Return to Index  

I used to think........

November 13 2006 at 3:43 PM
JC  (Login JCY88)
PP Discussion Group

Response to Your opinion about Watch Winders

that I needed a winder once I got more than 1 automatic watch. However I now have 5 or 6 autos and I have not got one yet. Why?

1) Its only takes 2 or 3 minutes to wind and set a watch
2) Its fun to wind them!! I like to play with them
3) I wind it every 1 or 2 weekends.... all of them, even the manuals. Its like taking the car out for a drive

Before you think I have only simple autos, I do have 2 automatic perpetuals, one being the GMT +/- Perpetual and a PP 5059, and even these take no longer than a couple of minutes to set fully and correctly, so I did not get one.

WILL WINDERS "HURT" THE MOVEMENT?
Too many arguments for and against using winders. I have read them all and I am still undecided. BUT for me intuitively, if you use something all the time there is probably more wear and tear. Yet I do not want to have watches "un-used". So my solution is to wind them every 2 weeks. Also I actually rotate through all my watches very consistently, so they all get used. That way I dont worry about oils/cogs inside getting clogged up and unused.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page