<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Instruments of correction

March 14 2010 at 6:05 PM
American Way 

Everywhere there are preferred instruments of correction. Obvious one of course is paddle versus cane or tawse or slipper but some may or may not be familiar with switch. This was the best I could find on a Yahoo site by Steve R. Here are snippets.

There is a plethora of sites both fetish or otherwise that describe the implements. There are others not mentioned as often like the ferule. We might want to limit it to school and not domestic. The slipper was rarely used here and the strap more often in Canada but was used in the punlic schools in the area that I grew up in the fifties but only by the principal for the mosr serious offense and always on the buttocks on August 26, 2007.

A switch makes an ominous 'swoosh' sound, rather like a whip, and can be agitated up and down quickly, so the lashes can rain down on the victim, who is usually a spankee, mostly bare bottom so it can 'bite' the skin. It hurts. While young children usually suffer it over the knee (or rather the lap), it can be more painful if the discipliner makes more elbow-room by ordering the punishee to lie or bend over an object, which can, especially if standing, increase the humiliation by exposing the genitals.

Switches are most efficient (i.e., painful and durable) if made of a strong but flexible type of wood, such as hazel (also use for a very severe birch) or hickory (see hickory stick); as the use of their names for disciplinary implements, without specification, and as verbs for lashing, indicates, birch and willow branches are time-honoured favorites, but branches from most strong trees and large shrubs can be used, often simply nearby from a garden, an orchard or the wild.

Making a switch is simply called cutting, as it only involves cutting it from the stem and removing twigs or directly attached leaves as those would lessen its sting (hence deliberately left on for sauna use). For optimal flexibility it is cut fresh shortly before use, rather than keeping it for re-use over considerable time.

Parents in the United States (where the wider paddle is the most common spanking implement) are reputed to threaten disobedient children with gifts of utilitarian coal and switches for Christmas should they not reform their behavior, although the actual practice of this is rare to the vanishing point, especially as most people live in urban areas where less suitable wood is easily at hand for the old-fashioned woodshed treatment and most modern educators consider such severe physical discipline cruel and it is often banned by law as child abuse.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
American Way

Re: Instruments of correction

April 11 2010, 8:34 PM 

I find it fascinating that a paddle was being used in a schoolroom in 1950 in Oregon. Paddles were never used in the public schools in my area far from slavery and the south.

The law enforcement being involved in a case on 1950 (my birth year) must have been rare as the aim of the teacher. happy.gif

15 year old girl paddled on her face

George Ryley Scott (peculiar expert on human torture and other best left unmentioned titles) link on paddle with holes thankfully an obsolete instrument of school correction with few defenders.

Paddle With Holes

American Way

April 23 2010, 6:23 PM 

Part of the African American culture is the whopping. Kelia Foster featured on Dr Phil was an advocate of CP referenced in Corpun. This is an excerpt from her 2006 blog that mentions the switch that played in the episode Basic Genealogy.

http://www.explorehoward.com/gallery.php?photo=122

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT
Growing up, if I misbehaved, talked backed or didnt mind my parents, there was one warning and then the next thing coming was a butt whopping. This whopping could have been done by either my mom or dad with the first thing they could put their hands one: a belt, an extension cord, a stick from a tree, a shoe or a stapler. Never looking forward to this, I tried to abide by all the rules my parents set forth in THEIR household. If I went to grandma, aunt or uncle it was ok for them to give me a whopping as well. They did not even have to call my parents because permission was already given.

When I came down to Mississippi and heard the word corporal punishment, I had NO clue as to what that was. After it was explained to me and I called my dad (who is from Mississippi) to see if he believed in it, his answer being, Yes, it was a part of my growing up in the public schools in Mississippi and it is still a very important part of the educational culture in Mississippi. With that being said from my Dad, and knowing that the kids I would be teaching would be mostly black and that they would probably be receptive to corporal punishment because they grew up with it in their household, I had no problem accepting corporal punishment. After contacting my teacher corps mentor and finding out the history behind it and the fact that many people in the communities still believe in it, I again had no problem accepting it. I am an outsider (non- Mississippian) coming into a community I am not from, so who am I to say that their method of discipline does not work. When I started the school year, I can remember being in the office and seeing the door close and hearing the student getting paddled. I was never privileged to witness one, I dont know why; its as if the administration didnt want me (an outsider) to be a witness to it. After getting to know the administration a little better I think I finally convinced them that I was worthy of being a witness. So during my 7th period planning the vice-principal started making me a hold the kids hands down on the desk while he paddled them. I can only say that I will make myself available this upcoming school year for the same thing.

Bob T

April 24 2010, 1:37 AM 

AW; Where did you get those last two paragraphs in your last post? Are those from Keila? I read the article you linked to but it was not included. My interest is because she said she was asked to hold a childs hands down.

I checked out her blog but the last entry was 3 years ago. That was before her appearance on Dr. Phil.

I would like to have a word with her.

American Way

April 24 2010, 4:37 AM 

http://www.olemiss.edu/programs/mtc/Participants/Bios/2005/KeilaFoster.htm

Bob T: This is from the link on Keila Foster you were looking for.

http://keilams.blogspot.com/2006/06/corporal-punishment.html

Tiffany is not anti-CP zealot and her account to the Human Rights Watch is credible.

http://www.olemiss.edu/programs/mtc/Participants/Bios/2005/TiffanyBartlett.html

http://tiffanybartlett.blogspot.com/2006/05/thoughts-on-corporal-punishment.html

Widespread paddling can make it unlikely that forms will be checked. A teacher interviewed by Human Rights Watch, Tiffany Bartlett, said that when she taught in the Mississippi Delta, the policy was to lock the classroom doors when the bell rang, leaving stragglers to be paddled by an administrator patrolling the hallways. Bartlett now is a school teacher in Austin, Texas.

The bottom line is that there are abuses of corporal punishment without doubt and they're not as few as many would like to believe. I think Bob T it comes to one's threshold of what one defines as defiance from the Alabama "perpetrators" list. That's worse then calling youngsters monsters.

Are students learning to avoid annoying their teachers? Are teachers paddling students that annoy them? After a paddling a some teachers says the slate is clean yet how often do hear them say that after Saturday detention? Why? I suspect some may think the other forms of punishment are not as effective but some may be over sold on it as it seems in the MS Delta area. Too much smoke not to believe there is not fire. Jessica Benson account linked below.

http://calstate.fullerton.edu/news/Inside/2009/jessica-benson-q-a.html

Here is a teacher that wants to remain anonymous but is nonetheless just as credible from her Mississippi Teacher Corps blog.

http://wanderingeph.blogspot.com/

During our first teacher work day, I went to lunch with many of the other teachers. As soon as Id picked up my food, the teacher sitting next to me started grilling me on my discipline policy and asked what I planned to use as punishments. As I went through my list (warnings, writing assignments, phone calls, detentions, office referrals, etc.), she kept barking at me, What else? and then proceeded to lecture me on how the kids were monsters who wouldnt do anything I told them to do unless I paddled them very hard. Other teachers chimed in their agreement, and after a meeting in the library, another teacher pulled me aside to give me more or less the same speech. When the principal started talking about corporal punishment, and I asked whether corporal punishment at the school was limited to paddling or included things like push-ups, the entire staff started laughing at me, and people I hadnt even met spent the next few days teasing me and asking if Id made any kids do push-ups.

These fruits of my research have made me more circumspect and nuanced on my views of school corporal punishment. On a lighter note, Bob T, when you said you would donate paddles to spank bullies and you want teachers to feel the paddle, I take it we have some shared bad memories of being tormented in the school and outside the school. sad.gif

I'm not clairvoyant but I don't think teachers will be paddling twenty five years from now. It's not a matter of being on the right or wrong side of history but it is what it is. You're doing your best to hold Renee et al feet to the ground justifying incidences and that's fair turf. Keep in mind that bully teachers and bully students have taken its toll on both of us but we stay a Happy Circle when we can be real and we can kind. Bob T we're not always kind but we are always real.

I hope these posts disabuse those who believe abuses are a thing of the past. It's not to be minimized or rationalized but one cannot simply by invoking community standards. When these young teachers interact Deep Delta MS culture, without prior knowledge of community standards, there will be a rubbing of both cultures and the best of both will prevail. Isn't that the American Way.

Bob T if you wish to write Keila Foster a letter I suggests you write through Dr Phil's program. However wrongheaded she may be she comes from an African American experience and is almost young enough to be your daughter. So remember be real but be kind. wink.gif I'll have Grandma Barnes tell you to go cut a switch for her and give you a whopping. happy.gif

American Way

April 24 2010, 5:27 AM 

Adam Ewing taught in Oxford MS where Sean D describes the scheme for corporal punishment in the HRW report in bold face print. I am not one who buys totally into that report but when buttressed by these testimonials them become more convincing. This snippet is from his blog.

Perhaps more shocking to me is the implicit (albeit sometimes begrudging) acceptance corporal punishment enjoys from the leaders, alumni, and second-year members of the Mississippi Teacher Corps. Some second-years see it as an embarrassing joke, many seem to accept it because they must, others pragmatically support it because they think it works, and some of my peers seem to even take a smattering of joy in assigning licks to their students (from what I understand, punishment is most commonly administered by each schools principal or assistant principal). I have asked my teachers and program leaders to engage in a classroom-wide discussion on this topic, and though they have always been welcoming to the idea, such a discussion has yet to happen. Whenever it comes up in class, the teachers eyes seem to roll and the usual answer is, Well have that discussion sometime later. The discussion/debate seems to carry a stigma because it has been both extended and heated in the past; I can imagine idealistic, virgin members of the Corps being pitted against the programs hardened veterans and Mississippi natives.

http://mississippiatlas.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html

December 14, 2007 HRW quotes a recent graduate of the town he taught in Oxford MS.

Another similarly vague term for which students are sometimes paddled is "defiance of authority," which, as a recent high school graduate in Mississippi noted, "could be anything; that phrase could mean anything. Teachers threw it around all the time.

Toby-John

Abuse - a thing of the past ?

April 24 2010, 6:07 AM 

Hello American Way

you say:

I hope these posts disabuse those who believe abuses are a thing of the past......

I have just read through this thread of yours, including comments from new teachers.

these New teachers are not welcomed to schools with respect. Little attempt is made to encourage a new Teacher to be part of the Teaching Team. New Teachers do not have an communication channel to their superiors.

Question: Do the Princilples have a witnesses at their paddlengs ?
If a new teacher is a witness, they are unlikely to be creadible witness, in that the new teacher does not have a way of speaking to the Principle, so the Priciple can be abusive to a student, and paddle excessively, without considering alternative options, without the witness ever raising any complaint.

you also say:

I'm not clairvoyant but I don't think teachers will be paddling twenty five years from now.

The Principles described here are not doing themselves any favours.
Their attitude is arrogant.

These Principles do not lead a happy team of teachers, very different to the thread about Anthony Price at Everman:

http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=13331@ktvt.dayport.com

Teaching is most effective when students are relaxed and happy in their school environment.
Teachers themselves are most effective when they are happy in a well led school.
Arrogant Principles are abusive to Teachers as well as students.
Its the arrogance that needs to "go" not the Paddle.

Toby-John

American Way

April 24 2010, 1:29 PM 

I have read through several accounts from the teacher chatboards where more young teachers than not are uncomfortable witnessing a paddling and not necessarily from the pain but arbitrariness and consistency of its use. Why arbitary? Teachers have their own rules. Why inconsistent? Teachers have their own days. You have to remember it's the teachers not the principals that witness and report the behavior or do not report the behavior.

Arrogance is a result of absolute power and there is no checks and balances in schools that don't give children appeals. The matrices I've constructed, not only have appeals, but forms that give a student a chance to put into words their grievance. Will the process leas to changes in punishments meted out? With mistaken identity a paddling can be avoided, even if only once a year, but for amelioration maybe quite more frequently. Dr Dominum listened to appeals occasionally made changes.

Anthony Price is a good principal; he teaches the teachers how to paddle safely and moderately. Getting a paddling or a detention for relatively minor misbehavior seems to avoid the long term negative impact of suspensions. It's like getting a ticket for speeding before causing an accident. IMHO it is the unchecked authority where petty annoyances are seen as major acts of defiance. Nancy was paddled by a fair principal who had her best interests in mind. I don't think the children from Everman or Booneville are leaving their respective schools scarred by their experiences, whether paddling led to a more an orderly environment for learning is a matter for debate by its citizens and not the courthouses and legislative halls of state capitols but from the students, parents and the teachers in their legislative bodies closer to home and their community standards. With transparency comes accountability and the petty dictators are exposed to be just that. The built in entitlements and bureaucratic traditions have encouraged an arrogance that manifests itself globally within school systems. Students are not autonomous and certainly need more guidelines and rules to maintain an ordered environment for learning but that should never be achieved without the utmost respect for the students.

The journal, practically speaking the blogs, available by searching: "Mississippi Teachers Corps Corporal Punishment" and a little patience show what happens when the innocence and idealism encounters schools as outsiders is helpful indeed. IMHO some of these young teachers expose some petty dictators and tricksters who have their students welfare foremost in mind. The young and inexperience respect the teachers and students and have a lifetime ahead of them with a hope of making changes with the courage to teach in a world so different than their own. It augurs well for them and makes me proud and hopeful for the American Way

Bob T

Huh?

April 24 2010, 2:33 PM 

Teaching is most effective when students are relaxed and happy in their school environment.
Teachers themselves are most effective when they are happy in a well led school.
Arrogant Principles are abusive to Teachers as well as students.
Its the arrogance that needs to "go" not the Paddle.

Toby-John

I don't know if this is supposed to be a poem or words to live by, or what, but I was always most relaxed in a class of a teacher who didn't believe in scp.

If they don't have a paddle I can live with arrogance.

Bob T

April 24 2010, 2:37 PM 

AW; Thanks for the links, I will get to them when I can. Don't worry about Keila, I just want to ask her some questions.

American Way

April 24 2010, 2:58 PM 

Bob T: I understand Toby-John's POV but my experience with the Nuns were the same as yours. I do not disagree with Toby-John from a hypothetical POV when he wrote:

"I was always most relaxed in a class of a teacher who didn't believe in scp."

Bob T

April 24 2010, 5:15 PM 

AW; Toby didn't write that. I did.

Toby-John

LEARNING !!!

April 24 2010, 6:45 PM 

I said:

my exphasis was on Teaching be effective,
ie pupils LEARNING

not
on the pupils being relaxed !

The sentence may have been better written:

Teaching is most effective when students feel safe and able to learn in a well organised disciplined environment, with a strict but fair, quality teacher who is part of a strict but fair quality team.

Toby-John

Bob T

April 25 2010, 11:58 PM 

AW; I just got around to reading all of those new teachers accounts you posted links to ( some of them don't work btw). Maybe you could get Renee or TWP to read those and give their comments.

To be fair I have been to the MS Delta and it is as poor as you can get. It always has been. I used to go to Oxford on a regular basis. It's futher south and I am not sure it even qualifies as part of the delta. They don't seem to be so poor there.

It does seem like things have not changed there as far as scp goes. It sounds the same or worse than when I was in school in S.IL.

This restraining kids to be paddled really rubs the wrong way. I don't think it's legal. Who knows about MS though. I always considered it "unlawful restraint" it's a law that goes hand in hand with Kidnapping. If you get charged with Kidnapping you also get charged with Unlawful Resraint. They both carry stiff prison terms. And if you hit somebody while unlawfully restraining them it's first degree aggravated  battery (of a minor).

Let me tell you, you don't want to end up in prison on those kind of charges. Those other prisoners (male or female) will have a use for your buttocks that you probably wouldn't like any better than scp. They don't like child abusers in prison.

American Way

May 3 2010, 3:34 PM 

Many anecdotal accounts have been given about this practice. Laser technology being what it is this a new one.

The thought of selecting your own instrument brings to mind Gillian Jacobs unfortunate selection. Any comments. Would the principal send them back to the drawing board. I would imagine the good two shoes would make the fiercest instruments or maybe thay wouldn't have a clue for never being on the receiving end. prof n mentioned that I wasn't paddled but in my defense I goot the stick, dowel like instuments of varying widths. Very clever of the sisters to buy at local household good store. Bob T of course would like to see the ladies of TWP get a taste of what they serve others, than a scientific domestic experience of our very own Renee. happy.gif

I would imagine it would be up to the one administrator like Nana Barnes to judge whether it will make do.

Custom Made Modern Paddle

In the rural south a more bucolic, nonetheless, painful instrument of correction as Gillian Jacobs was to learn pants down and over Nana Barnes knee the old fashioned way. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Nana give it to me

YOU MONSTER sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

American Way

May 3 2010, 4:21 PM 

There was no laser technology in the days of yore. I buy this as authentic. The age of the participants judging by photos with the name of the school Euclid Middle School near Cleveland, but above all from the specific names given of the teachers lends it enough credibilty for my likings. Sure somethings have changed, but changed everywhere, including born again Christian schools? Me thinks not. These are the stories that Corpun can't and probably shouldn't cover but their anecdotal accounts are etched in history, including Bob T memories and mine. The memories shared here are part of benign memories on facebook. One should never characterize those with less benign memories in a negative light. Many members of this Happy Circle seem to think being victims of caning less harmful than non corporal punishment, but don't count Bob T or yours truly among them. CP hits closer to home, no pun intended. It sticks with me more than detention perhaps because of the stigma as well as the sting.

http://te-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=46561342329&topic=9743

Bob T

May 3 2010, 5:57 PM 

AW; I got a couple of paddlings that I earned. I don't feel bad about those at all. It's the numerous ones that I didn't deserve that still bother me.

prof.n

May 3 2010, 8:33 PM 

Hi American Way

Interesting thoughts American Way. As I said on the TWP thread memories are memories, and none can be seen as more authentic than another, so it would indeed not surprise me if alongside the benign memories you linked on this post, there exist for certain kids, some less than benign recollections .

The problem is kids are not identical . They are each frankly individually wired, so to some the experience of cp is abuse, to others lines, yet others detentions, ISS and so on.On top of that , of course , any excessive punishment, or punishment without intended leaning outcome is abuse per se. There are, as you will know , various social typologies and psychological profiles which could help define these traits, and give us guidance, but as I said education is to a great extent , and certainly in the state sector a mass provision , so however desirable, the solution is too resource intensive.

Any single punishment whether paddling, detention whatever, will have its subsets of students for whom it will not work, be counterproductive and in extremis, be abusive.

In my case I considered a three hour detention much more unpleasant than corporal punishment, and moreover was a punishment , because it was boring and repetitive. amnd i was hyperactive , could have led to further infractions , for refusing to comply. As it happens I was lucky and allowed to write an essay which made matters bearable. But that's me . Jenny subscribed the other day that to her doing 500 lines in a closed office would have made her conduct deteriorate, and maybe the office decor as well! . She would weigh up whether to skip detention or lines to receive a different punishment , in effect committing another offense in so doing. You experienced the 'Nuns' and their impact was clearly very negative ,and I could go on.

That's why I've come round to support a toolkit approach , where teachers are trusted use their knowledge on the ground to select effective strategies for discipline management related to the child. Now that is a very tall order and requires a fundamental adjustment in thinking from a straight forward punitive approach this is nasty sad.gifsad.gif ,and intended primarily to deter repetition, to an approach which prioritizes what we want to see as the end result, hopefully future compliance and 'behavioral adjustment '.The problem in ?Britain is that the toolkit has been left pretty bare ., particularly in some areas of the country where they are rapidly closing designated behavioral units

Of course its not a fix all solution, it requires some co operation and assumes honesty from the student , but if that is present, and with respect between the parties it should be achievable , it provides a firm platform on which to build, and not to break trust on either side.

As Renee said some time ago in response to this the problem in an American context comes from the way in which equality is understood in a quasi legal form. Because as has been said before this forum to treat the unequal equally is no equality at all. Over here , hopefully, we are more flexible. However we have a problem you apparently don't the unions , or certain ones anyway will not so-operate with Saturday detention, or after hours........extra contractual hours.happy.gif

Jenny

May 3 2010, 9:59 PM 

Hi prof.n

Jenny subscribed the other day that to her doing 500 lines in a closed office would have made her conduct deteriorate, and maybe the office decor as well!

To say nothing of the fabric of the building! wink.gif

Because as has been said before this forum to treat the unequal equally is no equality at all.

My objection would be to being given some punishment different from what other, equally guilty, offenders received. Much as I detested detention and would far rather have had the slipper, I did detention a few times because that was either the usual punishment for the offence or because a group of us were all given detention (likewise lines). In such cases, I was not being treated more (or less) harshly because of my sex. If we had all been given the choice of detention or the slipper I would probably have chosen the slipper regardless of what the others chose but, as we were all being treated equally, I accepted the punishment given. Equally, I would feel offended if I got let off with the slipper whilst my "partners in crime" got a detention - unless I knew that, given the choice, that's what they would have chosen.

I can accept that treating the unequal equally can be unfair, but presuming inequality were none exists is also unfair.

willyeckaslike

Instruments of correction

May 3 2010, 10:49 PM 

Hi Jenny

Also the other way round.

Treating the equal unequally is also unfair

prof.n

May 5 2010, 12:39 AM 

Hi Jenny , Willyeckalike,

Jenny said :

I can accept that treating the unequal equally can be unfair, but presuming inequality were none exists is also unfair.

And Willy

Treating the equal unequally is also unfair

To me the problem is this. Every one of us is individual, no one is average. We define the world through the lenses we choose to use - sex, ethnicity, belief system, financial status ,IQ whatever. In reality as Weber indicated ( and I'm no lover of the man)we all are located an the nexus of cross cutting social and economic groups, which ascribe status values.

But when we analyse we give priority to some and not to others . so our notion of equality is partial, selective and purposive. Purposive? Yes because our selection of criteria is determined by the questions we want to ask, and the answers we want to get........

I don't want to go back to black swans and Popper, but its very much the same thing. All modelling is purposive and exclusive in the strong sense of the words. It excludes without debate or aforethought.........

Can we avoid this? Well it would be good if we could, because at the moment we all appear to ask the same questions, but in reality we all have presupposive answers. There is no such thing as a blank canvas, because we only understand and interpret through our own experience.

In teaching I'm convinced the nearest grouping to the questions and answers of modern pedagogy are given by splitting the taught into groups around teaching and learning strategies , (ie related to psychology and social learning typologies ). some of these groups may be all or largely of one gender , religion whatever, but it would be the way, and similarly cross cutting strategies for behavioural adjustment.

You see so long as we stay as we are , accepting the rituals of modernism, PC, etc, we fall into the trap of the privileged doing better and better , faster and faster than anyone else. so then social background, financial power, and familial educational status are always the determinant of success.

I grade that unsatisfactory!

Jenny

May 5 2010, 2:40 AM 

Hi prof.n

In teaching I'm convinced the nearest grouping to the questions and answers of modern pedagogy are given by splitting the taught into groups around teaching and learning strategies , (ie related to psychology and social learning typologies ). some of these groups may be all or largely of one gender , religion whatever, but it would be the way, and similarly cross cutting strategies for behavioural adjustment.

Where students are split into groups according the their learning methods, the discrimination is based on a relevant factor - even when that factor is far more common in one sex than the other. The rare members of the opposite sex who also possess that factor are not excluded because they're the "wrong" sex. If, however, discrimination is based on sex (a co-incidental factor), atypical members of the opposite sex would be excluded.

It's not difficult to see why very bright pupils are taught differently from the less able. "Fairness" isn't usually even a consideration, it's just a matter of helping each child make the most of whatever talents he or she has. In the matter of punishment, fairness, and the perception of fairness, very definitely come into play. It's not obvious why, when two pupils commit identical offences, both having the same understanding of the rules and both having the same antecedence, one of them is caned and the other just asked nicely not to do it again or, possibly, given some token punishment. What does that teach them? The former learns that breaking the rules has undesirable consequences; the latter learns that rules can be ignored with impunity.

American Way

May 29 2010, 6:49 PM 

If mammals were rods how would you describe this Vietnamese instrument of correction? Duck bill platypos? It's not quite a cane, ruler or paddle but seems to do the trick. Was it design specifically for that purpose? Through the Google translation the exercise is taken lightly (mosquito flapping) but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif Within a native context you don't get the outrage from outside and won't unless put on youtube internationally that may be more likely if found in the Corpun monthly update.

A few questions come to my mind? Are girls spared the rod while lying on their tummies? Are pants ever removed as one (fantasy or fact) commentator wanted to see happen to the girls? It would seem lying flat down is considered the severest and may and girls may or may not spared that indignity from a Corpun Video? The length of the punishment seems interminable and varying the intensity in front of the class would show favoritism.

IMO there is little sympathy shown perhaps because they feel the punishment is just and their misbehavior is tolerable because no instruction is occurring so learning is not being disrupted unless by learning one means by example.

If Shirley Temple comes up again I'm going to shoot myself? happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

http://www.lookatvietnam.com/2009/09/parents-ponder-corporal-punishment.html

Click Video SCP 1

Click Video SCP 2

American Way

June 5 2010, 8:41 PM 

Admidst the many forms of school corporal punishment is the dreaded switch. Our country yore is replete with stories of schoolmarms punishing naughty school children. As the frontiers pushed the borders of our country into newer regions schools became makeshifts and woman who had no children of their own help raised educate the others' children. The men were hands on doing work on the outside so headmasters were rare and children left school after they could read and write and in most cases for girls to sew as well.

The dreaded switch

American Way

June 5 2010, 11:21 PM 

The child sent out to find a hickory stick is not much different than a youngster in woodshop making a paddle for their own correction.

Learning to the tune of the hickory stick.

You Tube Tune

Lick Em and Larn Em

Corporal punishment - inflicted by both male and female teachers - was not uncommon. Rulers and hickory switches which could cut through both clothing and flesh were liberally applied to ill-behaved students as a school discipline measure.

Take a look at these Common schoolhouse crimes and punishments:

3 lashes - for disrupting the class
4 lashes - for being late
4 lashes - for boys & girls playing together
6 lashes - for "sassing the teacher"
7 lashes - for telling lies
8 lashes - for swearing
10 lashes - for "misbehaving to girls"
10 lashes - for playing cards during recess

Discipline in an old west one room schoolhouse

American Way

Dunce Cap

June 6 2010, 5:54 PM 

The old picture of a child sitting in the corner with a "dunce cap" on their head was in fact actually used by some frontier teachers as a school discipline measure. However it was reserved mostly for minor infractions such as 'not reciting lessons correctly', or 'interrupting the teacher'.

The switch over from the switch to the paddle reflects post slavery attested to the picture of Abraham Lincoln in the picture below. Is that a statute of Jesus under Washington?

Classroom Period Piece

The flickr picture is from this very school room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flavor32/2446057867/

KK

June 6 2010, 9:20 PM 

Americaway wrote:

The switch over from the switch to the paddle reflects post slavery attested to the picture of Abraham Lincoln in the picture below. Is that a statute of Jesus under Washington?

Classroom Period Piece

The flickr picture is from this very school room.

The picture shows a faily rough mockup. The electric light fittings, windows, walls and highly polished floor look very modern. The desks and some of the other objects may be from an earlier time.

I do not understand how or why the paddle came to be used in USA schools. There is clear evidence that slaves were paddled. It has been suggested the paddle was favoured because it was less likely to leave long lasting marks that might affect the resale value of the slave. But what has this to do with schools? (The slave states did become the main school paddling states).

Fraternities used the paddle. Graduates who may have been in fraternites started to be recruited as teachers in the 1880's. This was a time of reform and a move towards kinder child rearing practices. Perhaps these factors are connected?

But why did fraternities adopt the paddle?

Are the hornbook or shingle classroom precurors?

American Way

June 6 2010, 11:27 PM 

Just a theory but the paddling custom of a fraternity or sorority was that the upperclassmen made their pledges slave for them during a brief initiation period to prove their loyalty. Colleges atarted hazing over 100 years ago.

The paddle not only left fewer marks closer to auction day, a rebellious or lazy slave brought in less money. Paddles were often used by slave owners on women and children for it was considered gentler.

The use of the paddle on a child's buttocks was probably considered kinder than the "lash" but also established the teachers authority. This is just a theory. Corporal punishment has such a history in this country considering how young a nation we are. New England appropriated the means of the UK while the south the padddle and the frontier the hickory stick. One thing for sure there was a lot more order and respect for elders.

Community values were respected and teachers were free to use or refrain from using but it was a tool usually clearly on display.

American Way

June 11 2010, 5:39 AM 

Living museums have become tourists attractions. Choose your instrument? This 1850 Virginia (pre-Emancipation of slaves has two instruments of correction the paddle and the stick. The large paddle appears to be resting on the desk. The hickory stick Hickory stick in the corner. The stick is from the 18th century frontier days and the paddle from slavery days.

The switch for the little boy. The woman ringing the bell looks like she has still another instrument of correction perhaps a small paddle for over the knee.

Assuming the postion for the switch

Ringing the bell with a small paddle

President Milliard Filmore in the 1850'a appears on the wall with paddle and hickory stick

School corporal punishment was very controversial in 1850's and in the North Henry David Thoreau resigned from his teaching position when superiors insisted he administer corporal punishment on his grammar school students. His civil disobedience went beyoond slavery. Thoreau was lucky to find a job teaching at the Concord Center School Massachusetts, but he resigned after just two weeks because he disagreed with the school's policy of using corporal punishment on its students.

Another_Lurker

June 11 2010, 8:49 PM 

Hi American Way. If that really is Millard Fillmore in that picture my congratulations! You must know your US Presidents very well to identify him, even on the biggest of the Flickr pictures. I certainly couldn't identify a picture of John Russell, 1st Earl Russell, who was UK Prime Minister 1850 to 1852, even if it filled the entire screen! Interestingly he was a member of the Whig party, as was Millard Fillmore.

But I digress. I have studied the picture you caption 'President Milliard Filmore in the 1850'a appears on the wall with paddle and hickory stick' very closely and I'm darned if I can see a paddle. I can see a stick, which may or may not be hickory, but it appears to be the sort used by elderly or injured persons to assist ambulation, not the sort used to beat children - at least I hope not! happy.gif

American Way

June 11 2010, 9:02 PM 

Paddle reference. The paddle shape is much more likely than the Oxford Principal video in the Prom Paddling thread that highlights the centrality of football in the south. Goodness, a coach change was worth an interview?

http://www.maliasmiles.com/blueridge/vaexplore.htm

hcj

Spot the Paddle

June 11 2010, 9:09 PM 

I think you will find the paddle is sitting on top of the desk. As to the stick - I had one in the 1960s that wasn't much different, made from thick rattan with the root culm as a handle. It was sold as a punishment implement but caused nasty bruises. I would describe it as brutal.

Another_Lurker

Re: Spot the Paddle

June 12 2010, 2:05 AM 

Thank you hcj and American Way. I can indeed see the paddle now. It is rightly said that the best way to hide something is to leave it in full view! happy.gif The stick in the corner, on which hcj makes interesting observations, is certainly not the one with which the teacher is chastising the boy in the 'Assuming the postion for the switch' link, though it does still appear to be leaning up in the corner in that photograph. Perhaps the large stick was for use on the big boys and (in deference to Jenny happy.gif) girls.

hcj

Not so serious questions

June 14 2010, 2:32 PM 

American Way, I am responding to your last post in the "serious question" thread here because I think it is better not to digress from the important current subject there.

You wrote: From what I can gather from Dr Dominum's running lists this offense would not merit six of the best. I am amused by that expression. Would they be six of the average?

Doctor Dominum may like to clarify, but I think it probably would be at the high end of penalties. As to the difference between average and best cane strokes, I think Dr. D. has explained this before. "The best" involves rather more forceful strokes and a longer period between them. The expression "the best" is traditional, even if a bit silly. Maybe it should be "the worst"!

Would all school canes be more alike by age now that there are fewer and fewer vendors?

Although there were more vendors, I don't think there were ever many makers. A cane importer in South East England was by far the biggest supplier, sending huge numbers of canes around the world. I did have the figures, but I am sorry, I have lost them at the moment.

Canes are natural materials and every one is different, even those made today. Apparently small differences can have a significant effect on the results.

Canes do have an advantages over paddles for today there seems to be only "kinky paddles" and none sold for educational purposes. RWP has been struggling with finding the perfect paddle for sometime.

I could suggest some suppliers in South Korea,who only sell implements for educational use,if Renée is interested.

American Way

June 14 2010, 4:01 PM 

hcj You're right as usual. I'm sorry it would be more appropriate to have placed this under this thread. I posts so frequently it just didn't cross my mind. I have posted something there just now. Since Renee cannot give her email address, while it is pure speculation, many more people read this network forum between private (unreported paddlers) and public school here than TWP. Why? Corporal punishment is a subject that anyone who Googles knows about as opposed to TWP. I'm sure our honorary lifetime member, Paula Flowe, is well aware of this estimable Forum and is one of the reasons why Renee doesn't want to become a member.

I think Renee and I'm sure others are concerned with the size that varies from school to school. Some schools are quite specific while others are so vague they say facsimile thereof. It's not fair for a child to be paddled with a college paddle as frequently used because it is readily available and used at my cousin's school. She would never paddle a student for she thinks that parents take their kids to school everyday. She has a point how can you act in loco parentis when the parents are living around the corner and with their church they have a common bond. I have never seen Korean paddles that resemble ones here. Too often the way they administer corporal punishment is not my cup of tea, even one sip. An observation is not a censure.

If you cannot give a URL maybe the dimension?

Back to the other point of "six of the worst", would you tell the student anything less? Why not just give fewer strokes ot is that defacto given? I'm still "relatively" new here and not at all familiar with the cane, if you don't include the "sisters" different width pool sticks. Give them credit for their creativity. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif The strap and only on the bottom and only in the principals office was used in my nearest public school.

hcj

June 14 2010, 4:45 PM 

American Way, you wrote: I have never seen Korean paddles that resemble ones here.

No, I'm sorry that I may have misled you. The company I had in mind make implements that are more "baton" style, but they would probably supply US style paddles to special order. Their main business is in other handmade woodcraft items that are nothing to do with cp.

You say you do not like what you have seen of Korean punishment. Perhaps I can just quote a brief extract of a letter from a Canadian teacher who spent some time in a Korean school:

I'd like to point out that the kind of physical punishment typical in Korea is quite mild: a few taps on the hand, leg or whatever, that sting for a few seconds. The extreme cases are not everyday occurrences. When I did martial arts in Korea, I got some physical punishment (getting hit with a stick) as part and parcel of the training, and it was of short duration and not all that bad. Comparing this quick thing with the kind of protracted spankings etc I got a few times from my parents as a child is like comparing a grape to a watermelon.

As with other places, I am sure there are examples of good and bad practice.

American Way

Korean CP

June 14 2010, 7:57 PM 

the way they administer corporal punishment that I should have qualified by saying in front of others as was the case in my time and place and a handful of places in the states. Most handbooks have in common that it is not to be done in front of others in a classroom. I'm not comfortable with group office paddling although that provides transparency of fairness among their fellows. I know it's not done, thankfully, in front of others most places here. Some exceptions include a Memphis charter school and a Louisiana Christian school that don't provide the privacy that we have become accustomed to in our pluralistic society. That being said, the sisters of no mercy, administered corporal punishment in front of the whole high school class in a homogeneous one. It must have been embarrassing for some boy to be hit by a woman their grandmother's age or for a girl (my older sister's 17 year old classmate) in front of a mixed gender classroom. IMO charter, military and Christian schools are more likely to forgo the niceties of privacy for they are homogeneous.

American Way

July 12 2010, 11:19 PM 

In the States there is a variety of instruments of correction used to keep children in line. This is from a popular night soap opera, Desperate Housewives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmJFPmDvrs

American Way

August 14 2010, 7:49 PM 

Although somewhat off topic again but what else is new for the American Way, here are birch rod specifications for judicial and not school corporal punishment. A few schools here spell out graded paddles while I understand that's standard fare with the cane. It is sad to see juveniles as judicial as opposed to school corporal punishment under ten but we had reform schools here.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/images/21cc/crime/transcript1646.htmlp

American Way

August 14 2010, 8:19 PM 

American Way

Knout

August 28 2010, 9:14 PM 

One of the harshest instruments of correction is the knout used on a student in William M Cooper's History of the Rod. There was a recent documentary that I didn't bookmark showing a lady being spared the indignity of exposure by having her lower torso flogged by the knout with only her tormented face shown. It was a "fictional historical" documentary worth noting for its credibility. that form of whipping often led to death but in her this case it was a thorough chastisement. Please post if you find it. Why I didn't bookmark I'll never know.

Cooper's book relates the following. A lady of rank (domestics were not treated with such deference) was summoned to the secret police and was asked to come forward where a trap door suddenly gave way under her, and she slipped down till she was supported only by her clothes, which had gathered up all around her arms; she hung through the ceiling of the re room below, where a man plied a whip on her unprotected body. I'm not saying it happened but it must be a part of their collected narrative to appear in a serious documentary like fiction. What instrument of correction would have been used years ago in that general region?

American Way

September 4 2010, 7:42 PM 

The history of the instrument of correction by its strongest opponents (e.g. Paula Flowe) hearkens back to slavery where a slave could be corporally chastised without leaving telltale signs that a lashing would. It would lower the value at auction to know a slave was recently incorrigible.
It is a dramatic explanation that doesnt fully explain why whites (still so) have been the ones most often on the receiving end, however disproportionately by race. The last enclaves of corporal punishment in the schools and the homes are often in the areas where spare the rod and spoil the child prevails. This is primarily in the rural south. The anti-CP lobby has made great inroads in urban areas with pluralistic values.
The vocabulary of the rural south lingers when you hear words like licks and woodshed. The popular show the Beverly Hillbilly humor was based on the juxtaposition of the two worlds. For Jethro and Ellie Mae the woodshed was never far away from the mansion.

The "word lingo" points to the shingle in the woodshed (male domain) having a lot to with the evolution of the use of the paddle. The rural south was more likely to be using a paddle while the strap (male belt) was used in the public school in the urban northeast 50 years ago. The corporal punishment of girls was rare. Some say with choice the female are getting paddled more proportionally from anecdotal accounts found in the teachers chat board.

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Paddle_(spanking)

Ellie Mae was always attired dressed like girl being taken to the woodshed. She raised more than eyebrows back in the sixties.

Girl Taken to the Woodshed

American Way

September 4 2010, 7:46 PM 

In the "Lingo Link Search" put paddle spanking and then voila.

American Way

November 2 2010, 5:20 AM 

Like the knout, the Korean paddle is to be feared. Modified from judicial corporal punishment is used in the school. Of note is that Seoul will no longer permit caning or exercises as of a few weeks ago.

In New England children on field trips play act some of the Puritan tortures and I take by the levity this is the case with mock bonding. Historical story followed by a not so pleasant encounter and then mocked one. It's a form of crucifixion.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

November 8 2010, 1:47 AM 

The instrument of correction, the switch, is a generational matter when it comes to Black cultural history. Holly Robinson-Peete in the talk show starting at 6:00 minutes does something politically incorrect and can lead to a knock of a dorr from a social service agency. Is spanking against the law? No. But what constitutes abuse. Holly takes a position more likely to be taken by a fellow African American. N.B. She is 46 so her grandmother would be of the generation that would switch Holly's mom. Corporal punishment got passed down but in a milder form.

I asked an eight grader why his grandparents treat him so well and while all kids hear about how strict they were with them growing up? I explained that your parents have to play the heavy while your grandparent can afford to spoil you for they're not responsible. The boy said no, it's because they didn't have child abuse laws back then.

Interesting if you read the dialogue from Nana Barnes switching Britta the issue wasn't so much teasing her for being quite the item (quite flattering) when she was young but for her to call her Nana without being properly introduced. In a sense she was saying if you want to be family get me a switch. Troy's cry she's not family is just the point Nana Barnes wants to make.

Britta chose a difficult way to prove Troy wrong in believing that her mother was a sweet old wheel chair bound nursing home resident.

In the closing scene where Britta has changed and finds it too painful to sit at the bar, she respectfully calls her M'am but lays into her by calling her a monster while she rubs her bottom. Because she says you're right in saying (before she met her) that she was a monster he was not acting like family and was to be switched as a result.

Six minutes into the first link the African American connection is made. The second link shows the flak she gets for her pro CP position and the courage she showed in expressing it. The third link gives a pictorial of the encounter with Britta condescendingly looking down at Nana. The fourth is the scene at the bar with the precious "put on" pose of Britta as she looks down in anger at Nana is in the last link. And of course the penultimate is the shortened version of the switching.

CLICK

http://twitter.com/hollyrpeete/status/307840338108416

http://illbethereforu.tumblr.com/

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

November 8 2010, 2:02 AM 

Try this for the third link. How many men do you think I have laid with? Respect your elders by first being told what to call me. If she knew her she wouldn't ask that question.

CLICK

American Way

November 25 2010, 4:27 PM 

Cane and very old paddle. Vintage school rooms have this shaped paddle while later ones were like fraternity and sorority ones. Fascinating?

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

March 11 2011, 2:53 AM 

In my neighboring public school the principal had a strap/belt was used and NOT a paddle. This MS school refers to "licks" with a 3 inch rubber strap in the 1950's corresponding to my older siblings time frame but in the Northeast. So much for those who doubted the veracity of my account that straps were used south of the Canadian border outside prisons and reformatories. Today school officials don't think twice about having a girl bend over or change the dose. The girls wouldn't mind they asked for it.

Where has decorum and manners gone? With Scarlett O'Hara and Gone with the Wind? Men use to fight to protect women and children and would even allow them the courtesy of of first dibs for a life raft in a sinking ship. Men would fight wars to protect them. Are we really better off ignoring differences of gender by surrendering to the expediency of political correctness? Like all pendulums they never stay still. Some people are even shy in addressing a group of adults as ladies and gentlemen. I don't consider myself among that group.

Maybe the strap would make for less colorful headlines than a bruising paddle and would inflict similar pain. The strap often had a different target than the bottom.

CLICK

American Way

March 11 2011, 12:09 PM 

A paddle and a riding crop on the same day used by this former Germnan slave labor camp survivor, Bohden Pashkowsky.

CLICK

American Way

March 17 2011, 3:19 AM 

The riding crop was an educational exhibit not a disciplinary tool.

CLICK

When a paddle breaks?

CLICK

CLICK

The Communists peril!!!

CLICK

American Way

April 21 2011, 2:16 AM 

One person's theory on the evolution of instruments of correction. I'm not in complete agreement but some of this makes sense. The part about urbanization and mass education may play a role in the decline of the use of the paddle. More about that in my next posting under TWP.

http://www.voy.com/204228/12368.html

American Way

Re: Instruments of correction 1955

June 15 2011, 12:58 PM 

In light of the paddling and caning of 17 year olds (prom paddling) and our headmistress poster it should be noted that few of these girls would be "spanked" at home because and because of childhood obesity, especially the gluteus maximus with emphasis on maximus, an instrument of correction other than the hand may have been needed. Renee mentioned that she would have experienced double jeopardy with her father's belt if she misbehaved in school on the high school level. One would have to wonder whether this girl was being just brattish or may have had special needs, something that would not be considered then but not now. Certainly this posting is relevant to school corporal punishment by extrapolation for the miscreant was a schoolgirl. BTW. The cop (constable on patrol) came in the nick of time. wink.gif Sunday is Father's Day here. My Dad would not have enabled that mother but would have diffused the situation differently. He despised nor would he allow us to call him a cop for its British roots. He thought of himself as a sworn officer of the law. There was a day when all you needed was a billy club and the words stop in the name of the law and not cuffs and guns. Then is then and now is now.

CLICK

American Way

July 11 2011, 8:27 PM 

Spoons are for cooking. Belts are for holding up pants. Hands are for loving. Rods are for chastening. You don't get chastened in public or parochial school but among that sad lot called born agains. I guess belts and wooden spoons were cutting into their business. Their product beats the others hands down. The others don't have a smooth handle. happy.gif

CLICK

CLICK

Another_Lurker

July 12 2011, 12:49 AM 

Hi American way. A most interesting post. The lady holding the 'rod' looks fairly modern, and the rod she is holding certainly appears to be the one in the advert. But surely adverts in that old fashioned style can't date from any later than the 1950s!

The rod looks a vicious implement, and it would be interested to know why the advertiser thought that Proverbs 22:15 and Proverbs 23:13-14

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

were mandating the use of nylon, which I seem to recall reading is a particularly unpleasant material to be beaten with.

For some reason I had failed to read your previous post in the thread. The Officer's exit line is superb! I recall policemen like that from my youth, UK contemporaries of your Father I guess.

American Way

August 11 2011, 9:45 PM 

The dreaded razor strop was a staple of paternal corporal punishment in the past. At least 4 times a year I have a barbers shave. It's costly but a real treat.

Straight edge razors are out of fashion but as Renee mentioned her father's belt would await her if she was paddled at school in TWP.

Final instrument of correction: Anecdote story (Hazel Hurd posture a bonus) followed by Cowcatcher's Daughter photo and video. More to follow in Moonlighting thread.

CLICK

CLICK

http://youtu.be/K76S3PJx8xs

American Way

August 27 2011, 4:02 PM 

The issue of which instrument of correction is best to use is not a new one. I enjoyed the illustrations.

CLICK

American Way

August 29 2011, 9:21 PM 

The early days of the USA there was much mention of ferrules and rawhide where either the hands and the bottoms were targets of corporal punishment. The last link gives an array of instruments of correction worthy of former Vice-President Dick Cheney or the Founding Father of enhanced interrogation.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

"The early instruments used in school discipline were the cat-o'-nine tails and the rod, and there were various modes of punishment, carrying the offender on the back of a pupil and then flogging him, seating the boys with the girls and the girls with the boys, fastening a split stick to the ear or the nose, laying the scholar over the knee and applying the ferrule to the part on which he sat. These punishments were in vogue for years after the common schools were established. For the benefit of young teachers I will give the mode of correction. The masters invariably kept what was called toms, or, more vulgarly, cat-o'-ninetails, all luck being in odd numbers. This instrument of torture was an oaken stick about twelve inches long, to which was attached a piece of rawhide cut in strips, twisted while wet, and then dried. It was freely used for correction, and those who were thus corrected did not soon forget it, and not a few carried the marks during life. Another and no less cruel instrument was a green cowhide."

CLICK

American Way

Paddle vs. the strap

September 1 2011, 9:32 PM 

Bare bottom corporal punishment occurred right up to the early seventies in boys training schools. IMHO solitary confinement for thirty days is cruel and unusual punishment.

Robert P. Heyne says strap is safer than the paddle (first link). Second link mentions 5 on the bare max. Third link notes how corporal punishment was stopped by court order.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

September 3 2011, 1:55 AM 

Strap became the preferred instrument of correction over the cane. Here is to the centennial of the schoolboy strike. September 13, 1911.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

September 27, 1911

THE USE OF THE CANE.

PROHIBITED IN NORTH CANTERBURY.

The English school children who went out on strike the other day seem to have made the abolition of the cane as an instrument of corporal punishment one of the planks of their strike platform. "No cant, less work, and more holidays in hot weather," comprised their short but comprehensive program of reform. It is rather interesting to note (says the Lyttelton Tunes) that the use of a cane or stick for the infliction of corporal punishment is absolutely prohibited in North Canterbury schools, and, probably, the schools in many other education districts of New Zealand. The regulations in North Canterbury prescribe that a leather strap not less than 1 1/2 in. wide, not more than 25in. long, 1/4 in. thick, and 4 3/4 oz. in weight, may be used. The dimensions stated represent a maximum, and a strap of such size may be employed upon older boys, when the infliction of severe punishment is necessary. For ordinary purposes, and in the case of younger boys or girls, a much lighter strap must be used. Only the head masters and head mistresses of schools are authorized to administer corporal punishment, except at schools at which the average attendance exceeds 400, when other teachers may be authorized. Teachers are enjoined by the Board to inflict corporal punishment t( with the greatest care and moderation."

KK

The use of the cane prohibited in North Canterbury

September 3 2011, 5:18 AM 

This was rather old "news" in 1911. The strap replaced the cane in North Canterbury primary schools in 1994. The Ohinemuri Gazette was apparently slow to catch on.

Many will have noticed that newspapers rarely have blank columns. Every column inch must be routinely filled and most newspapers come in multiples of 4 pages - 4, 8, 12, 16, .... This presents the problem lamented by most esteemed Another_Lurker in the excellent but lamentably neglected The 100-word-limit school CP thread. Newspapers often need to manufacture, recycle, steal or borrow copy to fill their column inches.

American Way

100 word limit? Is this entry too long?

September 3 2011, 12:40 PM 

The first link indicates that in the early part of the twentieth century there was a belief on the part of many that the strap was more humane than the cane. Instruments of correction vary for a plethora of reasons and I am at a loss why the strap prevailed in Canada while the hickory stick and paddle did here? There is something iconic about the antebellum hickory stick and then the progression to the paddle from there or why the hand more commonly employed on girls for whatever reason. Is that portion of a girl's body more delicate or personal or is it because some are more "bottom aware" than others? (; The safety issue concerning the hand is a concern for prof n and my being more "hands aware". (: The Australians seem to use the word smacking instead of spanking. Does smacking mean basically the over the knee like domestic punishment or does it apply throughout a range of corporal punishment methods.

American Way

Sleeping Saturday Morning

September 3 2011, 12:46 PM 

My dyslexia sabotaged my emoticons. Didn't catch that in my preview. happy.gifwink.gif

Doctor Dominum

September 3 2011, 1:24 PM 

The Australians seem to use the word smacking instead of spanking. Does smacking mean basically the over the knee like domestic punishment or does it apply throughout a range of corporal punishment methods.

It's complicated.

'Smacking' is the term Australians will tend to use to refer to the idea of domestic corporal punishment in general - "He got smacked." "If you do that again, I'll smack your bottom.", etc, etc. Strictly speaking, it doesn't refer to the use of an implement, but if people are just talking totally generically about corporal punishment, they might still use the term ("Teachers should have the right to smack kids," for example.) Slap sometimes gets used in the same way.

The typical smack is delivered to a child who is standing up. Grabbed by one arm with one hand and smacked across the bottom with the other. The idea of putting a child over your knees certainly isn't unknown, but that is considered a bit more formal, and if that is done, most Australians would call that a spanking rather than a smack. But again, spanking can be used somewhat generically as well.

There is an issue of 'class' in operation as well. 'Spanking' is more of a middle class word in Autralia, than 'smacking'. But that's changed over time - with shows like Oprah and Doctor Phil running on a daily basis on Australian day time television (not much longer for Oprah - we're a little behind the US as I understand it), a lot of American terminology tends to permeate into our... I'm not sure how to put this without causing offence, so let's just say "the type of people who have time to watch daytime television all day." So they are increasingly using words the same way Americans do.

Doctor Dominum

September 3 2011, 1:29 PM 

Further to my last message - just to avoid confusion, let me make it entirely clear that there is nothing wrong with the way Americans talk (not that there is only one way Americans talk). American English is a perfectly valid form of the language and the fact that different words are used in subtly different ways in different English speaking nations is, in fact, one of the things that makes the language as rich as it is.

But that is why it concerns me where certain people in Australia adopt American terminology apparently totally non-cognisant of the fact that that is what they are doing.

KK

September 3 2011, 8:56 PM 

The language is a living, developing, evolving thing but not all changes are desirable, especially those leading to a loss of precision or subtlety.

I understand a smack to be a blow, usually with the open hand, usually to the buttocks, a word of British origin and still common here in NZ. I understand the word spank to be the approximate American equivalent of "smack". Note, however "Spanking" as a euphemism.

American Way

Bundle twisted hickory switches fire hardened

September 11 2011, 9:45 PM 

USA Historic progression of instruments of correction.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/publicschool/evolving_classroom/discipline.html

Maybe the school master from Ohio (scroll to bottom) paid $140 fine after he whipped the female pupil and not for the privilege prior. The instrument of correction is a bundle of hickory switches twisted together and hardened by the fire. Ouch.

Bundle twisted hickory switches fire hardened

Hickory switch porter microbrewery happy.gif

Another_Lurker

September 12 2011, 1:06 AM 

Hi, American Way. You simply have to use your excellent research skills to determine more about the Ohio Schoolmaster, the female pupil, and the bundle of hickory withes twisted together and hardened in the fire! $140 is an enormous fine for 1869! Surely they'd have sent him to prison instead!

Besides it doesn't say it was a fine. It says he 'paid $140 for the privilege'. Was this some advanced money raising scheme by the young lady, perhaps in aid of her favourite charity? I think we should be told! happy.gifwink.gifhappy.gif

When I saw the 'Hickory Switch Porter' I thought 'Oh yes, a joke with a photo-shopped label. But it appears to be genuine. Fallen Angel Brewery, of Battle, Sussex, UK (where king Harold got the arrow in his eye in 1066) really did produce a run of this product. What's more I traced a large version of the label illustration on a Spanish fetish site (wonderful thing, this new Google picture matching facility) and the signature on it is that of the lady who produces some of the brewery's labels.

American Way

September 12 2011, 6:48 AM 

Good catch. It is strange that a California paper would run the story about an Ohio schoolmaster but the world has only gone so digital and generous in its output. I was unable to unearth material closer to home from Bristow Iowa but am unable so far to unearth (beaver term) it. happy.gif May I ask our esteem poster and far more resourceful, KK, for a newspaper archive to search. I appreciate it this even more when he considers that chastisements between the genders runs against natural order. wink.gif

American Way

September 12 2011, 7:05 AM 

The best I could do under the search for Ohio Schoolmaster was this gem. Serendipity is delightful. happy.gif

CLICK

American Way

Ohio schoolmaster whips female pupil?

September 12 2011, 12:58 PM 

The $140 was probably a years pay. That could have meant a year suspension but who can be sure like the pound and dollar exchange rates? It was a rather severe instrument of correction when one considers how it was used in other contexts.

CLICK

American Way

Petite Woman Teacher Switches Pupil.

September 13 2011, 2:12 AM 

Some people feel that marks alone means brutality. This is a court case that proves otherwise.

CLICK

American Way

Anecdotes and conjectures

November 26 2011, 2:39 PM 

I have lived in different regions and the paddle was not as common in the Northeast than it was in the Mid-Atlantic states in the early seventies as anecdotally attested to my fifth grade boy to the principal's office. It was still called getting the stick in both public and parochial schools. Later the paddle became ubiquitous for whatever reason. I sent a 5th grade boy down to the principal office and he got paddled when I would have imagined he would have gotten the ruler or stick. There were souvenir paddles introduced that hung from nails in homes with pithy sayings that were non-existent in the fifties and sixties. That might be confirmed by EBAY ads. I know my esteemed fellow researcher kk cares little about my conjectures (I may be over-personalizing it) but I will nonetheless proffer them as well as my statistically meaningless anecdotes in his eyes as well.

I do feel there is a carry over between slavery and prison paddling for they both involve deprivations of rights. Slavery being institutional by nature. I am saying this not to falsely bolster the anti-CP zealots assertion about SCP being barbaric for its possible slavery roots. School children came home to the switch and were not unfamiliar with it in a school setting. Take sometime and read my recent Kentucky school history posting. There are humorous stories to be found thereI mentioned before a strap was used when there was no such thing as a female principal so there may have been a natural carry over of the domestic use of the belt..

KK

Re: Anecdotes and conjectures

November 26 2011, 5:44 PM 

[. . .] I know my esteemed fellow researcher KK cares little about my conjectures [. . .]

American Way,

You are very prolific and have found a lot of interesting stuff. I am sure others will join me in thanking you for your efforts even if we occasionally complain about broken or blocked hyperlinks, and inaccessible pages.

Your conjectures are interesting even if I do not respond with specific comments. Generally, I do not know what to say and do not want to go on about primary and secondary sources of information. Your conjectures have suggested specific lines of inquiry in my frustrated and frustrating research into the origin of the US school paddle.

I do not discount the possibility of a link between slavery and corporal punishment practices in US schools. However, so far, I have not discovered any evidence of a direct link.

American Way

November 26 2011, 6:48 PM 

Perhaps a link between slavery and prison flogging would be a more natural fit? From there it can become reform schools ....... The bucolic one room schoolhouses with hickory sticks and switches in frontier times did not preclude the paddle by any means but made it less an instrument of choice. A verifiable source (school teachers my age) would be a strap in a principals office right through the 1970's.

KK

November 26 2011, 8:17 PM 

American Way,

See here for my speculations as to how the paddle might have become popular in US schools.

There is reliable evidence that in some of the Southern States the law / judiciary took over the punishment of slaves in an effort to avoid the excesses of overseers and owners. Slaves might be paddled by court order.

There is one interesting case reported in Louisiana. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the link again but it was reported in a bilingual newspaper in the first half of 1800s. A 12-year-old house slave (Silas?) was suspected of stealing a watch. He was paddled until he confessed but then proved very resistant to saying what he had done with it. He may have been paddled to death. The possibility that his initial confession extracted by torture was false does not seem to have occurred to anyone.

American Way

The switch

December 9 2011, 5:46 AM 

Beaver to the rescue.

CLICK

CLICK

Another_Lurker

December 9 2011, 9:57 PM 

Hi American Way,

Yes, but is the Beaver gnawing it or queuing up to apply it to the young lady's bottom? I think we should be told! happy.gif

American Way

December 10 2011, 12:06 AM 

I have been gnawing on that for some time Another Lurker for Gillian Jacobs has been very naughty of late. wink.gif

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

Another_Lurker

December 10 2011, 1:12 AM 

Good Heavens! I say old chap, this is a family Forum don'tcha know! We don't want any of that lesbianating stuff around here! They might frighten the horses! happy.gif

American Way

Knotty Beaver

December 10 2011, 1:42 AM 

Beaver is getting knottier. CLICK

American Way

Re: Bundle twisted hickory switches fire hardened

January 15 2012, 9:14 PM 

Nostalgia American School Corporal Punishment. The dreaded switch. sad.gif

www.*

Network54 does not permit linking to such sites. Ed

This message has been edited by larry1951 on Jan 15, 2012 9:20 PM

American Way

Rubber Hose

January 24 2012, 4:19 PM 

Rarely use today, thank heavens is the dreaded rubber hose. It left fewer marks but was nonetheless painful. Not surpringly boy whippings do not gather the media attention. The use was both borstal and scholastic settings. That may be due to gender stereotyping.

October 6, 1924 Rubber Hose

CLICK

The boys cheered the teacher. With a gathering of 1500 concerned it must have been quite controversial for an instrument of correction. A limp and ragged bit of rubber hose, resting for the moment on the kitchen table of JR Silk, insurance salesman, has wrecked the peace.

July 13, 1911. A brutal case of a refractory girl and a rubber hose. Another May 21, 1910. May 29, 1899.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

Defending the rubber hose. December 7, 1911 and April 17, 1919

CLICK

CLICK

Use Forbidden. June 5, 1921.

CLICK

American Way

February 11 2012, 6:23 PM 

Uncle Sam Okays Spanking Device.

CLICK

UK Role Play Scholastic Devices. If she were on the receiving end she wouldn't be smiling throughout the video. A little discipline of the hands would do her a world of good, since she thinks it's underrated . wink.gif

http://youtu.be/hnH2ioWA0pA

American Way

Repost

February 11 2012, 6:53 PM 

My apologies I have referenced this before here but the woman's face was worth the admission in the tabloids. Also, here is a follow up.

http://agonist.org/node/11139/print

Lastly, this girl's doleful look and lugubrious expression makes me think that she is surrendering it to someone to use on her and not protesting it.

CLICK

American Way

Abu Graib School

February 21 2012, 1:43 AM 

Instruments of torture included cowhide, ferule, cat and rattan. I was amused by the telegraph. It doesn't take much to amuse me. Page 223.

CLICK

American Way

Dreaded Rawhide

February 22 2012, 6:44 PM 

Along with the switch there was the dreaded rawhide that younger girls endured as well as older ones. The earliest matrix of lashes was previously referenced but with an elaboration.

Mason Street School House. Lashes from a rawhide whip

CLICK

Training Girls School at Geneva Ilinois. Mrs Ophelia L Amigh.

CLICK

Georgia Penitentiary . White girl make Negro bed? Georgia's Disgrace.

CLICK

American Way

Garden Hose

February 27 2012, 8:07 AM 

Another not so rare instrument of correction.

http://news.iafrica.com/sa/743180.html

American Way

Mr Bharrier Mark Book

March 13 2012, 5:28 AM 

In my area there were all male Catholic High Schools run by "Christian" Brothers. It was often threatened that if you did not behave you would be sent to the Catholic Orphanage or to the all male Catholic High School with a long commute. It was the rich kids that were educated by the brothers. The best basketball games were to be had at the orphanage's basketball court.

Here is a rather an unorthodox baseball bat as an instrument of correction by a layman. Most of the other brothers instruments were of a lighter variety with the exception of Brother Peter who had other hardware. I assume other than baseball bats. I guess upon this rock I shall build this school.

CLICK

American Way

Mr Bharrier Mark Book

March 13 2012, 5:28 AM 

In my area there were all male Catholic High Schools run by "Christian" Brothers. It was often threatened that if you did not behave you would be sent to the Catholic Orphanage or to the all male Catholic High School with a long commute. It was the rich kids that were educated by the brothers. The best basketball games were to be had at the orphanage's basketball court.

Here is a rather an unorthodox baseball bat as an instrument of correction by a layman. Most of the other brothers instruments were of a lighter variety with the exception of Brother Peter who had other hardware. I assume other than baseball bats. I guess upon this rock I shall build this school.

CLICK

American Way

April 6 2012, 3:37 PM 

Efficaciousness of certain hairbrushes are discussed and the cane is defended as a superior instrument of correction. Thanks to a heads up by KK I have accessed the Library of Congress newspapers. This has been a fertile source. By serendipity I found not only the story of Bridgeton, New Jersey in the Evening World there appeared the story of the official spanker, Trenton New Jersey and now Weewauken New Jersey there must have been a lot of bad girls in the spring of 1920.

Maybe some help on this is needed for the second link refers back to a letter to the editor that I cannot find that must have been just a few days prior. His comment was upon a letter by J. F. F. Entitled Spankings The first entry is not part of the stories that follow but is from the same paper at the same time. This could have initiated the series of letter. This is all from the same newspaper.

To spank or not to spank.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030193/1920-07-28/ed-1/seq-17.pdf

Hairbrush spankings

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030193/1920-08-11/ed-1/seq-22.pdf

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030193/1920-08-09/ed-1/seq-16.pdf

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030193/1920-08-11/ed-1/seq-22.pdf

American Way

April 11 2012, 4:00 AM 

A walk down history lane with the instruments of correction both judicial and scholastic. Some of these instruments are terrifying.

CLICK

American Way

May 28 2012, 1:39 AM 

Woman were not reticent in cow-hiding errant husbands or over zealous teachers in the days of yore. Are they referring to a buggy whip?

CLICK

Cow hiding in a New Orleans boarding house attracting an audience. This reporter goes a little bit overboard. Fortunately the judge did not.

Miss Ellen Murphey, a beautiful young lady, with large melting eyes, of heaven's own hue, and a black silk dress, whose neat fit could not be surpassed, then preferred a complaint against another lady for threatening her life..Several intellectual young men were desperately smitten with Ellen's appearance, - one so much that he could no more report her case than he could translate Hebrew poetry.

CLICK

American Way

Dinky Strap Retiring Principal

August 4 2012, 1:31 AM 

It is strange to me that Canada uses a strap as do the jurisdictions of the USA but then it the instrument of corrections changes from the leather to wood. Edmonton's strap sure did not sound "dinky" by prescription in 1936.

CLICK

Lorne Rogers 1956 Dinky Strap.

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

Stick of Love

August 19 2012, 12:57 AM 

Korean Love Stick

As a bonus, below is what Koreans call, The Stick of Love.  This one is particularly intricate, with a beautiful inscription saying, remember the first time, as in, remember the first time I told you to pipe up, I guess.  You can tell this stick of love is really high-quality because the panels dont match up exactlyits made that way on purpose so that when a teacher strikes it against a table or desk, the two panels smack together and make an ear-piercing thwack sound which gets everyones attention.

CLICK

CLICK

hcj

August 19 2012, 3:28 PM 

American Way's interesting post contained the following:

"...its made that way on purpose so that when a teacher strikes it against a table or desk, the two panels smack together and make an ear-piercing thwack sound which gets everyones attention."

The implement, a bamboo clap, should never be struck on a table or desk or it will break. A clap is often used by the chairman of a meeting to call people to order. The hollow bamboo forms a resonant chamber, which amplifies the sound as the two halves come together. Slapped in the palm of the hand, it is loud enough to be heard above the noise of a large group of people talking.

Claps were originally used to wake up novice monks who had dozed off during meditation. It is still used in Zen teaching. A couple of sharp raps are given on the shoulders with the rod. As it strikes, it emits a loud noise close to the ear which would wake the deepest sleeper. In Japan, the rod is called kyosaku - The stick of awakening.

It is important to note that in this context, it is not done as a punishment; it is a consensual aid to concentration.

These implements are quite often used as massage sticks by adults wishing to ease tense muscles but inevitably they are also used for corporal punishment, when the paddle-like smack is emphasised by a loud report.

American Way

Head scratchers

October 26 2012, 8:36 PM 

In North America a slipper as an instrument of correction is rarely used, not so in the Philippines apparently. Why is the hairbrush so obviously ubiquitous in the states? It is unheard of as used in school corporal punishment here. Not earth shattering questions but head scratchers nonetheless.

This should not altogether be unsurprising when you consider Imelda Marcos. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

CLICK

CLICK

Video:

CLICK

The lovely Christine Gambito aka as Happy Slip. Her mother would insist on her wearing a half slip as a happy slip presumably to protect her modesty. She plays all the familiar family role in her videos and has become quite popular.

CLICK

American Way

Custom Made Leather Straps

February 24 2013, 1:06 AM 

We read of custom made paddles from wood shop classes but harness makers have been know to make fearsome straps as in the case of Fred Isaacs harness maker and his custom punishment strap for Principal Teetzel from first and second link. The court had to consider where the offense occurred for it was outside the school.

Teetzel didn't like what they did to his windows. "Keying" teachers car doors in the parking lot would be somewhat akin to this but still on school property. The worse a student did was let air out of a lay teacher's tires in my day. If nuns had cars I would sweetened their gas tanks. Kinda guy I am. happy.gif

October 13, 1894

CLICK

October 17, 1894

CLICK

Custom made strap of more recent vintage.

"When I decided to go into teaching at the tender age of 18, an uncle of mine, who was a harness maker, presented me with a unique going- away gift. He made a durable hand-tooled strap with a double hand- stitched handle with the business end slashed to produce nine tentacles. My uncle called it the cat-o-nine tails with his personal touch."

CLICK

HH

February 24 2013, 1:16 AM 

...LOL, and in a 1986 article they say "at a time when it is no longer legal for prison guards to beat inmates (that ended 70 years ago)" ... it would be great if reporters occassionally reported facts as well. Federal prison CP bans were 1972, 14 years ago not 70! wink.gif

American Way

Paddle or Ruler? Forrest City AK

March 27 2013, 12:51 AM 

The Forrest City School District doesn't know if it will use a paddle or a Ruler on unruly students. The video could be showing a ruler that was never intended to be used but like the rod and the ferule were meant for different targets. A_LMaybe if the paddle doesn't modify your behaviour (sic) the Catholic school yardstick may in a virtual sense of course. Another 100 postings have past in the TWP thread but who is counting? happy.gif

CLICK

There is no regulation or guideline in this regard from the state.

Page 7 in the document.

CLICK

American Way

April 10 2013, 4:20 AM 

A lot of thought through years have gone into the questions of what is the most effective instrument of correction and it goes way back in time. Making the teachers be the first in line might not be that bad of an idea. Maybe the teachers wouldn't brag how hard they hit as some who smugly congratulate themselves in hitting hard enough so that a child would never return for a second dose or those who brag how hard the hit in anger to remedy a wrong. How sick!!! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

THE IDEAL SPANKER 1904

CLICK

American Way

April 11 2013, 2:09 AM 

In this 1936 article entitled Hairbrush Tune there is a variety of instruments of correction listed under the generic term "spank". Switches, rulers, open palms, slabs, shingles, two by fours, dog whips and buggy whips. Let's hope they were no all used.

CLICK

The last listing of a rubber hose being used that I could find was in 1972 in New Mexico. Being a relatively remote area it could very well been the last time a student was hit with a rubber hose. You couldn't say to your teacher up your nose with a rubber hose. happy.gif

CLICK

HH

April 12 2013, 4:54 PM 

Hi American Way,

I have just returned and slowly making my way through all the posts (there were lots of them!) while away. Too bad you found this New Mexico Article sad.gif .. it's been waiting in my out box to post on a different topic. Ah well, you're just too efficient! happy.gif New Mexico was the most recent American State to ban SCP in 2011, leaving 18 states left that allow it.

American Way

Hickory Stick

May 29 2013, 3:47 PM 

The Unlikely Making of a Mennonite Minister by Herman Myers. Humorous account of Miss Wingfield, raised in the rural hills of West Virginia warned her pupils. "By gad, I'll get a hickory stick and beat some sense into your heads!" and, I'll slap you till your jaws ring!"

CLICK

CLICK

1891. A salutary encounter with a hickory stick.

A woman teachers's punishment upon a big boy was the story in this news article. Wear a hickory gad out upon him was the advice of his adoptive father. It was for his own good apparently. Perchance encounter revealed that he was none other than Francis Tiernan a wealthy railroad magnate. I like these stories in not so well known newspapers that provide real name to little known incidences.

CLICK

Francis Tiernan. RIP 1903.

American Way

May 29 2013, 3:49 PM 

Sorry about that. Tiernan obituary.

CLICK

American Way

June 30 2013, 12:15 AM 

Instrument of correction. California. March 1893. A_L. You didn't waste much time presuming upon my good humor June 1 2013 on Duff Links. wink.gif

CLICK

American Way

September 1 2013, 3:53 AM 

Hand or ruler?

1906. I officiated at four spankings last year. One of 'em got it good and principal clark rubbed his palms reminiscently. If candidates are not too grown-up I flop them across my knee and use the flat of my hand. The method is efficacious when the boys are plump. When there is a slack in their trousers I have to take down the ruler casting his eyes upward.

CLICK

Here is an image of the off-topic, but couldn't resist, fat girl imperiling a baptism found beneath the relevant portion in the above link.

CLICK

American Way

September 10 2013, 5:41 PM 

Catholic school in American in the mid fifties to the late sixties consisted of two instruments: Stick (I saw more than one in the principal's office but felt it only once) and the yardstick in high school that I almost got for my compass prick. Being in second grade I can't vouch that they were of different thickness but they were of different lengths. Interestingly enough like Renee's Momma's Strap there were no fixed numbers. The second grade/principal either retired or transferred before the sixth grade. She didn't believe in corporal punishment and made no secret of it. Lacking an auditorium the higher grades were lined along the staircase and on the floor near it and she made a dramatic point. While the teachers slapped students and threw erasers there would be no more stick until the yardstick in high school with a principal who used corporal punishment.

The dramatic point the new principal made should be the subject of a play or shown in a movie. She took the stick at the top of the staircase and broke it over her knee and said we weren't animals and we shouldn't behave that way for we had reason and free will. I overheard one of the girls saying they didn't like the new principal. She had a dog and thought that was a cruel thing to do to an animal.

The students two biggest students defied her and walked out of school before the bell rang at the end of the day in fifth grade. She hit as hard as the others though she was the smallest and oldest of all the nuns we had. She made a point of her strength with a trick. She took an apple once and broke it in two with her bare hands. After the office over the loudspeaker incident she was the only one that didn't hit me until my lay teacher in the sixth grade.

Control of a classroom has more to do with captivating a child's interests and taking an interests in every student than deterrence. My only lay teacher in sixth grade hit no one. She taught me "scramble eggs" once while the kids were at recess. They call that inter-disciplinary now. She had a world relief map where I could run my fingers over the Ural mountains and then she explained that Napoleon had not brought enough provisions for he had know idea how vast Russia was. She then related that to Jesus who talked about the ones who made themselves look foolish by not having enough resource to finish building a tower or the king who saw from afar that his troops were not as plentiful as his opponent. You had to make peace. She said the world was to big to conquer and we all had to learn how to live in peace because the world was big enough to provide for everybody.

The Catholic school experience becomes less horrific when you can cherish good memories and not dwell on the unhappy ones. She shared of her experiences and showed films of her travels visiting natural and manmade wonders of the world. She retired from the public schools and was Miss and not a Mrs. She improved my penmanship so I could get a Palmer method certificate. If you can instill in a child something not in the curriculum but something that excites you then you're a great teacher. How many twelve-year-olds know about scansion. Row Row Row Boat (trochaic) Merrily Merrily (iambic) and Banana (dactylic). We had fun writing doggerel poetry. I developed and sponsored an essay scholarship for those about to graduate from high school based on merit and not financial need. I'm close to her age now and it's a way of honoring her.

One may argue that she succeeded with me but would be better served with CP in her tool box but not convincingly. Sorry guys, I don't intend to refute it but not because I can't. IMHO too often detention and suspension are made into the bogeyman making it sound onerous or time wasted but it seems more a reason to justify CP.

I have some experience but I'm not claiming that much for I never taught more than three classes and not since the early nineties. I have raised my voice on occasion but never resorted to sarcasm. Maybe I am becoming too avuncular but I would not even tempted to use CP if it were allowed. I am going to take on some younger kids in what amounts to a mentoring situation with about seven middle school age kids for a forty-five minute class starting in two weeks. I won't be involved in onsite work-study on the high school level.

American Way

October 4 2013, 1:29 AM 

1904. Brooklyn Corporal Punishment League and instruments of punishment. Third column land last article. Fascinating?

CLICK

American Way

October 5 2013, 8:26 PM 

1903. Whatever is handiest as I have remarked before? Father's strap or mother's brush?

CLICK

American Way

October 8 2013, 1:47 AM 

KK would you you care to print this out for the convenience of those who prefer not to access it by a passive link. It would seem that the Brooklyn Corporal Punishment League was a non-existent entity created for the benefit of the story. I have been unable to find any other reference.

CLICK

KK

As requested by AW

October 8 2013, 5:35 AM 

[linked image]

American Way

Repertoire of Instruments

November 7 2013, 1:35 AM 

Malcolm, the poor grandson of the renowned Rev. Ingram N. W. Irvine, D.D. had his share of troubles. The cane, dog whip and hairbrush. 1917.

This 12-year-old boy's poor memory cost him and the teacher's own pocket money. The teacher was angered he broke her inch thick cane for she would have to replace it out of her own pocket money with no more pocket money for a year.

After that the Principal Mabel Frances Elder beat him with a dog whip and lastly she put him over the side of a bathtub, putting her knee in the small of his back, and spanking him with a hairbrush.

I hope he could recite the Lord is my Shepherd. While the monks chanted the 150 psalms the common people recited three rosaries consisting of 150 bead with three sets of mysteries outside the walls of the cloister.

CLICK

The grandfather, Ingram Nathaniel Washington Irvine ("Father Nathaniel") made the news on his own on more than one occasion.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

He was quite a man.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Ingram_Nathaniel_Irvine

1921 RIP.

CLICK

The brutish Mabel Frances Elder is an example by common consent that women for centuries have been permitted to conceal their true age and has become a universal privilege of the sex, when availed of, never leaves, even in the judgment of the most pharisaical, a sense of moral turpitude.

1908. Miss Elder was quite a piece of work sad.gif

CLICK

Another_Lurker

Re: Repertoire of Instruments

November 7 2013, 3:19 AM 

Hello American Way,

I fear that the terminal '3' has gone walk-about from the URL in the first link in your above contribution. The New York Times article concerned, from 26 January 1917, is to be found here.

I am sad that you refer to poor Miss Mabel Frances Elder as 'brutish'. She was after all a mountain climber, so she couldn't have been all bad. I mean, what else is there to do with a boy who won't learn his psalms except beat him half to death? happy.gif The court must have largely agreed because young Malcolm Irvine Rooney only got $1,500 of the $25,000 he was claiming.

Whether Miss Mabel (apparently originally Mary) Frances Elder was born in 1886 or 1888, she must have done fairly well to have become a school Principal by 1914, aged 28 (or 26).

American Way

December 16 2013, 2:30 AM 

I'm a little tired so I took liberties in editing a story I posted before. This portion of the story focuses on instruments of correction.

Judge Meade 1928 Four Rules for Chastising Your Child.

Procure a paddle about sixteen inches long and rather
thin. "Adopt a proper frame of mind, a desire to correct the child rather than to satisfy your own anger.

"Strike" only four or five blows on the proper part of the child's anatomy. The children hailed this learned opinion with shouts of joy. Under such humane conditions they would not mind being spanked every time they came home. Their interpretation raised so many questions that it seemed evident that parents would need to call in a lawyer and witnesses at spanking ceremonies in order to be on the safe side.

"What is a paddle?" was asked. The dictionary says: "An oar; specifically a sort of short oar having a blade or two (one at each end)."

That would have been all right, but the judicial rules stated that it must be about 16 inches long. Nobody makes a short oar as short as that. And what did "rather thin" mean?

The parents thought that a paddle-shaped spanking implement, only sixteen inches long would have to be from three-quarters of an inch to an inch thick to be at all effective. The youths and maidens of Kansas City held that this would be rather thick. They cautioned their parents that they would not be a party to breaking the law by allowing themselves to be spanked with anything thicker than a shingle. There would be legal proceedings if they were assaulted with a heavier paddle.

"Mother, how will I be sure that you are in what the judge calls a proper frame of mind for spanking me?" asked a flapper. I think you should call in a jury of my peers, twelve of my disinterested boy and girl friends, to determine your mental attitude. And should it be a prayerful frame of mooned or an affectionate one? Will you begin the ritual by getting down on your knees or by kissing me? I think the least you could do would be to shake hands with me, like the prizefighters, before the first blow."

What is the "proper part of the child's anatomy" on which the four or five blows must be planted unless the parent wishes to be penalized for foul blows?

"That is the one thing that makes sense," said an exasperated parent. "Through the ages there has been one classical area to which spankings have been applied."

"That idea is all out of date," replied his high-school son. 'They may have turned you up and spanked you, but in schools today they hit you on the palm of the hand, and not many teachers dare to do even that. Read Freud and you'll see that such a humiliating posture might cause an inferiority complex. Four or five times on the palm with a shingle is all the judge allows. You wouldn't want to disgrace us by going to jail."

Anyhow, this bars out the hairbrush and the maternal slipper which parents of past generations used for educational purposes without suspecting that they were cruek and wicked. Of course, the willow switch, the stove poker, the dog whip and even so light and flimsy a thing as a coat hanger are forbidden by the judicial decision and opinion which overrules the biblical injunction:

"He who spareth his rod hateth his son."

One Kansas City father announced that his own hand would do for a paddle and that if five applications did not bring results he would try five more and keep on until he made an impression. His son served notice on him that while his hand might look like a paddle it was a proper one because it was not "rather." If he used any other more than five times he would call a policeman.

Children in these athletic days are often bigger and stronger than their parents. In that case would the judge permit calling in assistance, such as the cook or chauffeur, or, if there were not servants, was it the policeman's duty to act as assistant spanker? The children magnanimously waived this question also. As long as the spankings were done according to the judge's prescription they would not resist or object Why should they?

CLICK

Background of the best covered spanking in USA twentieth century.

CLICK

The spanking.

[linked image]

The mother didn't take kindly to the teacher her daughter complained about her spanking.

CLICK

Fisty Woman Beat Friend Blacking Eyes.

CLICK

CLICK

Miss Inez MacKinnon born 1895 died 1965.

CLICK

The club sponsor is Miss Inez MacKinnon.

CLICK

American Way

Re: Knout

March 6 2014, 8:58 PM 

Instrument of Correction. Birch applied in a unique fashion.

CLICK

It came from 2005 Russian TV series called Favorit. Synopsis

Annals of court favoritism of the reign of Catherine II is replete with numerous facts and fantasies. However, in an endless succession of her favorites, and meet extraordinary figure, passionate patriots. They boldly intruded into politics, controlling not only their lover, but the Russian government.One of them was Prince Potemkin.     

Hit the second box in link below on the bottom (2 cepnr) video and fast forward to 33:33 minutes and you will find the one I didn't bookmark or favorite (pun not intended). I love her expression when she finds out what a surprise awaits her.

CLICK

Alternatively it's part 2 and into three minutes and thirty three seconds.

CLICKl

The birched young lady is Natalya Tkachenko.

CLICK

The Englishwoman in Russia: Impressions of the Society and Manners of the Russians at Home (1855). Chapter 7.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Englishwoman_in_Russia.html?id=hhIEAAAAYAAJ

CLICK

CLICK

A portion of the video with Images are available by simple Googling. Mainstream Russian TV Mini Series: Favorit (2005)

Judging by the marks it was a "mild like Malaysian flogging" fit for a naughty school girls. Those liars I will never forgive those savages however grateful I am she was spared. Read under seventh.

CLICK

American Way

March 7 2014, 12:10 AM 

The third link lacked the last letter l so it becomes a duff link that A_L really doesn't find annoying as he claims. Why> He enjoys nitpicking. The corrected link is.

http://kinomusorka.ru/en/directors-director-alexei-karelin-films-film-favorite-2005.html

American Way

Correction at Penal Institutions

March 20 2014, 3:56 PM 

1894. The State of Corrections: Proceedings, ACA Annual Conferences

By American Correctional Association

Whittier State School 340 boys and 70 girls.

Modes of Discipline. - We have no fixed punishments for any stated infraction. We have no marking, no prizes, and very rarely resort to corporal punishment, although we believe in capital punishment. happy.gif

CLICK

Page 351. First one under Juvenile Reformatories. There is no written number so look for 352 and go back a page.

CLICK

Different Instruments of correction.

Switch. Girls. Page 353.

Common spanking with slipper. Boys. Page 359.

Hickory Rod. Ten Strokes at a single punishment. Page 360.

Spanking with leather paddle. Coed institution. Cost per capita "39 1/2 cents" per day. Page 360.

These words on page 85 of Rev. George H. Hickox gives us an indication of thinking of his times.

It is said "the statue lies hid in the clock of marble; and the sculptor only finds it." So a man is hidden in this criminal, and it is the work of the prison to chip away the hard, the indurate, and bringing forth the man, despoiled of that made him vile and an outlaw.

Another_Lurker

Re: Correction at Penal Institutions

March 20 2014, 9:51 PM 

Hello American Way,

An interesting find. In the Juvenile Institutions the large variation in the punishment regimes and the annual cost of maintaining each inmate is quite fascinating. One wonders though, given the date of 1894, if some of those institutions claiming to use only "moral 'suasion" on their young charges to enforce discipline are lying through their official teeth!

Unfortunately I think (I don't have time to do a detailed check) that residents in the UK, and possibly others resident outside the USA, will need to present themselves as being in the US via a proxy server to see the book. That done, much the easiest method then is to download the PDF of the book.

The items you quote, and others in the same area, are of course only brief, and a very small part of the volume. However, if anyone would nevertheless like to see the source document and doesn't know how to I am happy to provide instructions, but I don't think it appropriate to do so here. If you have an email address for me, email me and I'll send you details. No silliness please, I subject emails to fairly careful scrutiny. If not, then post here (NOT your email address though!) and I'll organise something.

American Way

Hang Them. Don't Flog Them

March 20 2014, 10:30 PM 

As A_W has mentioned I copy and past snippets for those who cannot access the document as in this case on capital punishment.

CLICK

HH

March 20 2014, 10:47 PM 

The proper Hangman's noose should have 13 coils of rope above the noose. There is a purpose to it - on the drop, once the rope springs tight under the body weight, that part of the rope forces the head forward with sufficient force to snap the vertibrae, casuing (hopefully) instant death.

I don't know where I learned this, but I am still able to produce a proper functioning one. ... some remnant of a misguided youth me thinks? wink.gif ..and NO, to answer your question (because I know you were going to ask it wink.gif , I never hanged anyone! It is, however, a good skill to have if civilization collapses and in-situ marshall law and summary conviction must be imposed!

American Way

Re: Instruments of correction Rednecks vs Northerners

April 1 2014, 11:47 PM 

TWP posts recorded the use of the strap at home. While we here in the North hear spanking we don't necessarily think of the strap as an instrument of correction. Texas is of another story.

http://www.redneckheaven.com/

CLICK

Shades of Femen? happy.gif

YOUTUBE

The girls sometimes take their licks. The boys much more often but I'll take my pick. wink.gif

CLICK

CLICK

YOUTUBE

CLICK

YOUTUBE

Bubba's paddle is not destined for rednecks's bottoms but for girls from the Land of Lincoln. Shannon IL.

CLICK

YOUTUBE

Current Topic - Instruments of correction  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement