<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

British-style formal school caning in Singapore

June 20 2010 at 6:31 AM
KK 

According to http://www.corpun.com/rules2.htm

British-style formal caning (for male students only) is fully lawful in Singapore schools and strongly supported by the government. The great majority of the country's 150+ secondary schools use the cane, and at most of them it is a significant element in the disciplinary system.

Winston wrote, in the Serious Question thread.

Type of cane June 18 2010, 11:45 PM

Hi Andrew, can I know what is the length & thickness of the cane is used on you? In Singapore, the cane used is 1 meter, 10 mm thick, 1 stroke of it already very very painful! Here max allowed is also 6 strokes, but the schools mostly only gives out 2-3 strokes on the bottom bending over a table, with pants & underwear on.

Current Singapore practice and ferocity seems very close to what was common at my high school in New Zealand in the 1950s and 60s except canings were never administered in the present of girls.

Canings of four and six strokes were relatively common for what were, by todays standards, minor offences (fighting, smoking tobacco, impertinence, possession of beer, etc.) Cane marks lasted many days. There were no suspension or expulsion as far as I am aware during my 5 years.

Singapore canings seem to be rather more severe than is current practice in private schools in Victoria, Australia.

Winston, please describe the welting and marking of the cane. Do boys behave better after caning or do some keep getting caned?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
winston

Re: British-style formal school caning in Singapore

June 20 2010, 8:25 AM 

Oh,it will leave a red bruise across the bottom for every stroke given,girls here are not allowed to be caned[unfair],most offenders become better behave,only 1-2 of them repeated their offences....

KzK

Brit styles

June 20 2010, 10:55 AM 

Winstone what year are you at school??

Have you yourself had the cane? Would you example a caning in singapore schools..

What you were caned for, how many strokes you got and how were you positioned? Over a chair? Touch toes?

Much wait time say caned on the time of the offence or wait till...??

How did/do you cope after being caned??

winston

June 21 2010, 12:09 AM 

I am 17 this year,got 2 strokes just before the mid year holidays for getting 20 demerit points,the offences are minor ones add on together,caning position is the same as the one in Copun.

KzK

Brit Style

June 21 2010, 7:18 AM 

Hi
I take it that demerits are for say minor things say talking in class, or late to class??? So is it always pay up at 20 and is that always 2 strokes to clear the slate?

I note your reference to corpun for position the samples I have seen show guys more standing than say bent over! I expect though that you are left with marks afterwards?

winston

June 21 2010, 1:41 PM 

Yes,we are in standing position,bend slightly,so that the bottom,protrude out as a target,a cushion is tucked on the waist,to prevent injuries to the kidneys,on sure there are 2 thick,raised welts after it.

KzK

Brit Style

June 21 2010, 6:14 PM 

Is caning quite common in your school? You mention 20 demerits I expect earned over the term. So would I be correct to assume that if you had not got 20 they would have been wiped at the close of term and you would start at zero next term?

What are the most strokes that you have had and what for?

Another_Lurker

June 21 2010, 8:25 PM 

Hi Winston. How is your sister Veron, and do you still share an email address? You must be a most remarkable schoolboy! If you are 17 now you must have made your early contributions to this estimable Forum aged 9, and you seem to have been contributing on the Singaporean caning scene on and off ever since! Or is that a different Winston? happy.gif

winston

June 22 2010, 12:07 AM 

different person.

winston

June 22 2010, 12:10 AM 

yes,the record will be erase,once caning is given,so far only 2 strokes,& already very painful.

KzK

Brit Style

June 22 2010, 8:01 AM 

Winston

At you school you get caned for behaviour that is not acceptable. You mentio demerit points.

1 How many demerit points get you the cane?
2. If 20 dermerits is that 2 of the cane?
3. What happens if at the end of term you have 18 demerit points?

winston

June 22 2010, 12:20 PM 

20 pts=2 strokes in office,2 nd time 20 pts=3 strokes in class,3 rd time 20 pts,3-6 strokes on the stage[public caning],18 pts[whole year],no caning.

KzK

Brit styl

June 22 2010, 6:20 PM 

Winston
You reached the 20 demerits so got 2 strokes.

If at the end of this term you have another 6 demerits what happens?
1 Do they get cleared at the end of term, no caning!
2. OR Do they carry over into next term?
3. If you get 20 demerits next term, is that seen as your second time so 3 strokes in class for you??
4. How many demerits do you now have?

winston

June 23 2010, 12:12 AM 

The demerit pts is based on 1 year,not terms,so it will carry on till end of the year,i need to be careful,so far,now still holidays,i already got 8 pts,another 12 pts,the discipine master,will bring the cane to my class,for 3 of the best.

KzK

Brit Style

June 23 2010, 8:44 AM 

Winston

1 How long is the next term in time?
2. If you alreday have 8 demerits now at break time Do you expect to get the cane next term?

winston

June 23 2010, 12:10 PM 

6 more months to go,1 think another 3 strokes given in class is unavoidable.

KzK

Brit Style

June 23 2010, 6:12 PM 

Winston
You say you have 8 demerits.
1. What did you do to get these?
2. Do you tear up when getting the cane?
3. Are you expecting that you will be getting 3 more strokes in front of the class??

winston

June 24 2010, 12:24 AM 

late for school,talking in class & rude to teacher,no,did not cry,only jump up after 1 cut,12 seconds later,ordered to bend down again for the 2nd stroke.

KzK

Brit Style

June 24 2010, 9:45 AM 

Winston

What did you cheek your teacher about or for??
You say you jumped up! How will you cope with 3 and in front of your classmates?
How long do the marks on your B*** last?

winston

June 24 2010, 11:21 AM 

Nothing,just talk back only,cane marks lasts 2 days....

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement