<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Opening of the UN festival exhibition, Salzburg August 8 (many pics - Part 1)

August 28 2003 at 6:51 AM
Marcus Hanke  (no login)

August is festival season in Salzburg. World famous singers, orchestras and solists are here to perform opera, concert and theater. During that time it is common to show special works of art, be it in galleries or in jewellers shops, or - in watch shops. This year, Ulysse Nardin and Peter Wallek of Juwelier Schneider hosted a wonderful exhibition of UN watches. Opened it was on the evening of August 8th. Here are some pics. If not noted otherwise, all pics were made by Peter Wallek, whom I'd like to express my thanks for the invitation, the wonderful evening - and the pics he shares with us!

It was a wonderful and warm evening; the right time to go out and see some beauties!

The shop is located in one of the old medieval houses in the famous Getreidegasse, Salzburg's main shopping street.

Of course, old houses like this have nice vaults, and in this room the beautiful UN watches (together with some Sattler clocks on the wall) were shown to the interested visitors.

A propos looking at beauties: Here I am trying to convince my beloved wife that I would need another watch.

The men in charge: Renato Bonina, Managing Director of Ulysse Nardin Europe, responsible for the EU market (left), and Peter Wallek from Juwelier Schneider (right)

My friend Markus, watchmaker at the Schneider shop

Among the stars of the evening was, of course, the limited platinum set of the Trilogy of Time.

The stunning Tellurium with the new enamel dial.

Also two Freaks were exhibited

The tradition of enamel dials received much acclaim.

Display of Marine watches

Diamond-bezelled collection

Ladies GMT

Hope you like the pics, and please also look at Part 2!
Marcus

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

UN exhibition at Salzburg, part 2 (also many pics)

August 28 2003, 7:09 AM 

Now let us look at the crowd having a wonderful evening, looking at finest watches, sipping on cocktails, chatting, having fun ...

Again, all pics were made by Peter Wallek, if not noted otherwise.

Outside the old vault, the house has a typical Renaissance courtyard. While inside watches, technology - and money were discussed, outside was the right place to enjoy the evening and to give the a break to those that were overwhelmed by all the fine details.

(from left to right) John van Steinburg, UN Sales Director for Germany, the Netherlands and Austria, my wife Astrid, myself, Renato Bonina, Managing Director, Ulysse Nardin Europe

Finally, the evening was late already, we were happy to give our aching feet a rest

Coming Out of watch lovers

With a visit to a local club a wonderful evening found its dynamic end:

Next year, there is a festival season again!
Marcus

This message has been edited by mhanke on Aug 28, 2003 7:10 AM

Respond to this message   
Gatsby
(no login)

Wonderful report !!!

August 28 2003, 10:23 AM 

Thanks Marcus for the great report and all this fantastic pics. I was last summer in Salzburg to see a theatre piece at the festival, in the afternoon I visited this store ...
Didn't buy anything, because last year Panerai was my deep love. Now, there are several UN's I want to have.

Btw.: Where was your Marine Diver?

Many greetings
Werner

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Thanks, Werner! ...

August 28 2003, 1:41 PM 

Glad you liked the pics! For the event, I replaced my trusted Marine Diver with a more esoteric UN:

Marcus

Respond to this message   
Jim Rothbarth
(Login jnr88)

Beautiful watch Marcus. (nt)

August 28 2003, 2:33 PM 

Respond to this message   
jeffg
(Login jeffreyg)

Wonderful photos! Looks like a spectacular time. Thank You! (nt)

August 28 2003, 3:22 PM 

(nt)

Respond to this message   
Steven Walker
(no login)

Thanks - what a fine setting for such a great event -nt-

August 28 2003, 5:13 PM 

ssss

Respond to this message   
Charles
(no login)

@ Marcus

August 29 2003, 11:12 AM 

Thanks a lot for the beautiful report...

Your words: "A propos looking at beauties: Here I am trying to convince my beloved wife that I would need another watch."... And she is in a position a little bit ... aggressive or anxious?
I hope you were not too much influenced by her and Renato Bonina did well his job. Where is the picture of your new ? ?

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Sorry, no new watch now ...

August 30 2003, 3:12 AM 

my watch budget 2003 is currently exhausted (except a fund for a birthday present for my wife - I found a very nice Zenith Rainbow chrono in steel/gold with blue dial, built approx. 1995, but still resting new at a dealer). But this exhibition brought a watch into my attention that I had not taken notice too much before: the annual chrono. While the Maxi Marine is really nice in pink gold with a black dial (like yours), I think that in steel, I would prefer the Annual Chronograph with black dial (silver dial, like the one Thomas acquired, is more elgant, but I have already the silver-faced Marine Diver, so a black dial would be more "different"). It is really a great watch, and my wife likes it, too (even in spite of the missing displayback, which is very important for her).

Another candidate would be the simple Michelangelo Big Date in pink gold. This watch is absolutely marvelous! Not too conspicious, it shows calssic elegance, and for me, it has just the most beautiful tonneau I ever tried! That it has luminous hands and markers, makes it an absolutely perfect everyday dress watch. Problem: I would have a difficult time defending it from the hands of my wife!

Marcus

This message has been edited by mhanke on Aug 30, 2003 3:15 AM

Respond to this message   
Nirvair
(no login)

A fine time..to be sure. Thank you Marcus! nt

September 4 2003, 2:43 PM 

Respond to this message   

ei8htohms
(Login ei8htohms)
AP Discussion Group

excellent, thanks Marcus! looks like a fabulous time (nt)

August 28 2003, 10:25 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Azean
(Login azean)
AP Discussion Group

Wonderfull event, I wish I was there! Thanks. nt

August 28 2003, 12:28 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Austrian translation request >>

August 29 2003, 6:54 AM 

I only know few German words from wartime movies or restaurant menus, so please pardon my French.

Does 'Schmuckpassage' mean what I think it means?
What should I think it means?

Thanks for the lovely pictures.

Regards,
MTF

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Your wish is my command ...

August 29 2003, 7:36 AM 

The French word (spelled the same in English, though) "pssssage" designates an element of architecture: A wide corridor through the house, with small shops on both sides, is a "passage" in this context. "Schmuckpassage" (darn, now I understand what you meant! schmuck ) means a passage with jeweller shops.

Marcus

Respond to this message   

Lord__Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

you would not mean the Yiddish word shmock by chance, would you? >

August 29 2003, 7:49 AM 

It can also be said shmogioine but this is solely for insiders.

Shy regards

Lord Arran

Respond to this message   
Marcus Hanke
(no login)

Yes, I meant that ...

August 31 2003, 3:58 AM 

My watchmaker and friend, Markus (who can be seen enthusiastically dancing in the club with his Austrian "Lederhosen"), once told me that Jewish visitors from the States once were kidding around, and explained to him the meaning of "schmock" in yiddish.

Melvyn's brief comment brought this back into my memory.
Marcus

Respond to this message   
Marcus Hanke
(no login)

Unfortunately, my Webster's dictionary ...

August 31 2003, 4:01 AM 

... which even features a Yiddish/English part, does not list the word.

Marcus

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

My oriental inscrutability >>

August 31 2003, 2:58 PM 

cannot be compromised, so I cannot admit any knowledge of Yiddish.......but Arran-sama knows that if one knows of the "frutier" Kansai-dialect of Japanese, nothing is impossible
MTF

Respond to this message   

Lord__Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

Hai Melvynsma, so-desu ne. Anatawa taihen isogashi desu-ka? nt.

September 1 2003, 2:42 AM 

-

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Chigaimasu, ima o-yasumi desu >>

September 3 2003, 5:33 AM 

My life a the moment is just one big sleeping holiday

Regards,
MTF

Respond to this message