Not the clip I assumed you meant. Looks a bit like one of those Australian soaps (Home and Away?) we get in the UK with added CP! The comments on the video say the students were fighting in school and are being punished in the presence of their parents. Could have fooled me - I thought it was some sort of court until I noticed the blackboards!

You are almost certainly correct in saying that it's made for TV. Whether it bears any resemblance to reality only someone with local knowledge could say. Brutality? Well, as I said before, I don't think the force depicted would differ too much from a typical UK school caning when CP was legal here. I'm no expert though. The standing posture is certainly less humiliating for the recipient than the usual UK method!

Interesting to note that though the boys I think got 4 strokes the 'three whacks for girls' convention seems to be observed here. This was the subject of an excellent thread started by Research Assistant 2 which is to be found here.

If anyone out there speaks the language and can provide a summary of what the clip is about I'll be indebted to them. Posting is very easy if you haven't done it before. Just click on the "Respond to this message" near the bottom of the page. You don't need to fill in the email address or log in! Sorry to repeat your link, American Way, but sometimes it's easier for people to click on a link rather than copy/paste it.

March 7 2009, 3:32 PM 

Hi I am thai people

i am not so good in writing english

the clip in youtube is soap opera

the girl is punish because they fighting with each other

in thai corporal punishment is prohibited by the law

But in reality many school still use cp espectually government school in local area and strict private all boy school

all girl private school caning is very very rare

bare bottom caning or caning over knicker i never listen

if you want to know something about thai please ask me

March 7 2009, 3:46 PM 

i forget to tell you soap opera is soap opera

in the end of this drama the male teacher who cane student marry with the last girl

you can ask me by my e-mail if you want to know something abouth this clip

Ketek

March 7 2009, 4:06 PM 

The Thai clip is no longer. It was up for a week and in a short time after been referred here, it vanishes. Be careful, guys...

Another_Lurker

March 7 2009, 4:16 PM 

Hi Jas. Thank you very much for the explanation. Your English is very good. It is certainly a lot better than my Thai!

I am glad to hear that this scene is not likely to be a common occurance in real life. It will make American Way a lot happier.

I guessed that there was some sort of romantic angle from the opening frame. I hope that caning your future bride is not a common thing in Thailand! happy.gif

Another_Lurker

March 7 2009, 4:21 PM 

Still there as far as I can see Ketek. Try my link above. Just cleared my cache and it still seems to work.

American Way

March 7 2009, 6:21 PM 

Jas: Thanks. I'm glad it had a happy ending. Is she keen on the idea of him caning girls' bottoms or does he get all that out of his system at home with her? The teacher looks like a wimp and I don't think he could go mano a mano even with the girls. Would some one want to put the assembly hall picture on the thread rather than copy and paste for convenience? I think the comment I could even count 23 of them could have been he was even closer than others so he could count and feast his eyes on the cute, adorable and delicate girls. The school has 2500 students in two sessions and the assembly hall looked packed in the photo. That same touch wasn't given in the boys account by the other reporter, where the boys clutched their buttocks in pain. It'll be interesting to monitor that blog in the days ahead. We'll see how effective caning really is.

American Way

March 7 2009, 7:28 PM 

Speaking of monitoring, there is a big holiday in March and a new forum starting. I noticed in the assembly picture the Muslim traditions. They're more with technology than with schools twice their size in other parts of the world. Girls aren't punctual in my work world in my neck of the woods, as I said before; it might not be that bad of an idea of them learning those good habits early. I agree in shame/honor society a public caning would be an effective way to make an example, hence, leading, to less corporal punishment. Any school forum would put similar restrictions as below. We can all learn from them even this esteem Forum.

http://blog.smktc.edu.my/2009/03/

I know that you guys are ready to condemn and insult teachers, other students, school administration and much more. But, I am sorry to say, we do not accept any condemnation or insults. We do accept suggestions and critiques.

Another_Lurker

March 7 2009, 9:04 PM 

Hi American Way. I'm pleased that your concerns re the video clip have largely been laid to rest by the information so kindly provided by Jas.

I am a little puzzled though. Unless I'm misunderstanding your posts you appear to be an advocate of paddling. Now I have to say that paddling appears to me to be a more brutal punishment than caning. I have seen photographs of school paddling injuries in the US in which the damage appeared to exceed anything I've seen publicised even after canings which were national scandals here in the UK. I am therefore a little surprised that what appeared, ficticious though it was, to be a fairly severe but otherwise unexceptional school caning should have been of such concern to you.

As far as I could judge it wasn't just the fact that girls were being caned that upset you. You seemed equally concerned for the lads. Do you see caning as intrinsically more brutal than paddling? Who knows, the far-flung and widely experienced contributors to this estimable forum may include someone who has experienced both at around the same age and at similar severity. If so it would be interesting to have their comments on the relative impact thereof. Unfortunate choice of word perhaps, but appropriate in the context! happy.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by:

Would some one want to put the assembly hall picture on the thread rather than copy and paste for convenience?

You provided a perfectly good link to the assembly hall picture which when clicked brings up the picture. Absolutely no problem for anyone. When I mentioned copying and pasting I was meaning links which are not normally recognised as links by web browsers because they don't end in usual end of link characters. Your link to the YouTube video in your post at 01:26 today for instance. On the other hand if you mean you'd like to make the assembly hall picture appear directly in the thread, that's easy enough to do if required.

American Way

March 8 2009, 6:20 AM 

Good point, what's more brutal? My visceral reaction was oy was caning but I guess it's a lot like choosing poison.. Don't give too much credence to those bruises; those photos were taken after an abusive paddling in a hospital for court reasons by someone who, in all likelihood was taken to task by his or her superiors and rightly so. Districts dont want law suits or schools bad press and do you think parents would put up with that if it was routine? Now here is why I'm a paddling advocate, when it comes to classroom management no one size fits all but a good number of teachers and administrators still think it's working even with the numbers in free fall. Too much classroom time is being wasted disciplining and it isnt fair to those who need a structured and safe environment for learning and are playing by the rules. Too much learning time is lost by those miscreants who spend time outside the classroom. A few seconds of pain frees the students and teachers time and it shouldnt take long to teach youngsters, breaking rules cause unpleasant consequences. The junior high school students arent paddled as hard but the older ones are less keen on taking the CP alternative. Theyre more grown up and more should be expected of them and theyre bigger too. You can see the difference in the videos. The first two have been linked over and over again Everman Junior High in Fort Worth TX and Booneville High School, AR even more so but for convenience I'll do them side by side.

Youll never see a paddling (unless caught surreptitiously) in the States so this is the closest you can get to finding out what its like. The two middle school students felt some sting but the high schoolers felt pain and will be sore for a short time with moderate bruising. Maybe I'm naive but the teachers at Everman look like they have the best interest of the children in mind, I'm not to sure about Steve Halter from Booneville, he gives me the creeps and as a parent I would want him to stay away from my daughter. He looked like he enjoyed it, especially when he let her play with the paddle. There is something unseemly about a man striking a girl's buttocks even with a female witness, who might be intimidated by his rank. It's more prudent to have men paddle boys and women paddle girls as in the Everman video. Call me prudish but when it comes to sexual abuse you can't be too vigilant. On a happier note, Nancy (third link) from Booneville should be commended for her involvement as a senior in school activities; shell be college bound for sure.

The last three are samplings I find credible teacher letters, caveat emptor; theyre not all to be believed. The dates of the last three are as follows: March 26, 2008; August 13, 2008 and February 11, 2009. I can't dismiss the wisdom of generations by thinking we are more evolved or enlightened and do away forever what some find worth keeping at least on the books. Who are we to judge, but the Supreme Court in the American Way

http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=13331@ktvt.dayport.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0EfM5f3io&feature=related

http://www.booneville.k12.ar.us/HS/sadd.htm

http://teachers.net/states/ar/topic542/3.26.08.20.53.18.html

http://teachers.net/states/ar/topic542/8.13.08.12.09.43.html

http://teachers.net/states/ar/topic643/2.11.09.13.21.51.html

American Way

March 8 2009, 2:54 PM 

Mr John (with the microphone) could probably be the Mr John Toh involved in the mass caning. He caned the boys before according to this earlier blog.

http://blog.smktc.edu.my/2009/02/08/sukantara/

Sill Lee Asso

March 8 2009, 6:49 PM 

alaric is on the turn? Yes please.

NO Female Students were caned.

March 14 2009, 4:06 AM 

Hey guys,

I am the Web Master of SMKTC's blog and web site.

I would like to make it clear that no girls were caned. Only guys were caned. over here, we are not allowed to cane girls. They were punished by other punishment like standing in front of the hall, helping to pick up rubbish, and running.

I hope your understand that no girls were caned here. In the post posted by Chin Yung, The girls were told to stand infront. Mr John only caned the guys in the hall.

I am sorry Chin Yung did not state it clearly that the guys were only caned. I have edited it. I hope that this discussion will stop here as there were no girls caned in SMK Taman Connaught.

Thank You,
SMKTC's Web Master.

American Way

March 14 2009, 8:33 PM 

I hope the discussion will stop here as well too. Thank you for your clarification. The very thought of a girl being treated differently and not being hit with a wooden board on the buttocks for misbehavior would be unthinkable in parts of the United States today. More than 220,000 children are paddled every year here and many are girls. I'm sorry, you did say in your wonderful site that girls are not supposed to be caned and I'm sure you're trying to do what you're suppose to do. I hope Lee Chin Yung didn't get into trouble for not making it clearer, maybe he meant to scare the girls (Sleeping Beauties) or he thought it was unfair that only the boys got caned. These two clips show how corporal punishment is administered in the middle schools and high schools in Texas (2006) and Arkansas (2008). I believe in corporal punishment because too many students here disobey their teachers and treat them with no respect. Your teachers may not allow you to reply because they want the discussion to end here. I can see you're making your parents proud and they are happy to see teachers teach and students learn, something that can't be said everywhere in my own country. You write better than me so you deserve a better compliment. Where did you find out about this esteem Forum?

http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=13331@ktvt.dayport.com&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0EfM5f3io&fmt=18

Another_Lurker

March 14 2009, 11:37 PM 

American Way, you ask SMKTC's Web Master:

Where did you find out about this esteem Forum?

I've given this information here more times than I can count, and as a web user and an extensive search engine user you really ought to know it anyway, but I'll repeat it yet again:

Every time anyone clicks on a link published in this estimable Forum the web master of the linked site can see where the link came from. The SMKTC web master has been doing what webmasters do and looking at his traffic and its source. Seeing a spate of hits from this Forum he has visited here to see what's going on!

For the record, when you visit any web page the web master of that page can tell where you came from if you clicked on a link to get there. In addition, amoungst other things, the web master can see a record of:
  • Your IP address, which identifies your ISP and in turn identifies you via the ISP.
  • What operating system and version you use.
  • What browser and version you use.
The information is quite specific enough to enable regulatory or law agencies to identify both you and your computer.

In addition, if you link to a page via a search engine the web master can see what search terms you used to find his page.

Hope this helps! happy.gif

American Way

March 15 2009, 6:03 PM 

Sorry but by where I should have asked (from whom and when); for I know how. Their clarification was a minor modification so it might have gone unnoticed unless they were all told about the change made in the story. The last two sentences were added.

I was taken aback for what I saw today in the hall. 23 cute, adorable and gentle girls were standing in front of the stage! (See? I even count them) It was an unusual scene indeed. I was racking my brain to think whats going on when the phwack sound was heard and this aroused students attention. The boys reacted to the canning. The girls were not caned but punished with other punishment, like running.

May I add the girls were punished by exercise the week before but obviously to no avail? I think the girls were glad what the boys thought was unusual (however rarely applied to them) was not administered because some of the perpetrators could have been recidivists that merited a severer punishment so the "phwack was not the sound of a girl being caned after all.

American Way

April 17 2009, 3:07 PM 

I did some research this week at the library and I came by this article. I have often wondered why girls would be exempt from caning. This article last week changes the 2006 policy banning corporal punishment in Malaysian school for girls. I wonder why the ban lasted only three years. I take it the ban was lifted because of an increase in unruliness since then among the girls. Maybe some girls would like to weigh in on this issue? Students were asked the question whether girls should be subject to corporal punishment in this Yahoo forum. Do you agree with the most popular answer? I do.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080104210636AAzshBK

Boys, do you think the ban was fair? Do you think girls would behave better if they were subject to the cane instead of exercise, which of course makes them healthier and easier on boys' eyes!!! Sorry feminists.

The last two links, previously posted, shows that girls were caned right up to their final year in school just as girls are paddled here until they graduate at 18. There is even a picture showing the girls with red marks on their palms. In some countries before the ban boys received the cane on the buttocks and girls on the palms. Is that they way it was there?

FYI, in the USA most schools require a female witness when a girl is paddled, less frequently but just as deservedly. Boys misbehave more than girls; I'm sure that's everywhere, except when it comes to tardiness!!! The paddle is used here so kids aren't hit on the hands. And again apologies from this network54 forum for thinking girls would be caned when it was against the law but things may change now. And Im glad you made that clearer because it was confusing. I suppose it would get the school in trouble. I wonder if the girls know they may be in for a morning surprise!!!

http://www.medindia.net/news/Malaysia-to-Revive-Corporal-Punishment-in-Schools-49650-1.htm

http://charlotte-charlett.blogspot.com/2006/07/270706.html

[linked image]

American Way

June 22 2009, 6:20 PM 

The caning on the lighter side I believe in Thailand corresponded to the timing of most proms just days before graduation. Its easy to laugh looking back isnt it in the forst link? The classroom caning in Korea featured in corpun clip 1 and clip 4 is for real makes me think something like this happened to the 23 Malaysian girls in the surprise morning assembly despite protests to the contrary? Their subsequent clarification seemed contrived and a telling denial to understandably protect the school. They wouldn't have been surprised unless it was prohibite. The posture of the girls would somewhat resemble doing physical exercise, the punishment for the girls first tardy. The school simply upped the ante. Do you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx2VnkrA8dI

http://www.corpun.com/vidsc6.htm

American Way

July 21 2009, 12:43 AM 

From Corpuns Picture Parade:

Students at an unknown outdoor location in South Korea are being disciplined with a short stick. It is not clear whether these are boys or girls or mixed. They all wear identical tracksuits. They have been asked to adopt the "all fours" position to receive the punishment on their backsides.

[linked image]

Look at the middle picture (nothing to do with Japan) but it is obvious they're Korean girls in the bottom link. Colin Farrel would not be a quandry about their gender. Mind you the Malaysian girls were force to exercise while the boys were caned the first time and the second offense still didnt warrant the cane for the girls. In light of the reconsideration of girls being caned in Malaysia maybe the 23 sleeping beauties did get caned after all like they said to begin with. Their site has never mentioned caning again. I'm ptobably not the only one here is beginning doubt their denials.

http://chross.blogt.ch/forum/read.php?2,1035,page=14

Thom Aq

July 21 2009, 4:51 PM 

I have a background in teaching english as a second language (in Australia) and have known and do know many Asian families where caning is par for the course. I realise that this will seem very strage and accusations raised taht such an account is fantasy, but I have had one of my students ingform me that she was caned by her own father into her 20's. This was told to me by a girl who had no reason to fantasis or lie about it. It is simply normal practice.
The bending over position in Korean schools is rather intriguing, its like they are looking for someone's contact lens and the teacher just happens along with this bi stick and thinks :wouldnt it be a great trick to..."wink.gif

American Way

Conjecture

January 20 2010, 9:29 PM 

Alaric was under the impression 23 girls were caned. He may be more familiar with their customs. I didn't initiate the thread. Exercise was the initial punishment the girls received immediately following the switch to an earlier start up time. He was describing a subsequent offence when the students would have more time to know about and adjust to the circumstance. My conjecture (key word) is that they upped the ante from exercise to corporal punishment for the girls. Other than for the benefit of this estimable Forum whom was the clarification made? Perhaps it was in the school's best interest to clarify it for someone else's benefit?

I am not convinced that "surprise" was that unlike the prior offense that led to exercise this offense led to corporal punishment for 23 sleeping beauties (perhaps the ones clutching their freshly kissed buttocks were female buttocks maybe not altogether unpleasant surprise but I may be projecting. wink.gif

By the time of the second offense everyone should have known about the change in time. The boys wanted to let everyone in the school know that the school turning it up a notch in case it didn't get out by word of mouth. IMHO some clarifications border on telling denials. hcj It's good to hear that you hate to....I hope not a telling denial. sad.gif

Between the time the website had just started and the golf swing caning prowesses of Mr John Thow who cared enough to cane them there has be ni mention of corporal punishment. Perhaps considered a hands off internal matter for public consumption. Needless to say it is an open question whether the girls were caned or not. It raised my suspicions but maybe no one else among this Happy Circle although for it did not rise to the level of a reasonable surmise but as I said a conjecture. Some may say why raise the question at only the level of a conjecture but I'm not of that school of thought and I assume there are others like me. happy.gif

hcj

January 20 2010, 10:17 PM 

American Way, I really don't know what you mean when you say Needless to say it is an open question whether the girls were caned or not.

These are the words in the original text: The girls were not caned but punished with other punishment, like running.

There is nothing open about the question at all!

American Way

January 20 2010, 10:55 PM 

Read my March 1st 12:57 post as Alaric and I read it when it was posted undoctored..

Then look at the revision (student or faculty driven?) with the fourth paragraph last sentense (which you are referring to) that was added then note the word (guys)in color. One explanation is that he did not make it clear enough and so he straightened it out because he described it in that manner therefore he apologized but Alaric and I took it to be 23 girls caned and another possibility (I lean towards) is that the school intervened when they saw how many visits they were getting from this estimable Forum (otherwise why would they bother to respond) which may explain why the authorities went into a damage control mode. If they weren't suppose to cane girls they would want that to be an internal matter between the school adminstration and their tuition paying parents. IMHO the author is articulate and the long subsequent history of the website there has been no need for other clarifications. hcj that is what I mean by an open question.

I'm not Malaysian but I imagine the schools (very structired) are like the Nuns ran ours. You jump and I'll tell you how high on your way up. sad.gif I am a survivor because I still ask why and this is one of the cases. happy.gif

Another_Lurker

January 22 2010, 4:08 AM 

Refreshing my memory on this incident, which for some reason seems to have now overflowed into the 'Corporal punishment in Malaysia' thread, I revisited an early link in this thread, originally posted by American Way on 3 March 2009. At that time I don't remember the page at the end of the link as being quite as sophisticated, or as indicative of the ethos of a school like Skolah Menengah Kebangsaan Taman Connaught where the original caning (or as now seems probable, non-caning) took place, as what's there now. If I am mistaken and the page hasn't changed, my apologies.

Here is the link to The SMKTC Disciplinary Board Page.

Do not fail to run the video embedded in the page! Further, do not leave when the first video appears to have ended! This is clever stuff, and you get not one, but three videos for your money! When one finishes another will start up after a short interval.

What you will see:
  • How to train your prefects so that they'd probably frighten many a national army if they came face to face on the battlefield!

• A short introduction to the staff who preside over this highly disciplined school, including the Disciplinary Master, Mr John Toh Kok Min, who may (or may not) have caned the 23 girls in the incident which gave the thread its name.

• A musical performance so heart rending that it almost (but not quite) inspired me to rush out and purchase the CD! happy.gif
I shall be writing to Mr Ed Balls immediately to tell him the answer to failing UK schools - simply fetch in the team from SMKTC! He's bound to listen to me, after all we are old boys of the same distinguished establishment! happy.gif

American Way

January 22 2010, 4:20 AM 

I'm glad I copied and pasted the original account before it was doctored.

American Way

January 23 2010, 7:58 AM 

American Way

Re: 23 schoolgirls caned March 15 2009, 6:03 PM

One of the possible scenarios that would argue for the girls not being caned I find not particularly persuasive. A student (monitoring the blog for the number and origin of hits) remarks to the author there is a forum called school corporal punishment that thinks 23 girls were cane. The author says that's crazy. It becomes evident that alaric got the wrong impression because of the way he wrote the story in the blog. He clarifies the story with an apology acknowledging that he should not have written it in a way that alaric would get that impression and notifies the network 54 forum and by extension all readers of that forum and asks that the discussion be ended.

Another possible scenario is that the author is called in by someone in authority and says it is frowned upon to cane girls and told to straighten that out before it can cause trouble for the school. The student body is told that the author is changing the story because caning of girls is frowned upon and they are again told the importance of punctuality.

I find something closer to the second scenario more likely. Talking about this may not be the preference of the school or some of this estimable Forum. I happen not to be one of them.

American Way

February 26 2010, 3:22 AM 

Thank you Another Lurker March 2 2009 at 11:54 P.M. under 23 schoolgirl thread. Something has come to my mind almost a year later. Maybe the girls weren't shocked that they were about to be caned because the gymnastic exercise was the first punishment and they may have been told you're getting what the boys get next time.

To the boys not knowing about the threat it came to them as a morning surprise. The youngsters no doubt were told why the clarification was necessary. They found the network 54 site by the IPS and try to put a lid on it by clarifying/contradicting edit. We got under their skin. They may have even impugned our motives. sad.gif Some people I'm told have an erotic interests in these matters. sad.gif

They better start caning those girls (some may fall under shariah law) to toughen their skin. If the canings aren't suppose to be painful why did two get six strokes and and one only get four. Was the youngest adulteress in for four strokes or did they gradate for their sluttiness?

What if I get caught in a Latin moment with Kartika and my St Pauli in flagrante delicto. wink.gif How would the Prophet use his matrix happy.gif Coming together it would be like a perfect storm. What better than a perfect day for a perfect twelve stroke? happy.gif

American Way

August 28 2011, 10:17 PM 

The double standard of the cane (ruler) for boys and exercises for girls (c.f. upstairs downstairs on top right hand corner) has historical precedence as in girls and the spanking prerogative.

CLICK

JS

February 2 2012, 11:59 AM 

Not too sure about malaysian schoolgirls got caned on the ass ...Well, if that happens, there would be a public uproar. It's not about the caning activity that matters, it's more about what's in the discipline teacher/school master's head during the caning of a schoolgirl..especially in Malaysia ? That raises some eyebrows isn't it ?

Somehow I think that caning in Thailand schools are kinda severe and yea it's leaning towards physical abuse rather than sexual harassment.

Have a look at the pic below for a yes...a real life caning of a girl that is commonly practiced in Thai/Viet/Korean schools and if you wanna know more, just jump onhttp://corpun.com/vidths01.htm#clip6

http://corpun.com/vidths01.htm#clip6

[linked image]

[linked image]

American Way

Thai Electrical Cord Caning Comments

February 2 2012, 4:29 PM 

Albeit the Thai taped Catholic School electrical cord caning has been well covered it might be of some interests the comments generated up until the end of 2011.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/394600-thai-catholic-school-teacher-caught-caning-students/

JS

February 3 2012, 3:10 PM 

Well yeah i believe there are more illegal school canings out there, it's just a matter whether these students are able to film it. if you are interested in real life stuffs from all around the globe, you can probably log on tohttp://wulin12345.blogspot.com.au/ and this blogger has a youtube channel as well.

It's interesting to see how corporal punishment (esp for girls) is normal in Thai/Korea/Viet but NOT in Malaysia or Singapore. If that happens in these 2 countries, then the news would go global somehow. Seems to me like these canings are a form of perversion (in their views) rather than an actual discipline where both genders should be treated equally!

And by the way, 23 girls caned in Malaysia ? That's just impossible...and it is not surprising that there are posts that are leaning towards the caning process (yes...like whacking sounds..etc) simply because it can be a form of fetish since this sort of stuffs is uncommon in Singapore/Malaysia, hence a wild imagination resulted because yeah...it looks sexy I suppose ? Example :

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Feeling good anyone ?

For me, this is called gender equality !!

Another_Lurker

February 3 2012, 9:02 PM 

Hi Jason,

You quote the wulin12345 blog in your contribution above, and from the face obscuring technique used on the pictures you are reproducing I'm guessing they are from that blog. Are you aware that the operator of the wulin12345 blog is a regular contributor here?

You say above:

Well yeah i believe there are more illegal school canings out there, it's just a matter whether these students are able to film it.

Do you realise that many of the student filmed surreptitious videos of school corporal punishment in circulation, especially those from The Republic Of Korea, were shot when the corporal punishment depicted was perfectly legal?

JS

February 11 2012, 5:20 AM 

Yupz, I've quoted him/her... so what's the problem ? and I did mention that these pics are from Superwulin's site as well...

You know what Lurkey, this thread is kinda boring and it's filled with fantasy. So I guess it's perfectly fine to publish a few interesting pics to justify the processes involved in corporal punishements all around the world. And yes, guess Superwulin should do the same here in this there to improve the readability and credibility of this thread ?

And back to legality of school caning in Korean schools, oh well we knew it too well...it's rare to see a legal school punishment. Boys/Girls need to hold an "all-fours" or "push-up" posture and boys will be disciplined on the butt and the girls on the thigh. Right, and if you look up videos on corpun or from other sources, many canings are done on the foot (yes, falaka style !) and mostly on the butt for girls. So is that legal although school punishment was still legal then considering that the procedures are stuffed up ?

This message has been edited by larry1951 on Feb 11, 2012 5:40 AM

Current Topic - 23 schoolgirls caned  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement