<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Caned on hands

March 7 2011 at 7:58 PM
Andrew508 

The only time I got into serious trouble at school was when we had a temporary supply teacher and I started to show off and make fun of her because I was under the impression she couldnt punish us.

That was probably right but what she could do was report me to the head of year and she did. So after school I found myself standing very nervously outside Mr. Smiths classroom along with another boy from my year but from the A stream class.

He closed the door behind us and took a cane out of a drawer in a cupboard. It was straight handled and about two foot long and about as thick as a finger. Id known what to expect but I could feel myself breathing faster when I saw the cane in his hands.

He turned to the other boy first and asked him if he knew why he was there. He said yes, it was because hed left the school without permission during a break and hed been caught coming back. Mr. Smith gave him a lecture and then asked him which hand he wrote with. That was the right hand so he made him hold out his left hand and moved his hand till it was where he wanted it.

I was watching in alarmed fascination, knowing it was my turn next.

Mr. Smith tapped the cane on the boys palm and then lifted the cane and then smacked it down onto his palm. He gasped and pulled his hand away but very soon held it out again, shaking slightly. This time he tapped the cane a few more times before raising it and slashing it down. The boy gasped again and pulled his hand in front of his lips blowing on it.

Mr. Smith watched this for a few moments and then said that he hoped he would remember to keep the school rules in the future. He came back to stand next to me and I briefly looked him in the eye and then away again. He wasnt crying but from his expression it had really hurt and I was now terrified.
Mr. Smith called me to him and asked the same question if I knew why I was there. I said yes and had to go through everything Id said and done to the new teacher. I got an even longer lecture but by then I just wanted it over with.

Like the other boy I had to hold out my left hand first and Mr. Smith moved it until it was in the right place. When he tapped it with the cane I closed my eyes tight shut.

I didnt have to wait long and suddenly my hand felt like it had been cut open. I jerked my hand down and my knees almost gave way as I tried instinctively to get my hand as far away as possible. I came up waving my hand and Mr. Smith just told me to hold it out again. It took me a while and then he adjusted the position by flicking it with the cane and told me to keep it still. I closed my eyes again.

The second stroke was just as bad and my reaction was similar. I started blowing on my poor hand thinking it was over.

But Mr. Smith told me to hold out my other hand. Only then did the penny drop about why he hadnt asked me what hand I wrote with!

I was already crying by now but I knew I didnt have a choice especially in front of another boy from my year and I held out my right hand. This time my nerve gave way and I tried to pull my hand away at the last moment. But the cane lashed down onto my fingertips and it hurt like hell! I was dancing on the spot with pain but Mr. Smith just said that one wouldnt count and told me to hold my hand out again. Tears were pouring down by now but I reluctantly held my hand out again. I did not get any credit for the incredibly painful stroke across my fingertips and the 3rd stroke was just as hard. After a lot more tears and hopping around I extended my hand again for what was, thankfully, the last stroke.

Mr. Smith put the cane away and took out a register where he recorded our names, classes and ages and then told us to go and that he didnt want to find us sent to him again otherwise it would be worse next time.
We went to the toilets and ran cold taps over our hands and rinsed our faces. The other boy told me that hed had the cane before and had cried the first time too which made me feel a bit better.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tavi

Re: Caned on hands

March 8 2011, 5:38 PM 

Urggh. I just can't imagine having to hold my hand out and keep it in position waiting for a cane to come down on it, Andrew. I'd flinch away for sure.

Back in the 50s and 60s, in my Catholic girls schools in the U.S., we got rulered across our palms, three or four whacks being the norm and sometimes as many as five or six, and the nuns held our hands in place quite tightly by our fingers so flinching away wasn't an option, no thank you, ma'am.

There wasn't any need either to ask us just which was our writing hand, since we almost always got it across both hands. Besides, the nuns knew which hand was our "writing hand." It was ALWAYS the RIGHT hand, and God help you (because He'd be the only one who could happy.gif) if you were ever caught writing with your left.

Anyway, most of the time after our hands were rulered, we didn't have much writing to do anyway, since the punishment was usually augmented by making us sit on our hands for the rest of the morning until lunch (or afternoon until dismissal), and believe me, that really added to the misery. Plus, taking a zero in all the work you missed, and a failure in Catechism Recitation meant that for homework you had to write the next day's Catechism out in longhand, and a failure in Drill and Mental meant you got five or ten "word arithmetic" problems that you had to do for homework.

Nathan

Caning on the Hands

March 9 2011, 12:22 AM 

During my schooling I received the cane four times and each time I was caned on my hands by my Headmistress. If you were sent to see the Headmistress you could reasonably expect that she was going to give you the cane so you spent the walk to her office rubbing your hands together vigorously. Your teacher would have you take a note to the Headmistress explaining what you had done which you had to present to her when you arrived. The times that I was caned I had to wait outside her office with my hands on my head and facing the wall before I was summoned.

After presenting the note to the Headmistress she would read it, give you a lecture and then announce what punishment you were going to receive. My Headmistress kept her cane in a cabinet and she would remove the cane, flex the cane twice and order you to hold out your right hand. She would announce how many strokes you were going to receive and like Andrew's experience tap your palm lightly with the cane before raising it and swishing it down. Initially there was a light sting which grew in intensity upon which the second stroke would land on the palm of your hand. Your hand was on fire when the second stroke landed and I would put my hand in my armpit after each stroke, but she would promptly order me to hold out my hand, if you did not hold out your hand she would hold your wrist and administer the remaining strokes. The number of strokes you could received was usually 2, 4 or the dreaded 6 strokes which was called "six of the best". The cane was administered to both hands so if you were receiving four strokes you received two strokes on each hand and so on. However, on one occasion I received six strokes on one hand which left my hand well marked and swollen.

Once you had received your punishment the Headmistress would place her cane back in the cabinet and she would record your name, your offence and your punishment in the punishment book and you were dismissed back to class. There was always great interest from your classmates when you returned to class. Your classmates wanted to see if you had cried and they wanted to know how many strokes you had received. The times I returned to class after a visit to the Headmistress, my teachers would have me return to my desk and continue teaching with a minimum of fuss.

Girls were also subject to the cane and I can count on one hand the number of girls I knew who received the cane, including my sister. Boys were caned more frequently and I have put this down to the fact that we tended to misbehave more.

Jenny

March 9 2011, 1:03 AM 

Hi Tavi

Urggh. I just can't imagine having to hold my hand out and keep it in position waiting for a cane to come down on it, Andrew. I'd flinch away for sure.

The first time I got the cane was three strokes on my hand for truancy. It hurt like Hell but, strangely, it was remarkably easy to hold my hand out for it. In those day, when you were told to "hold you hand out" or "bend over", you just did it. We might have broken the rules (quite frequently in my case) but we tended not to openly defy a teacher.

Back in the 50s and 60s, in my Catholic girls schools in the U.S., we got rulered across our palms, three or four whacks being the norm and sometimes as many as five or six, and the nuns held our hands in place quite tightly by our fingers so flinching away wasn't an option, no thank you, ma'am.

Quite a few people have said how much a rulering could hurt but I never found that. I only got it a few times in secondary (senior) school but it seemed more of a token punishment rather than anything intended to be painful.

There wasn't any need either to ask us just which was our writing hand, since we almost always got it across both hands. Besides, the nuns knew which hand was our "writing hand." It was ALWAYS the RIGHT hand, and God help you (because He'd be the only one who could happy.gif ) if you were ever caught writing with your left.

Would even He have chanced crossing the nuns? wink.gif

I would have been in a lot of trouble at your school because I'm a life-long "lefty". It wasn't really a problem at my school although, when younger, some of the "dinner ladies" tried to make me hold a knife and fork "properly". They succeeded. sad.gif I now use a knife and fork right-handed.

Tavi

March 9 2011, 6:58 PM 

Hi Jenny!

when you were told to "hold you hand out" or "bend over", you just did it. We might have broken the rules (quite frequently in my case) but we tended not to openly defy a teacher.

Openly defy a teacher? Phwew! No way, ma'am. But squawkin' like a yellow-bellied hen wasn't "defiance," it was just.... well, it was just bein' a yellow-bellied hen. happy.gif Not that I'd dare "squawk" or anything like that, but not being able to hold my hand steady while I'm looking at that ruler raised up high over Sister's shoulder and on its way down to make contact with my poor li'l ol' palm? Now that's not a "squawk" at all, that's just bein' a yellow-bellied hen. That ruler was thick, it was heavy, and it HURT! Even the really "bad" girls, not the middling-to-bad girls like me but the really "bad" girls, had trouble I think with holding their hands out and not flinching away.

I've heard of some places where they made you put your hand on the desk, or grip the back of a chair, and that was another way to hold your hand steady, but I just can't imagine being able to hold my hand out in the air, with no support, and just wait for that ruler to come down on it. Guess I'm just a yellow-bellied hen, but I can't imagine doing that today, and I sure couldn't do it half-a-century ago. Besides, putting your hand on the desk or gripping a chair-back meant you were getting it across the back of your hand, which is something our nuns never did to us, I guess because the fleshy palm was safer. But oh, did it ever hurt!

And seriously, too, I think it was probably a good safety idea for the nun to hold a girl's hand steady by her fingers. Flinching away could really be dangerous, since the ruler could hit your fingers instead of the fleshy part of your palm. Even with the nun holding your fingers, there was some danger to your thumb, but I think they usually aimed pretty carefully so as to avoid hitting anything bony. They were trying to hurt us, hurt us quite enough to keep us under control for a few days at least, but they weren't trying to maim.

And Jenny, you write...

I only got it a few times in secondary (senior) school but it seemed more of a token punishment rather than anything intended to be painful.

...but I was writing about some of the many fracases I got into in elementary school, and I think a younger girl can't be expected to take things as stoically as a high schooler. Not that I didn't get into trouble in high school too, but more commonly the punishment in high school was detentions and in-school suspensions and sometimes after-school calisthenic drills. If you got a licking in high school, it was really serious, and it would almost certainly also mean a conduct conference with your parents. By high school I wasn't getting more than one or two lickings a year, and (believe it or not, and I still have trouble believing it today) none at all my senior year.

So, I'd say it was merciful that the nuns held our hands for rulerings. Anyway, by high school, when you got it, you were getting something a whole lot worse, at least in my school.

Hugz happy.gif,
Tavi

OZGeorge

March 9 2011, 9:25 PM 

I've discussed this subject on other threads too.
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find being caned on my hands all that bad.
Yes it hurt,but only for the first two cuts, for me at least.

After that,your fingertips seemed to be numbed up somehow,maybe some reaction to the shock or something.
On the other hand,(no pun intended),I have spoken to people who had the strap across their hands, and they say that hurt like hell.

Everybody who I have ever spoken to, who has had experience of both, has confirmed that the cane on the bottom was a great deal more painful than hand canings.
It most certainly was in my case.

I had the strap on my bottom,both over trousers and across my underpants, and that was no picnic either.
I never had the strap on my hands, so I cannot really compare the two.

I also think it is better to be caned on the hands, because you are not in a humiliatingly submissive position, and you can see waht is going on and prepare yourself.

You can't do that when you are bending over for the cane on your bottom,and you feel that much more vulnerable, because your whole mind is focused on your offered bottom, and the apprehension makes it seem much worse I think.

Nathan

Caned on the Hands

March 9 2011, 11:38 PM 

As a recipient of the cane on my hands and a leather strap to my bottom, I preferred having to bend over rather than hold out my hand because when I held my hand out I could see the cane swishing down and landing on my palm. When I received the strap I could not see the strap landing on my bottom but I felt the sting. Bending over would be like being blindfolded before being put in front of a firing squad or being hung, where you would rather not have a full view of what is about to happen to you.

Tavi

March 10 2011, 4:06 PM 

Nathan wrote:

Bending over would be like being blindfolded before being put in front of a firing squad

LOL, Nathan, I can't think of a better way to put it! happy.gif Just watching that ruler lifted up above the nun's shoulder, then coming down WHAM onto my palm, was terrifying to an eleven-twelve-thirteen year old girl. I guess you could close your eyes, but somehow that didn't work for me because, if I could see it, then I just couldn't help watching, but still being terrified all the while.

I think the only thing more frightening was having your face slapped, because there you watched the nun's palm approaching your eye itself as it made contact with your cheek.

I know very few girls (even the "bad" girls who got it all the time) who were ever able to stand still and take a face-slapping without flinching away, which was why the nuns often picked you up by your hair to hold you in place for a face-slapping, or sometimes pinched at one cheek while they slapped the other. Aside from the extra pain, it held your head firmly in place as the nun's palm made contact with your cheek.

Even today I can't abide a partner's touching my face, it just triggers so many things even after nearly half a century. Fingertips to my neck, great, or lips to my face, but DON'T you dare come near my face with your fingers or your hands or I'll positively freak out.

The dustbrush to your backside hurt like the dickens, but at least you didn't see it coming. That made all the difference in the world, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hardened girl!" exclaimed Miss Scatcherd; "nothing can correct you of your slatternly habits: carry the rod away."

neilfrommanc

Re : Caned on Hands

March 10 2011, 10:19 PM 

Although I was at school when the cane, and various other implements, were in regular use, as far as I am aware face-slapping, hair-pulling and cheek-pinching were complete no-nos even then. But once again it seems like nuns were a law unto themselves.

StevefromSE5

March 10 2011, 10:57 PM 

Hi Tavi

I've known quite a few Catholic-educated men & women over here & you'll not be stunned to hear nunsUK were no less efficient in their corporal punishment, if less "inventive" than your lot-I dread to think what MIGHT have happened if our lot had got wind od dustbrushing.

Hopefully, they may have moved to a rather hotter climate, if there's any justice, in the next world, if not in this one!

Now, what were they like in the mental torture stakes-as bad as with the dustbrush? I hope I'm wrong, but I just have this image of Mother Superior angrily asking errant children:

"What would Jesus say if he were here now about ****************(this being what sin you've just committed)?"

And then belting etc the life out of you whatever the reply.

And was anyone daft enough, if this happened, to say "Isn't He rather busier saving Mankind to worry about me smoking?"-and where were they buried afterwards?

Steve

American Way

March 11 2011, 3:31 AM 

Tavi when you read about corporal punishment with controlled methods (other than the ruler or yardstick) some of our readers just don't understand. It's the terror of the capricious and sudden use of force. I do all my heavyy slapping on the face in the morning so you have no marks to show your folks was only my eighth grade teacher but a year without changing classes was torture. Get that smile off your face with an overbight and being hit while lined up in the morning. One reader here dismissed an eraser thrown at the head as a so what experience. So what? Like an eye or a tooth (more likely in my case). We're not talking the lecture that the rubber band boy received on the dangers of flicking one in TWP. You have to walk a mile in another one's shoes as this writer shared in her Newsweek article from two years ago. It had echoes of your plight Tavi Some of the readers of our estimable Forum will never understand. Welcome aboard.

http://www.newsweek.com/2009/04/25/a-catholic-school-veteran-tells-all.html

OZGeorge

March 11 2011, 9:10 AM 

Well, I don't know.
It seems to me that I felt a lot more able to control my reactions when I was caned on the hands, because I could see it happening.
It's like getting a needle at the doctor I guess.

Some people turn away and close their eyes,but I feel much better if I can see what's happening.
Getting the cane on the bottom was terrifying for that reason.

I felt totally powerless,and the apprehension was as bad as the caning.
I will always maintain that it hurts much more getting it on the bottom.
I simply can't see how anybody who has had experience of both, can possibly say that the cane on the hands hurts more.
It's totally beyond my comprehension!

It's not just me either.
Every guy I have ever spoken to who has experienced both has said the same thing.
Oh well!
Horses for courses I guess.

Venturer

I agree with OZGeorge

March 15 2011, 11:51 PM 

At junior school I was regularly caned on the hands and got used to it the point where it seemed no big deal. So the first time at grammar school when I was sent to the Head's office, I just thought here we go again. I saw the cane on his desk, listened to the lecture and then was surprised when he told me to bend over the desk. I got three strokes that day and boy did it sting, far worse than anything I'd had before.
When in later years I experienced the infamous six of the best, I knew it was serious punishment. Maybe the beatings were more severe for older boys but no way was a hand caning to be compared with six on the backside.

OZGeorge

March 17 2011, 10:05 AM 

Thank you Venturer.
I couldn't agree more!
I dreaded getting the cane at primary school,but once I had it, it seemed no big deal really.
That was given on the fingertips,rather than the hand itself.
It did hurt a bit, but only for the first two cuts.
When I got the cane the first time at my high school, I was pretty cocky, until I found out that I was getting it on my bottom.
It was total agony!!
Absolutely no comparison with a hand caning.
They are like chalk and cheese!
It always hurts many times worse on the backside.

hcj

March 17 2011, 10:25 AM 

It always hurts many times worse on the backside.

or perhaps...

I found it always hurt me many times worse on the backside.

OZGeorge

March 18 2011, 10:18 PM 

I can assure you that it is not only myself who has commented on this.

Every single male that I have ever spoken to who has experience of both hand and bottom caning has proclaimed the same thing.

I am resting my case.

Who needs the aggravation?

StevefromSE5

March 18 2011, 11:17 PM 

Hi George

Wonder if getting it on the fingers, as you did, was "better" than across the palm, which is the only part of the hand on which I saw the caning after-effects?

There's not much flesh nor muscle in the palm, compared to the fingers, so MAYBE that's the difference?

Don't go trying it out, please, definitely NOT worth the hassle!!

Steve

george

March 19 2011, 5:55 PM 

I have commented on this before. Not only does it hurt more on the bottom but is safer. the reason it hurts on the bottom more is very simple. The target area is a lot bigger and even a stray stroke 9unless high up on the back) cannot cause injury, unlike strokes on the fingers. this allows the cane to be applied with a lot more force to the bottom.

George....yes...I am still alive !!

Carl and mats

March 19 2011, 8:19 PM 

Welcome back Georn!

We has missed you.

American Way

Humor or Humour

March 19 2011, 11:55 PM 

This belongs in the Corporal Punishment on the Lighter Side but I have taken the liberty to insert it here for those who can appreciate my often bizarre sense of humor or as you say humour. I invoke the privileges I am entitled to as a perpetual honoree however undeserving. wink.gif

CLICK

In the recent English case of Gardner v. Bygrave, which was an action of assault and battery brought by a pupil against his school-master for caning him on the hand, Mr. Justice Mathew made a joke which the Saturday Review regards as a " shining instance of how the tedium of legal proceedings may be profitably relieved, and the principles of law aptly illustrated by a really ready and witty observation." It was admitted on all hands that assuming caning on the hands to be a proper mode of punishment, the caning in question was a good and lawful one. The plaintiff's counsel, in an argument of a distinctly a posteriori character, contended that the lawfulness of caning on the hand depended on the occupation of the boy when out of school, and that the defendant ought to have inquired into the plaintiff's employment. "If he worked with his hands, such a punishment might seriously interfere with his occupation. Punishment might be inflicted elsewhere" whereupon the court asked, "what if his occupation were sedentary?"
It was ultimately decided that caning on the hand, when properly done and for a proper reason, is lawful.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement