<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Private School Corporal Punishment

April 25 2010 at 2:35 AM
American Way 

The wildcard is private school corporal punishment. Corpun has an anthology of their corporal punishment handbooks that differ significantly from public schools. Ive copied and pasted Eucons policy for reactions from members of this estimable Forum. We havent proven beyond a reasonable doubt that college students are exempt from corporal punishment, c.f.. Corpun.

Alaska, California, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Utah and Washington allow corporal punishment in private schools even though they are banned in public schools. The link that provides that information is decidedly is strongly opposed to school corporal punishment.

http://www.secular.org/node/241

Corporal punishment will be administered under the following
guidelines.
A. If a student is sent to the office for a spanking, the parent will be
immediately notified, and one of two conditions must be met.
1. The parents will give the administrator permission to
spank the child (see B through H below).
a. In this case a permission slip will be sent
home for the parent to sign. When it is
brought back, the spanking will then be
administered.
b. The student will not be allowed back in
school until permission is received.
2. The parent will have to come to the administrators
office and administer the spanking himself.
3. If the parent refuses to give permission for the
student to be spanked or refuses to administer the
spanking himself, the student will be removed from
the school.
B. The offense will be clearly discussed with the student.
C. The administrator will discuss scriptural applications and will
pray with the student.
D. A reasonable number of firm strokes will be administered with a
simple flat paddle by the administrator or staff member of
the same sex.
E. A second staff member will be present to witness the spanking.
F. The student will not be physically restrained. If he refuses to
submit to a spanking, the parent will be asked to come to the
office to discuss the matter. The parent will be asked to
administer the spanking or remove the child from school.
G. Following the spanking, the administrator will pray with the
student and talk with the student assuring him of his and the
teachers love.
H. A written record will be made of the date, offense, number of
strokes, and names of correcting staff member

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Toby-John

An alternative layout that some members may find easier to read.

April 25 2010, 9:12 AM 

Easier to read ?

Corporal punishment will be administered under the following guidelines.

A. If a student is sent to the office for a spanking, the parent will be immediately notified, and one of two conditions must be met.

1. The parents will give the administrator permission to spank the child (see B through H below).

. . . (a) In this case a permission slip will be sent home for the parent to sign. When it is brought back, the spanking will then be administered.

. . . (b) The student will not be allowed back in school until permission is received.

2. The parent will have to come to the administrators office and administer the spanking himself.

3. If the parent refuses to give permission for the student to be spanked or refuses to administer the spanking himself, the student will be removed from the school.

C. The administrator will discuss scriptural applications and will pray with the student.

D. A reasonable number of firm strokes will be administered with a simple flat paddle by the administrator or staff member of the same sex.

F. The student will not be physically restrained. If he refuses to submit to a spanking, the parent will be asked to come to the office to discuss the matter. The parent will be asked to administer the spanking or remove the child from school.

G. Following the spanking, the administrator will pray with the student and talk with the student assuring him of his and the teachers love.

H. A written record will be made of the date, offense, number of strokes, and names of correcting staff member

Toby-John EPS
(Editing Presentation Service)

Another_Lurker

Re: Private School Corporal Punishment

April 25 2010, 9:57 PM 

Can anyone play this new game invented by Toby-John? I'll assume they can, so try this for MkIII:

Corporal punishment will be administered under the following guidelines:

A. If a student is sent to the office for a spanking, the parent will be immediately notified, and one of two conditions must be met.

1. The parents will give the administrator permission to spank the child (see B through H below).

(a) In this case a permission slip will be sent home for the parent to sign. When it is brought back, the spanking will then be administered.

(b) The student will not be allowed back in school until permission is received.

2. The parent will have to come to the administrators office and administer the spanking himself.

3. If the parent refuses to give permission for the student to be spanked or refuses to administer the spanking himself, the student will be removed from the school.

C. The administrator will discuss scriptural applications and will pray with the student.

D. A reasonable number of firm strokes will be administered with a simple flat paddle by the administrator or staff member of the same sex.

F. The student will not be physically restrained. If he refuses to submit to a spanking, the parent will be asked to come to the office to discuss the matter. The parent will be asked to administer the spanking or remove the child from school.

G. Following the spanking, the administrator will pray with the student and talk with the student assuring him of his and the teachers love.

H. A written record will be made of the date, offense, number of strokes, and names of correcting staff member.

hcj

April 25 2010, 10:24 PM 

Enough, enough! I could read it perfectly well the first time.

Another_Lurker

Editing Presentation Service

April 26 2010, 12:05 AM 

Hi hcj. You said:

Enough, enough! I could read it perfectly well the first time.

As I'm sure you realised, that was exactly the point I was trying to make!

Toby-John, if we start 'improving' posts we will not only take up far to much of Network54's on-line storage but also get into an endless cycle of one-upmanship. You 'improve' American Way's post, I 'improve' your post, somebody 'improves' my post, I have another go, with a few more bells and whistles etc., etc.

American Way

April 26 2010, 8:17 PM 

Public school regulations. Some apply to private schools

http://law.jrank.org/pages/11816/Corporal-Punishment-in-Public-Schools.html

Toby-John

Actually, I thought I was being helpful !

April 26 2010, 10:50 PM 

EPS -
Another_Lurker
I had not intended a game, or a one-up-person-ship competition. The original presented was difficult to read (IMHO), particularly because the are 3 levels of Statements, and no indentation, or separation.

(That blank square thingy space top left does not help either. I have noticed some threads do not have it. Why not ?)

Because I could not get N54 to accept indentations, I used lot of separation, a few dots, and intensity of character (for want of a better description). I expect there is instruction on "indentations" in the computer corner, which I will get to someday soon.

I was aware that my EPS was not needed my everyone, whilst unaware, or particularly interested as to who would and who would not benefit. I am quite public spirited sometimes!

Incidently, thank you American Way, for introducing paragraphs to your entries a couple of months ago. When I first arrived at this Estimable Forum (incidentally -people don't say that much any more), much of your output was in large chunks, this I found difficult to read.

Toby-John

Another_Lurker

Re: Actually, I thought I was being helpful !

April 27 2010, 1:35 AM 

Hi Toby-John. What you refer to as 'that blank square thingy space top left' is where the advert goes. As I go to some trouble to avoid seeing adverts I am not sure whether Network54 are still running them and my software is suppressing them, or whether Network54 just aren't running them at the moment.

Glancing at the Javascript (more Jenny's field than mine) I think that if I wasn't suppressing adverts I might possibly be seeing a Google advert from the Education channel with an R rating, but I don't have the patience to check this out thoroughly. If you are not seeing them either there may be no suitable advert available at present, or you may have adverts suppressed as well.

You say:

Because I could not get N54 to accept indentations, I used lot of separation, a few dots, and intensity of character (for want of a better description). I expect there is instruction on "indentations" in the computer corner, which I will get to someday soon.

There is indeed such an 'instruction' in Computing Corner and here it is.

However, a better way of doing it, which previously didn't work (or at least I couldn't make it work) now appears to operate normally and will doubtless get documented in Computing Corner in due course.

Toby-John

"Outer" Space

April 27 2010, 1:23 PM 

Hi A_L

I will try it, and need a bit of prose, and since this thread is about Private School CP, this should suit:

....but it was just the end of the half, and on the next evening but one Thomas knocks at their door, and says the Doctor wants to see them. They look at one another in silent dismay. What can it be now? Which of their countless wrong-doings can he have heard of officially? However its no use delaying, so they go to the study.

There they find the doctor, not angry, but graver. He has sent for them to speak to very seriously before they go home. They have each been flogged several times in the half-year for direct and wilful breaches of the rules. This cannot go on. They are doing no good to themselves or others, and now they are getting up in the school and have influence. They seem to think the rules are made capriciously, and for the pleasure of the masters; but this is not so. They are made for the good of the whole school, and must and shall be obeyed. Those who thoughtlessly or wilfully break them will not be allowed to stay at the School. He should be sorry if they were to leave, as the school might do them both much good, and wishes them to think seriously in the holidays over what he has said. Goodnight

And so the two hurry off horribly scared; the idea of having to leave never crossed their minds, and is quite unbearable.

wonderful A_L

the world is a better place for your generosity of technical knowledge.

Toby-John

Another_Lurker

Re: "Outer" Space

April 27 2010, 11:00 PM 

Hi Toby-John. You said above:

wonderful A_L

the world is a better place for your generosity of technical knowledge.

Thank you. We Lurkers do our best for humanity in our own small way, though regretfully we sometimes quite inadvertently trample on the odd raw nerve or fragile ego in the course of our endeavours! happy.gif Just for you I shall hopefully post some vital and life enhancing information in Computing Corner tonight.

American Way

May 9 2010, 2:00 AM 

http://www.catholic-girls.co.uk.com/

Although the girls, in the bottom link, are misbehaving, it appears under a very Catholic site by the link sbove. On the surface the vamping girls seem like theyre at a reunion where the girls are hamming it up. They look over 18 to me. Are they Scots, you think? Do they wear anything resembling that or is that just kinky wear? I like the one on the far right with the devil's horns.

Billy Joel was a year older than American Way but I remember well the stir it made in the Catholic community when it hit the charts. When I traveled I realized that on the high school level my education was somewhat unique. Coed classes ended in the eighth grade and then the girls went off to Catholic high schools run by Nuns and boys Christian Brothers. In small parish schools this was not the case for financial reasons. Try to picture this happening in the UK? 175 boys grades 9 to 12 and not one male teacher. The Nuns would watch you pee if you chose to use the urinals.

I remember a Jewish girl making a move on me in my senior year and I shyly hesitated, she laughed and teased saying if not now when? Here I am in my fathers car at night watching the submarine races (overlooking water). A year in college, ironically all male but plenty of girls in neighboring colleges, Catholic girls then had make up exams.

One can rightly ask what does this have to do with school corporal punishment, but I dont think many people today here can understand what the seventies was like never mind in the UK. The toughest Nuns in the order were sent to our school for they were not just dealing with girls. Parents wouldnt allow their girls to get the stick in front of the boys but after school would be a different matter but it was a possibility Im sure, or at least the girls were led to believe.

Jenny, would you consider corporal punishment your choice under these conditions, in front of, say 20 boys and 20 girls? Is it more embarrassing for a girl, in general, to be on the receiving end of a yard stick? How does 5ive from here and Brides of Christ in Australia compare with the cane? Nothing beats a slide ruler on the college level.

Billy Joel: Only the Good Die Young

UK Catholic Girls I UK Catholic Girls II UK Catholic Girls III UK Catholic Girls IV

Jenny

May 9 2010, 2:22 AM 

American Way

Jenny, would you consider corporal punishment your choice under these conditions, in front of, say 20 boys and 20 girls? Is it more embarrassing for a girl, in general, to be on the receiving end of a yard stick? How does 5ive from here and Brides of Christ in Australia compare with the cane? Nothing beats a slide ruler on the college level.

Is it more embarrassing for a girl than what? I can't comment on a yard stick but I got the slipper plenty of times in front of a mixed class. I suppose it might have been embarrassing if I were the only one ever to get it, but I wasn't. I didn't find it any more embarrassing than, for example, when the wind caught my skirt or dress and gave everyone a flash of my knickers.

Another_Lurker

Those Catholic? Girls

May 9 2010, 3:47 AM 

Hi American Way. There's only thee and me prowling round cyberspace tonight, so I hope you won't mind if I make one or two comments about your links in the post above. It'll be a nice change, won't it? happy.gifhappy.gif

You've given a link at the top of your post and said:

it [the photograph(s) of the 'schoolgirls'] appears under a very Catholic site by the link above.

The site you've linked may or may not be 'very Catholic'. However, it is not the site publicised on the photographs, which is a .c­o.u­k site, not a .c­om site like the one you've linked. The site publicised on the photographs is an 'adult' site and appears to me to have absolutely no Catholic connection whatsoever, except insofar as it trades on the IMHO quite undeserved reputation of Catholic girls in certain areas of life's rich tapestry.

The photographs were uploaded to Webshots.c­om by someone calling themselves 'glasgowswingers'. I have no idea what the usage is in the USA, but here in the UK 'swinger'Note 1 and 'swingers' has a specific sub-cultural implication. One could certainly expect that 'swingers' might well be the sort of people who would use the site publicised on the photographs.

In view of the above I think we can reasonably assume that despite the Webshots 'category' the girls in the photographs are certainly not schoolgirls and are indeed likely to be over 18. I doubt if all of them are Catholic, though of course some may be, in which case I suspect they won't be short of material for the Confessional! happy.gif As to whether they are Scots, well again some of them may be, but I doubt if the 'Glasgow' establishes any sort of Scottish connection, other than possibly for the uploader. As to what they're wearing, I think you got it in one with 'kinky wear'.

Note 1: Not a thousand miles from the Lurker residence there is a Pub called 'The Swinger'. Not quite what it might be thought to suggest though. It stands adjacent to the point where many years ago the Nottingham trolley buses terminated their route at the city boundary and 'swung' around a turning point in the road, known as a 'swinger', to head back into the city. The pub sign shows trolley bus staff using a long pole to manually hook up the electrical pick-up arms on the bus roof to resume the journey, as these had to be disconnected from the overhead power supply cables due to the very tight turn, which the buses then negotiated on battery power.

Another_Lurker

Oh dear, sorry Jenny!

May 9 2010, 4:11 AM 

Hi Jenny. Sorry! When I said to American way:

There's only thee and me prowling round cyberspace tonight

I really should have known you'd be around as well!

Somehow I need to work out what's happening with your posts. In this case, as I normally do, I refreshed the thread page immediately before posting (at 03:47) to check that it hadn't updated while I was preparing my post and your post wasn't there. Again as I normally do, I checked my post immediately after posting, only to find that your post had now appeared, having actually been made an hour and twenty-five minutes earlier. This doesn't seem to happen regularly with anyone else. I quite often make minor amendments to my posts after my pre-post check because somebody has posted a few minutes before.

You haven't developed some sort of 'stealth mode' or 'cloaking device' for your posts have you? happy.gif I am going to have to solve it somehow. Interestingly it has only started to happen since I switched to the Chrome browser. I'm reluctant to give Chrome up, because not only does it have a spell checker which works in the Network54 message text box, it also preserves any text already entered in the message text box if mid-post you have a power cut or system malfunction necessitating a reload.

Jenny

Re: Oh dear, sorry Jenny!

May 9 2010, 4:48 AM 

Hi Another_Lurker

I really should have known you'd be around as well!

I hope you don't think I'm a "lady of the night". wink.gif

Somehow I need to work out what's happening with your posts.

When I click on the respond button, my post appears immediately - unless I'm not signed in of course.

You may notice a delay in seeing my posts because we often post at similar times of the night. If I had posted a few hours before you came online, you wouldn't know if there had been a delay.

You haven't developed some sort of 'stealth mode' or 'cloaking device' for your posts have you? happy.gif

I'm not that clever. wink.gif

I am going to have to solve it somehow. Interestingly it has only started to happen since I switched to the Chrome browser. I'm reluctant to give Chrome up, because not only does it have a spell checker which works in the Network54 message text box, it also preserves any text already entered in the message text box if mid-post you have a power cut or system malfunction necessitating a reload.

It could be a "feature" of the Chrome browser. I'm using Firefox (Vn 3.5.2 - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2). I don't know how it would work on Windows but on my Linux machine it flags spelling errors in the Network54 message text box and saves any entered text if there's a crash. I have a UPS so I don't usually suffer from power cuts. happy.gif

Alan Turing

Tread carefully?

May 9 2010, 8:22 AM 

American Way's link "UK Catholic Girls I" appears to lead to an infected web page. My copy of AVG popped up a warning when the page was opened.

Alan Turing

Trolley buses

May 9 2010, 8:28 AM 

My recollection of London trolley buses in Cricklewood is that there was a return loop which would allow reversal without removal of the collectors from the overhead wires. The only time the insulated pole was needed was when there was a breakdown and a queue was building up behind. Our trolley buses (routes 660, 664 and 666) were replaced by Routemasters in 1963.

American Way

May 9 2010, 12:54 PM 

I was unaware I was linking to a very not catholic, unless you mean by that universal, site until I saw this uncontaminated and not adult content photo stream akin to the I to IV

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43111632@N05/

StevefromSE5

May 9 2010, 2:05 PM 

Maidstone's trolleys(d.1966)had a run-/turn-around loop at the Barming terminus(Bull Inn, previously Fountain Inn) & at either end of the branches just after MGS-Parkwood Estate(Nottingham Ave.) or Loose(Wheatsheaf Inn).

Croydon's(d.1959) had them at Croydon, Sutton, Mitcham and Crystal Palace & there were plenty on the south London Routes(694,696,698-finished 1962)at Abbey wood,Bexleyheath,Dartford & Woolwich plus, at North Woolwich, over the Thames one for East London's 569,669 & 685 routes, which ended in 1961.

Brighton's system(d.1961)tended to have turning wiring down obscure side streets with the odd loop. There were also a few turning side-street wires in South London's system.

Unfortunately, Camberwell never had them at all.sad.gif

Steve

May 9 2010, 2:52 PM 

Hi Steve

This is nothing to do with the thread subject or trolley buses.
I saw a recent post from you and you mentioned bacons school, and the as good as bare bottom caning of girls there. This was not the Wilfred Ing thread. There were some other posts I wanted to read in the thread but I cannot find it. Can you help ? I think you posted it in the last couple of weeks.

Thanks

Jenny

May 9 2010, 3:12 PM 

Hi Willyeckaslike,

Hope you and StevefromSE5 don't mind my jumping in here but could it be the Southern Education thread that you're looking for?

Southern Education

StevefromSE5

May 9 2010, 7:07 PM 

Thanks, Jenny-that's the one.

My Wilfred Ing-The Truth thread with more detail is now on page 5, about halfway down.

I'm useless at making a link, so if anyone else wants to, please feel free.

Steve

Another_Lurker

Links etc.

May 9 2010, 10:44 PM 

Hi Steve. I'm not clear which thread Willyeckaslike is after, most probably the one linked by Jenny, but just in case, as you say:

My Wilfred Ing-The Truth thread with more detail is now on page 5, about halfway down.

I'm useless at making a link, so if anyone else wants to, please feel free.

here's a link to your Wilfred Ing-the truth thread and my post on September 27 2009 at 9:57 PM in that thread gives links to the three other recent threads involving Bacons School.

I'm glad you liked the trolley bus stuff. Much more interesting than all this boring stuff about School CP! happy.gif In my cycling days I had a very narrow shave with a trolley bus. I fell off my racing bike in front of one on an icy road going downhill. There was no way the trolley bus could have stopped, and I couldn't get one of my feet out of the shoe clip and toe strap. Luckily it was the pedal furthest from the path of the bus, which went straight over both wheels and the other pedal, completely flattening the pedal and bending the alloy crank. The bike, to which I was still attached, thrashed about a bit but once I extracted myself I was completely ok, as was the trolley bus (although the driver was a bit shaken). Can't say the same for the bike though! sad.gif

Another_Lurker

Re: Tread carefully? etc.

May 10 2010, 12:28 AM 

Hi Alan Turing. I'm not surprised at the infection problem. Sites like Webshots are an ideal target for people seeking to disseminate nasties. A high level of unsophisticated users and a probably not very attentive maintenance staff. I only opened one of American Way's photographs, which happened to be the second link and then used the 'Album' link to see the rest, so I didn't notice any problems, but often the code for these things is only attached to sites for a short period before it's spotted and removed. I've had two or three instances on Network54 in the past. This method of planting stuff by infecting sites is the main method of disseminating nasties now, email infections are passé.

I'm glad you liked the trolley bus stuff as well as Steve. happy.gif You've made me wonder if I have it right that the pick up arms were always dismounted for the about turn. I only ever used that route as a child, but I thought I remembered the unhook/re-hook process. However, maybe it was just that the pick up arms sometimes became detached due to the tight turn.

Here is a picture of a trolley bus at the very same turning point, facing back down the route into Nottingham, and there appears to be a complete loop of overhead wires to make the turn. However, the pick ups do look well extended! Nottingam's trolley buses died in 1966.

And as I know you've an interest in railways, the signals in the background are on the Midland Railway Nottingham (London Road) to Worksop route, now the Robin Hood line. At this point the line runs along the Leen valley, and nowadays the one and only Nottingham tram route runs alongside this bit of the railway on its route north. I ought to be able to identify the higher level railway line crossing the bridge behind the signals, but sadly I can't. sad.gif

Another_Lurker

If that's not an adult link I must be seeing a different page to American Way!

May 10 2010, 1:12 AM 

Hi American Way. You said of your link above to Flickr:

I was unaware I was linking to a very not catholic, unless you mean by that universal, site until I saw this uncontaminated and not adult content photo stream akin to the I to IV

Uncontaminated and not adult? Ho, ho, ho! May I respectfully suggest that you Google (as individual words) swinging dogging and milf so that you'll know what you're posting in future. And as for sams-place, advertised on that page in addition to the catholic-girls site I've dealt with above, well just try it - make sure you're over 18 though.

Declan

May 10 2010, 2:23 AM 

Some very interesting stuff about trolley buses , and those from Nottingham in particular, which I just remember. I seem to remember a No. 40 which went down Wells road. The poles kept on getting detached from the line which caused delays and may have been one reason why they were scrapped. I will also have to pay a visit to the Swingers pub on my next visit to Bulwell ( sometime in the next 6 years)

I forget what this thread is about, so I'll join you later to talk about the proper subject matter.

Another_Lurker

May 10 2010, 11:41 AM 

Hi Declan. You said above:

Some very interesting stuff about trolley buses , and those from Nottingham in particular ............ I forget what this thread is about, so I'll join you later to talk about the proper subject matter.

Oh dear, I consider my knuckles well and truly rapped! happy.gif I should never have mentioned public transport, let alone trolley buses, as I was well aware of the interest therein of my two distinguished fellow contributors. I apologise to American Way for the resulting hijack. But before (hopefully) the thread returns to its intended purpose I'd just like to say:

1  I don't recommend a visit to The Swinger in the next six years or indeed any time thereafter. It is an extremely rough looking place adjacent to a rather run down estate, the main exit from which is monitored by one of the biggest CCTV cameras I've ever seen!

2  There are several more pictures of Nottingham Trolley Buses here and here. The first link mentions a number 40, but doesn't say exactly where it went. At one time a trolley bus route ran all the way from Nottingham to Ripley, which is a fair distance and quite hilly.

3  For Steve there are a few pictures of Maidstone trolley buses on this index page. I can't find any trolley bus pictures in Cricklewood for Alan Turing, but there must be something somewhere on this site which claims to have details on all 6314 trolley buses which ran in the UK.

Now, about those private schools and their use of corporal punishment. I can't speak for US schools, but the worst UK school CP I ever heard about in person directly from the recipient was said to have taken place in a small private boarding preparatory school in suburban Nottingham not far from Sherwood. I've mentioned it before here, but repetition won't hurt.

When I started at NHS the form master, a splendid chap and excellent teacher, administered CP by means of a large sized leather soled sandal. Most boys were distinctly distressed after a few whacks with this implement. However, there was one exception, a lad with whom I was quite friendly, as we were both from well north of the city in a class predominantly from the city and south Notts. He was a pretty tough lad, hailing from one of the Ashfields, but even that didn't explain his imperviousness to the dreaded sandal.

His explanation hinged on the prep boarding school, where he'd been for a period while his parents were abroad. He said that when you were used to six of the best with the cane on the bare the sandal hardly registered. His period at the prep school was 1952 to 1954, a long time ago, when that sort of punishment, while already exceptional, certainly went on in some private schools. Severnboy, who used to post here, described an experience of that type of punishment, involving himself and a female pupil at a mixed prep school in the mid 1950s here.

Myself and Mr Turing quizzed Severnboy at some length on this incident, and there's a series of exchanges amplifying the detail in this thread from January 10 2009 at 3:21 PM, Severnboy's initial post, through to January 13 2009 at 10:53 PM when Steve M closes the sequence.

American Way

May 10 2010, 12:09 PM 

May 10th. You are on a different page? Just Google dublin_tights' photostream How should I have known it was not referring to a state of Irish inebriation. wink.gif

StevefromSE5

May 10 2010, 1:37 PM 

Hi A_L

Thanks for the Maidstone Pics-I have a book on all the systems I reeled off, but none of those photos are in the Maidstone edition.

For the interested, 2 4 & 64A were all in Upper Stone Street, on the way to MGS from the Maidstone & District Bus Station at which I arrived from Aylesford on school days. It was around a 15-minute walk, which I might take Sarah to show her one day-it was a pretty low-life part of town, too.

By the time I discovered smoking via the back streets route to school, the trolleys had gone. I only started having one on the way to & from in the 5th year, starting Sept 67 & they finished the previous April.

The Robin Hood line was a successful re-opening of one railway line closed by the most famous old boy of MGS, Lord, then Dr., Beeching, just to add to the coincidence.

Steve

Declan

May 10 2010, 3:46 PM 

Thanks to A_L for his research on trolley buses. I'm not sure whether the No. 40 was a trolley bus , but it seems likely. The Wells Road is just a short distance from the city centre and would have continued to the Meadows.

The bus started from the top of Wells Road, and to get back on topic we played a rugby game against a school from the top of Wells Road, which is still there. ( the school that is, as well as the road).

One of our players got very badly injured during the game, and the ref ( our rugby master ) shouted at him and told him to stop wimpering and get up and carry on , saying that it was just a stratch. The boy could not continue and the father of one of our players came on to the field and took him off, and in fact to hospital. It turned out he had a broken leg.

I suspect if this sort of thing happened today the teacher would be sued.

I am not intending to visit The Swingers pub in the foreseeable future.

Another_Lurker

May 10 2010, 10:34 PM 

Hi American Way. I don't wish to keep going round and round in circles, which seems to be one of your favourite occupations - to each his own! I am NOT on the wrong page, I am on the page you linked on May 9 2010 at 12:54 PM in this thread.

If you execute that link you will find that each of the photographs on it is endorsed ww­w.catholic-girls.co.u­k which is a porn site and ww­w.sams-place.co.u­k which is also a porn site, which is why neither of these references here are set up as proper links. You will also find that the caption of each of the photographs consists of a series of words, some of which I suggested that you looked up in my post above on May 10 2010 at 1:12 AM, just in case you really didn't know what they implied.

You say:

Just Google dublin_tights' photostream How should I have known it was not referring to a state of Irish inebriation. wink.gif

It might surprise you to be told that most people look at what links lead to before they post them here, and if the link is to an adult site, made in the legitimate process of discussion, they say so, and why they are posting it. However, if in fact you are indeed just plucking links out of Google at random and posting them here without visiting them I fully understand that this convention might pose some difficulties for you. This probably also explains why some of your links don't work. If you don't visit them you clearly won't know if they work.

Another_Lurker

May 10 2010, 10:53 PM 

Hi Steve. I'm glad to hear that the pictures were of some interest to you. I'm not actually a trolley bus anorak, but I did get quite engrossed.

You say:

The Robin Hood line was a successful re-opening of one railway line closed by the most famous old boy of MGS, Lord, then Dr., Beeching, just to add to the coincidence.

Ah well, we all attended schools whose former pupils include people we'd rather not boast about. Ed Balls went to mine. What Lord Beeching did for the railways, Ed's done for education! happy.gif

American Way

May 10 2010, 11:12 PM 

"I don't wish to keep going round and round in circles". Only you can make your wish come true.

Another_Lurker

May 10 2010, 11:19 PM 

Hi Declan. I think you're right about number 40. The 'last Nottingham trolley bus' link did mention number 40 going through the Meadows. You say:

One of our players got very badly injured during the game, and the ref ( our rugby master ) shouted at him and told him to stop wimpering and get up and carry on , saying that it was just a scratch. The boy could not continue and the father of one of our players came on to the field and took him off, and in fact to hospital. It turned out he had a broken leg.

I suspect if this sort of thing happened today the teacher would be sued.

That's the problem with schools today, far too soft! happy.gif Seriously, life is very different now and pupils (and their parents) know their 'rights'. The incident you describe is typical of the sort of attitude that prevailed in those days in most good schools and IMHO it didn't do anybody any harm. Well ok, maybe there was the odd casualty, and some of the weakest went to the wall, but you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. You just had to make sure you weren't an egg, good practise for real life! happy.gif

Another_Lurker

An imposter in our midst?

May 10 2010, 11:31 PM 

I am not convinced that the last few American Way posts in this thread are from the genuine American Way. These short pithy and prompt responses are not at all what I have come to expect from my distinguished fellow contributor! happy.gif

American Way

May 10 2010, 11:55 PM 

It's me. I can be curt at times.

American Way

This is how my mind works so take it or leave it.

May 11 2010, 2:22 AM 

I posts and I posts and I posts, as we all are aware of here, and then someone says something to contradict; that's fair game and certainly boring if played in any other way. I'll say for example I find the forum jar letters credible and then someone says don't be so sure because of this or that and obviously they have a strong aversion to be made a fool of for buying into it. If school corporal punishment interests in south Asia is not your concern or if you believe the sharing of personal accounts should be the sole focus of this estimable Forum so be it. I've learned a lot about Catholic schools in another continent; I knew that vocations to the sisterhood are low worldwide with the exception of some area of the third world; the fact that convent schools were applying corporal punishment in girl schools surprised me. Fellow readers of this estimable Forum are well aware of my Catholic school experience with Nuns so my interests should not prove surprising.

To paraphrase Ogden Nash, Gandhi may be dandy but violence is quicker. Someone is now going to take great delight in letting me know that Gandhi and Kerala have nothing to do with each other; it's as if to say, you don't know what you're talking about so shut up listen and you might learn something. What does shut up mean? I'm not sure but it may mean you post to often and things that are irrelevant. If you feel that strongly say it. What I find annoying, big mistake in letting people know you can annoy me, is that there is the proverbial glove slap challenge to me to duel and that I will deal with at the end of this post.

I honestly believed that UK Catholic schools site involved role play reunions. I saw Glasgow and I looked into how many Catholic schools were there. I knew Scotland hadn't been administering corporal punishment for a few decades or more so I was curious why that fantasy was still being fueled. I think there is something universal and gender specific in the dominant and submissive roles but they day may come like maid outfits are less and less used as fantasy gear. When I found the word Dublin I thought of Mother McCauley and Baggott St and how hundreds of thousands students prayed daily the Pope would make her a saint at the end of every rosary and the recent troubles with abuse. This is how my mind works so take it or leave it.

Some may find this hard to believe but I am cautious about keeping this a family forum. The pictures in the photostream with the more pages revealed a portion of a woman's breast that was inappropriate so I referenced the one with 6 pages to avoid that. Even with the scantily clad courageous to submit Femen girls I took great care not to post any portion of a woman's anatomy that would visit trouble here. I havent seen larry 1951, so I must be doing something right.

I get the impression, and Ive referenced this before, some are trigger happy and take a gotcha approach to my postings, for whatever reason, but know this I will not play victim, child, prostitute or saboteur. Thrust and parry it will not be me so take the proverbial glove, dont slap me in my face, and use it for your own medical purposes. Cruder than that I cannot be for I am the American Way.

American Way

Declan

May 11 2010, 6:42 AM 

By an odd coincidence my niece has just posted a few pictures from Bratislava where she is teaching. These include a few of trolley buses, and she says she has a free pass and can travel all day on them if she wanted to.

My MP, Vernon Coaker, was a teacher at my school, Arnold High ( it was called that in my day)and he is the Schools Minister ( at the moment, I suspect his ministerial car will be removed shortly)but he doesn't have the same negative vibes that Ed Balls has , both from his policies and his expenses claims. The great disappointment of the election was that Ed Balls kept his seat.

I remember that the boy who broke his leg playing rugby turned up at school the following day and was regarded as some sort of hero and got all the girls to sign his plaster.

Alan Turing

Trolejbus

May 11 2010, 7:58 AM 

I'm impressed by the efficiency of trolleybuses (and trams) in continental European cities. They arrive on time, they are frequent, they don't pollute the cities, and they're fairly quiet. I've never ridden on a trolleybus in Bratislava, though I do recall seeing them when arriving at the railway station a couple of years ago.

Declan

May 11 2010, 11:52 AM 

Mr Turing

My niece has just sent me another message. She wants me to visit her in Bratislava, and points out that there are very cheap flights from Birmingham, and even more important is the fact that you can smoke in pubs there.

I have been to Prague , but not Bratislava, and I know there were trams in Prague , but not sure about trolleybuses. I think I'll take her up on her offer.

Almost on the subject of this forum , I saw the most tarty looking schoolgirl this morning. She had the shortest, tightest skirt on , with fishnet tights and a tight top on with the school logo on!

Alan Turing

Bratislava

May 11 2010, 3:19 PM 

Declan:

One tends not to realise, before looking at a map, just how close Bratislava is to Vienna. I've flown from Birmingham to Bratislava (which has quite a small airport), but you might get more of a choice if you considered flying to Vienna instead. Transit to the centre of Bratislava from Vienna airport takes about an hour; from Bratislava airport it's less than half of that.

If you go, and have the time, take a boat trip up the Danube to Devin castle (hrad Devín).

One of my visits to Bratislava was in the summer a few years ago; for some reason there was a beach volleyball competition in an open space at the edge of the old town. Delightful to watch, even if you didn't particularly care what happened to the ball!

Photobucket Photobucket
Bratislava hrad Devín

Declan

May 11 2010, 4:13 PM 

Mr Turing

Thanks for the information about Bratislava. I'm sure I will go. Yes, Vienna is a short walk away , in fact my niece has done this , though she said the walk is rather tedious.

I will try to go on the Danube trip , really great castles and scenery

As I write it seems that Cameron will be the new PM

American Way

January 12 2011, 3:37 PM 

I wonder how many schools dedicate a whole page to corporal punishment as Craigmore Christian College in South Australia? Is this unusual?

CLICK

Another_Lurker

January 12 2011, 4:43 PM 

Hi American way. You say above:

I wonder how many schools dedicate a whole page to corporal punishment as Craigmore Christian College in South Australia? Is this unusual?

Yes I suspect it is quite unusual. In any event the page you've linked isn't a Craigmore Christian School page (it's called 'School' not 'College'). It is a page belonging to the Faculty of Education, Humanities, Law and Theology at Flinders University, who were researching school CP. Their full site on the subject, of which you have linked one page, is here. The page you have linked is intended to be seen in a frame provided by the above page.

Here is the Craigmore Christian School website. I haven't had time to look fully, but I don't think it exactly spells out their CP policies in quite such detail.

Alan Turing

You couldn't make it up!

January 12 2011, 5:02 PM 

The home page of the Flinders University CP website contains a reference to a 1984 article Freedom from corporal punishment: One of the human rights of children. New York Law School Human Rights Annual, Volume II, Part 1). by an author apparently called "C. P. Cohen" happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Ketta

Re: Craigmore Christian School

January 12 2011, 6:15 PM 

Extract: Behaviour Managment Policy:

Methods Page 4/5

A number of methods of discipline are avaiable at Craigmore Christian School

Demerit
Detention
On Report
Corporal Discipline
Suspension
Expultion

There is a CP opt out within the enrolment application

American Way

Re: Craigmore

January 12 2011, 7:58 PM 

It's called both College and school. It is R-13.

I am amused with small white paddle and not the Terminator used at a mostly Black Memphis Charter School. I like the students who are thankful and satisfied. Are some thankful that the maximum is two swats or some only satisfied if they get more? wink.gif

Another_Lurker

Re: You couldn't make it up!

January 12 2011, 9:09 PM 

The third year students in the Faculty of Education, Humanities, Law and Theology at Flinders University who compiled the Corporal Punishment website appear to know less about HTML than they do about CP. On the 'Students' page there is actually only one video not two. In the extremely likely event that it won't play for you just click here, download it onto your own system and play it with your video player. You'll need to be very good at filtering background noise to tell what the young lady is saying though!

Sadly it is not possible to do a similar trick with the pictures on the 'Against' page. They simply are not present at all.

Hi Alan Turing. Well spotted. Mr C P Cohen appears to have written extensively on the subject of the initials of his forenames. See Google here.

Hi Ketta. Thank you for checking out the Craigmore Christian School site. I didn't have time. I was posting with one hand and unlocking the car in a hurry with the other! happy.gifwink.gifhappy.gif

American Way

Catholic New Orleans St Augustine Bend Over Son

March 6 2011, 6:25 PM 

Background, Hollis Price had a mediocre 11 year basketball career that ended in February from Wikipedia.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2011/03/st_augustine_high_school_corpo.html

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/misc/1452661.html

12 years older in this picture, Patricia Parker, may still pack a mean paddle. sad.gif Don't cross Nana Barnes as Gillian Jacobs my latest inductee of courage found out. Some of these mature black women bring the whooping tradition with them. My inductee in the Courage to Submit thread, Julian grad, Gillian Jacobs as Britta Perry, said she went through every suggested stunt that the part required to establish her character including the switching according to her in a recent article. It was her choice hence her inclusion into the pantheon. happy.gif Had nothing to do with looks. wink.gif

CLICK

Hollis Price grew up sleeping on his grandparents' couch while his mother struggled with drug problems and shuffled in and out of jail. Price's grandmother, Ann Dennis, worked two jobs -- at a day care center and cooking food at a bar. Price's grandfather, George Carraby, stayed on him about school and sports. Their work ethic and life lessons stuck.
"It was tough growing up there," says Price, "but I had my grandparents. They always made sure I did the right thing."

Price arrived at St. Augustine weighing about 125 pounds, so skinny that White likes to joke that he didn't have any fat on his bones to dull the paddle's wrath. At St. Augustine, they don't believe in demerits or detention. Instead, students and their parents sign wavers to allow corporal punishment. The hits came often at first. Price still shudders when he recalls the name of Patricia Parker, his freshman English teacher, who handled the paddle more deftly than a fraternity pledge master.

"She was one of the hardest hitting women that I know," says Price. "And I got paddled for a whole lot of things."

Chewing gum in class? Bend over son.

Play a sloppy first half? Brace yourself.

Dog ate your homework? Oh boy, watch out.

The same paddles that pounded the posteriors of former St. Augustine stars Avery Johnson, Kerry Kittles and Donald Royal eventually straightened out Price. The academic adjustment overwhelmed Price at first, as poor grades forced him off the 9th grade team during his freshman season. But Price's longing for basketball, combined with his aching backside, would prove the St. Augustine mantra that external discipline helps develop internal discipline.

"After that," says Griffith, "grades were never an issue."

American Way

Two Licks with that Slave Vintage Paddle. Ouch

March 8 2011, 9:31 PM 

FYI: Background on St Augustine New Orleans. After the church abuse scandal court records were meticulously checked for anyone that had contact with minors. Most volunteers must, as a condition, sign that they will not employ CP as volunteer religious education teachers as well as parochial school teachers. I would venture to say that a high percentage of the black students are not Roman Catholic. White bishops were loathe to accept black seminarians or novices so an order primarily serving the African American community known as the Josephites welcomed candidates for priesthood, brotherhood and sisterhood. The confrontation is being avoided by the Archbishop, by his own words, but has not been able to successfully diffuse this public relations disaster. He is new to the Archdiocese and he may not garner a red cap as a Cardinal for the Vatican doesn't need this at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0Qu7ufl5A

American Way

March 8 2011, 10:46 PM 

he lack of understanding between blacks and whites is what blows people away in this country. Under the private school thread there is a controversy on paddling and tradition in New Orleans. A white hierarchy versus a lone black priest. Troy's grandmother would be classified as a "monster" or cruel woman by the standards of a caucasian but not so a negro. The just walk away was an option for her but that and a snake scene was something she went along with to establish or personae for Britta. These names from a NBC situation comedy, Community, may not have much interests to some but her education is remarkable for someone who is only 28. Between soft-core porn to a television celebrity makes he an unlikely role model. Kudos to her.

http://community-sitcom.wikia.com/wiki/Gillian_Jacobs

CLICK

American Way

March 9 2011, 9:07 PM 

Ethos and discipline of St Augustine indicates IMHO a fixation on the paddle. Football playing should not be the way out of the inner city but it seems like sadly it is here. They should have alumni other than players to brag about. Lastly, Carl Weathers (last link) is probably the only graduate that the UK folks of this estimable Forum recognize. Do you? Second and third link show a school and a church in conflict.

http://www.enotes.com/topic/St._Augustine_High_School_(New_Orleans)

http://www.clarionherald.org/pdfs/2011/03_05_11/page12.pdf

CLICK

CLICK

American Way

March 9 2011, 11:52 PM 

Try this for the first link. Scroll down to New Orleans. That should work. I hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_High_School_(New_Orleans)

American Way

March 10 2011, 12:17 PM 

Some reflections about St. Augustine High School in New Orleans. Like the two schools in Australia they have the expulsion offer and their parents can withdraw them at any time if their folks think the paddle is being misused. Their Archbishop is wrong by buying into the agenda of the anti-CP zealots. This from a Catholic school survivor. sad.gif I must take the school to task. I am sure they have lesser known successes that they should put upon their list of illustrious alumni and I think it is a mistake on their part. Some professional people must have graduated from that school of lesser fame should have been highlighted; that IMO was a glaring omission. If you go back to the Community video Troy says to his grandmother. Don't have her cut a switch she is not family. Those who are not family are changing a tradition of making their school a sort of a boot camp in a war zone by mandate. The student demonstrators are not clamoring so much to be spanked (makes for a good headline) but for the traditional discipline and ethos of their school and are telling the authorities to back off and leave them alone. But as I said before they do seem to obsess on corporal punishment, maybe after three months of abstaining they have found reasons to return to their tradition. There are clear parallels with the Memphis Charter School. I doubt if they have paddling assemblies but I'm virtually certain the don't have witnesses and don't always do it out of sight and sound.

American Way

500 St Augustine High School Students March

March 26 2011, 9:20 PM 

WWPS (What would Paula Say)? sad.gif It's the only Catholic school in America that paddles students.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2011/03/hundreds_march_on_archdiocese.html

TOTAL CATHOLIC SCHOOL ENROLLMENT: 2,308,150
Elementary: 1,602,010
Secondary: 594,860
Combined: 111,270
(Digest 2009, Chapter 2, Table 58)

American Way

Corporal Correction Porter Christian Academy

June 30 2011, 9:23 PM 

It's just a matter of vocabulary but Christian schools often use the word "correction" than punishment to be biblical I suppose? The concept of a parent being called in to do the honors may also be biblical as well. Here is a permission slip from Texas. As an aside as noted before there is a magic number "3 swats" that applies to almost all schools other than TWP.

Porter Christian Academy is designed to develop the spiritual and academic qualities that characterize a child of God according to biblical principles and teachings. In order to carry out spiritual and academic instruction, the school believes it is necessary to follow scriptural admonition to correct a child when his or her behavior is in violation of proper or reasonable rules and procedures. When warranted, corporal correction will be exercised under the following guidelines:
1. The offense will be discussed with the student. The students parent will be called before the corporal correction is given. 2. A reasonable number of firm strokes, not to exceed 3, will be administered by a staff member of the same sex on your child,
using a simple, flat paddle. 3. Your child will not be physically restrained. If he or she refuses to submit to paddling, you will be asked to come to the school to discuss the matter. If it is believed to be in the best interest of the school, the child will be withdrawn from the school. 4. A written record will be made of the date, offense, number of strokes, and name of correcting staff member. A copy of the
record will be sent to you. Considering the Corporal Correction guidelines listed above, parents have three options to choose from as listed below. Mark acheck next to the option of your choice.

Option #1:____I have read the above guidelines and agree to Porter Christian Academys Corporal Correction Agreement without reservation and personally pledge my support to this scriptural approach to discipline.

Option #2:____I have read the above and would prefer to administer any Corporal Correction myself. I understand this is required to be done at Porter Christian Academy within two (2) days of the offense.

Option #3:____I have read the above and do not agree with Corporal Correction. I understand that if my child is in violation of rules that Porter Christian Academy deems proper to be Corporal Correction, my child will be suspended for three (3) days or I may be asked to withdraw my child from the school at the discretion of the pastor and/or principal.

Parent/Guardian Signature__________Date_________

American Way

Catholic school ruler

October 23 2011, 4:33 AM 

This public speaking video on corporal punishment between 1:00 and 2:00 minutes seems based more on experience or hearsay than book knowledge. The consistency factor was an unexpected twist and the playing of the gender card (N.B. Jenny) was another. But more significantly why the ruler in the classroom? Why the taking the child outside for the paddle distinction? Her high school did not use corporal punishment judging by their student handbook. You don't hear about the ruler in public school student handbooks. In my day the ruler was used in full view of the class and the stick (pointer) in the principal's office. In her introductory speech she said she went to St Anne's in Beaumont Texas. The girls getting away with murder would make Jenny proud.

http://vimeo.com/13612439

KK

Re: Catholic school ruler

October 23 2011, 5:30 AM 

Boring !  Boring !   Boring !   Bored !

The video that is. I could not be bothered watching it to the end. Same old, same old in a flat earnest voice. They need to see a real, old fashioned school caning, circa 1960, and then ten years trauma conselling, no doubt.

American Way

BORED? 1:00 to 2:00 CAUGHT MY ATTENTION.

October 23 2011, 12:50 PM 

Be that as it may for your perspective but it would be typical of ALMOST any kid who was asked to right a report on school corporal punishment that would be a sophomore in college. She wants to teach so that does not augur well for future potential paddlers in Texas nor does it bode well for those who want to continue the tradition of paddling in schools in the Beaumont Texas area. I doubt if that Texan would compromise her way to her horizon seeing as you put it so perspicaciously how earnest she was, unlike another elderly pedagogue of this estimable Forum who made some compromises in following CP regimes as a young teacher on his future position as a DHM.

What made it it not so predictable or bored in you infelicity words was few publicly witnessed the use of the ruler in the late nineties that I experienced nearly at the same time you went to school. Also, it was in a state that had almost had 50,000 paddlings (not as many as MS or AL or AK proportionally per year). Also, considering CP was banned due to the "Dallas Charter" in 2001 in all Catholic schools owned by diocese, unlike New Orleans Archdiocese St. Augustine, referenced by Corpun prior to the recent controversy, I thought it was worth posting. You don't see many 19 years olds striking their hand with a ruler unless they are a product of a Catholic school except in the few Catholic schools considering the majority of Catholic schools are far from the bible belt. Also, the facial expression of a girl when the gender card angle bolstered her point caught my attention. Due to the unpredictable part referenced, I would post it again despite prior ad hominem spiteful comments direct at this side of the pond for whatever reasons. How is that for being direct considering its the American Way? happy.gif To end on a lighter note, there was nothing about her hand she struck, unlike the Malaysians, that caught my attention. wink.gif

American Way

Georgia Baptist School

December 1 2011, 11:58 PM 

Corporal punishment is not used by VBS but parents may be required to come to the school and administer corporal punishment if other measures have not produced the desired results and the administration feels the situation warrants it.

Is this arrangement common? The school authority has to stand by and judge whether the punishment is sufficient or abusive? The parents don't get much bang for the buck from the school staff. happy.gif

http://victorybaptistschool.org/student-handbook/discipline/

Principal, Craigmore Christian School

Incorrect and outdated information

October 18 2012, 8:19 AM 

I am the Principal of Craigmore Christian School. the information posted on this site regarding the School's behaviour management policy is incorrect and quite outdated. The following is a link to the school's behaviour management policyhttp://www.ccs.sa.edu.au/downloads.php#policies

American Way

Catholic School Meter Stick Samantha Fox

May 3 2013, 7:08 AM 

St Thomas More Roman Catholic School.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Thomas_More_RC_School_(London_Borough_of_Haringey)

I remember when I went into my Catholic school, which was also a convent school, I got caught chewing chewing gum on the first day. I got whacked on the back of the legs with a meter ruler...

CLICK

Samantha Fox at 16.

CLICK

Samantha with chewing gum.

CLICK

The Lovely Samantha Fox.

CLICK

American Way

May 3 2013, 7:21 AM 

See if this Samantha Fox with gum works.

CLICK

Another_Lurker

May 3 2013, 1:11 PM 

Hi American Way,

As I frequently observe, you are my greatly valued fellow contributor.

However, I really would like to understand why, without any warning or preamble whatsoever, you think it both appropriate and proper to subject me to the sudden shock of coming face to face with very naked young lady! This behaviour is in complete and inexplicable contrast to your stance if I, or any of the other serious minded, research orientated members of this estimable Forum, publish a picture with so much as a hint of an exposed buttock to illustrate some complex technical issue regarding the application of CP. In such cases, rare as they are, you immediately petition the Forum Management for the censorship or, more often, the removal of the normally quite inoffensive illustration!

OK, I'm joking! happy.gif But like most jokes there's a hint of reality in there too.

I don't believe that the establishment where Ms Fox received the gift of education (apologies to The Forum Management for plagiarism, but they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery happy.gif) is a 'private school', at least not in the way that terminology is used in the UK. However, it is interesting to know that she was subjected to CP there.

I doubt that she was hit with a 'meter' ruler, and indeed at the time she'd probably have got another couple of strokes for spelling it like that happy.gif but the ruler across the back of the legs for girls was in use when I was at Junior School and doubtless survived in the UK until abolition.

You will be aware that Ms Fox was widely referred to as 'Sam'. You will also have observed that in the 'article' you link concerning Ms Fox's formative years she says of the salutary experience of the punitive impact of ruler on thighs errm, well it almost certainly was, but we'd better say legs happy.gif

And it was like "Wow", it just sort of said that it was time to really study and really learn.

Given the conjunction of those two things I was greatly intrigued when on visiting the school website I observed a prominent link entitled "SAM Learning".

Scarcely able to contain my excitement I somehow managed to guide my mouse pointer onto it despite a sudden onset of extreme tremor in my right hand. What joys might lie behind it! Surely a video of Ms Fox's rulering no less! Unqestionably Ms Fox has extremely attractive thighs legs and doubtless as was customary her school skirt would have been raised as necessary to ensure that she enjoyed the full 'impact' sad.gif of the experience.

But how would the punishment be administered? Possibly in class, not at all unusual. Bending over a desk? Standing? Facing the class? Back to the class? I am of course a connoisseur of this curious category of corporeal correction following my own formative experience of the small boy variant1 thereof. In her article Ms Fox had not supplied any of the vital details so essential to we earnest seekers after the truth, but why should she when there was a video of the whole thing! In a frenzy of anticipation I waited for what seemed milliseconds for the link to connect ...

But what appeared on my screen? Nix! Nothing! No video! No young Ms Fox standing stoically facing her classmates but with just a tiny hint of a frown as the vengeful Nun behind her lifts the back of her skirt and whacks the meter rule ruler across the back of her thighs legs, or bent over a desk tearfully promising to 'really study and really learn' as said vengeful nun etc. etc. Nothing! Just a blank page! The whole thing is clearly a diabolical plot by the school authorities to deceive and disappoint dedicated CP researchers like myself. I was devastated. So devastated that I immediately sat down and composed this load of tosh heartfelt post to try to avoid anyone else being dumped into the depths of despair!

Seriously, there is indeed a SAM Learning link, and it does lead to a blank page. Probably SAM is an acronym for some wonderful new educational process that is going to save the educational world - until the next one come along that is. Prof.n will know, if he reads this post and gets this far! happy.gif

Interestingly I note that in the article you link, having described her punishment on that first day as:

I got whacked on the back of the legs with a meter ruler.

Ms Fox subsequently says of it:

The first day I was caned, and then I soon backed up my ideas, and got on with my studies and became a good girl.

A curious confusion between ruler and cane. Unless of course she means that on a subsequent occasion she was caned and the first lime she encountered that implement he positive attitude to education was enhanced still further. Sadly we may never know!

1Sorry folks, but I had to link it. It's traditional, and in an ancient (hint, hint) and venerable Forum like this one tradition is everything. happy.gif

prof.n

SAM

May 3 2013, 8:25 PM 

Hi Another Lurker,

Probably SAM is an acronym for some wonderful new educational process that is going to save the educational world - until the next one come along that is. Prof.n will know, if he reads this post and gets this far!

Your wish is my command! I think you will find what you need Here happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

May 3 2013, 8:33 PM 

PS should have said I've linked the english site, but this isn't just a UK product as you will gather if you watch the video carefully !

Another_Lurker

Re: SAM

May 3 2013, 8:59 PM 

Hello Prof.n,

Thank you. I was sure that I could rely on you to enlighten me. It may be that if a visitor to the school website logs in and is enrolled on a SAM course something appears on the page concerned.

The website of the providing organisation, which you kindly linked, is most interesting. However the one thing it seems to lack is a statement of what SAM actually stands for. Probably this is because the company wishes to get maximum mileage from its trading name and doesn't want to muddy the waters by expanding the acronym. Eventual resort to Google indicates that it stands for Self-Assessment Method.

American Way

Girls And Trolleys On My Mind.

October 1 2013, 11:52 PM 

The trolleys. Minnesota Viking Cheerleaders Invade London.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

Prior to London.

CLICK

All for the Glory and Honor of God. GO VIKES. Video.

CLICK

Purely as a hypothetical if a TWP cheerleader pulled this stunt in high school she could and perhaps should be paddled. wink.gif

CLICK

Another_Lurker

Re: Girls And Trolleys On My Mind.

October 2 2013, 12:55 AM 

Hello American Way,

I see lots of cheerleaders in the pictures you link above, and very nice they look too! But what is this about trolleys? I see no trolleys!

You said:

Purely as a hypothetical if a TWP cheerleader pulled this stunt in high school she could and perhaps should be paddled. wink.gif

And for our readers or anyone else who may find themselves faced with that unpleasant but necessary task happy.gif our very own Renee of TWP has provided the essential specialised instructions here. Scroll down to 'Technique must be adjusted when paddling a cheerleader'. Mind you, I suspect that she wasn't thinking of skirts quite as short as those worn by the young ladies representing the Minnesota Viking! happy.gif

American Way

October 2 2013, 1:57 AM 

A_L I know they're not trolleys but I wanted to find an almost relevant thread to post. happy.gif

American Way

October 2 2013, 4:13 AM 

On a serious note the social milieu and cultural inertia perpetuates an undesirable lack of diversity both in color and sexual orientation in the Bible Belt. People of color and and those with same gender attraction are less welcomed on certain campuses than others. Love they neighbor as thyself.

CLICK

CLICK

Merits reading.

CLICK

On a lighter note, I need to clarify something A_L. I was thinking of our very own Alabama Cheerleader Michelle being on the receiving end in whilst in high school. The first link are those girls who proudly represent the defending champions Crimson Tide.

CLICK

Puttin' the BAM in BAMA!! For the record that model has nothing do with the University of Alabama.

CLICK

Dress code violation. 5 swats.

CLICK

HH

October 2 2013, 4:40 AM 

American Way, is it possible that your last post accidentally got send before you finished typing?

Dress code violation. 5 swats. pants down  happy.gif

Another_Lurker

October 2 2013, 5:18 AM 

Hello American Way,

IMHO it is very naughty of you to link 23 pages of cheerleader pictures, and as for suggesting that TWP's Michelle might have been paddled in High School ......... Wash your mouth mouse out with soap!

Anyway, I think some of the pictures on page 1 are not of real cheerleaders, happy.gif and I asked about TWP members experience on the receiving end of school CP in my usual indirect and subtle manner happy.gif at the end of this post. Renee, opted out. Wendy, probably not opted out, but didn't do anything bad enough to be paddled. Jenny TWP and Michelle no reply, so presumably they have nothing to report on the subject. I'm sure that's the only possible explanation! Hey, this thread is getting as bad as another current thread which shall be nameless! happy.gif

Of the young lady with her elbows on the table you said:

Dress code violation. 5 swats.

Nonsense! A gold star and 3 house points! happy.gif

willyeckaslike

October 2 2013, 2:37 PM 

American Way

Trollys I take it is the name of the Minnesota Vikings cheerleaders team.
But to help you, because you may not be aware of it, trollys, besides being the name of the arm that collects electric current from the overhead wire for trams and trolly buses, can also mean something completely different here in England.

With the sometimes confusing difference between English English, and American English, what you refer to in the US as girls and ladies underwear as panties, panees, and underpants, here in the UK is commonly referred to as Knickers.
Sometimes known as drawers, but also jokingly as Trollys.

Plenty of trollys on show in the photos you linked to. happy.gif

Another_Lurker

Trolleys, Trollys and Trollies

October 2 2013, 9:03 PM 

My esteemed fellow contributor Willyeckaslike is understandably confusing 'trollies' (UK slang for knickers) with 'trolleys' (the word used by American Way and myself in the thread above). However they are not the same thing at all.

'Trollys' as used by Willyeckaslike is unknown to me. Possibly a US version of Trolleys?

American Way

October 2 2013, 10:37 PM 

My best take on trolley and bus is as follows. A bus is rarely called a trolley unless they're made in a retro-mode here. Trains are often called metro or subway when it switches from underground to above on the same line. When a train has an electric wire with poles like a funicular it is often called a trolley. Above ground trains strictly within an urban area are confusingly called trolleys. The girls were clearly near a bus. I have been following the entries about trollies in the estimable Forum so I was well aware of the difference.

hcj

Funiculi, funiculà

October 2 2013, 11:12 PM 

Well someone is sure to pick this up, so perhaps I'll get in first... happy.gif

American Way said "When a train has an electric wire with poles like a funicular it is often called a trolley."

I know what you're getting at, but a funicular is not quite like that. It comprises two cars on an inclined track connected by a cable through a driven pulley in the upper station. The weight of the cars is almost in balance so the descending car assists the ascent of its partner.

The Gelmerbahn funicular in Switzerland has the amazing gradient of 106%.

American Way

October 3 2013, 3:01 AM 

The violet line near the bottom where is Square Willette is the only funiculaire I've been on. I've been on a cog railway on Mount Washington NH in the White Mountains. Not quite the same but thrilling.

CLICK

Current Topic - Private School Corporal Punishment  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement