<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Two new friends (well, one kind of old)...

November 20 2006 at 5:58 PM
MichaelC  (Login MichaelC1000m)
AP Discussion Group

This nugget arrived on Friday, and I have to say the brown dial is awesome. The bracelet is also very well executed, and most importantly, comfortable.

And then this wonderful chronometer made it today. Aside from the seconds hand (which UN will be replacing for me soon) it is perfect. I have been actively searching for about 8 months; I bid on one and lost. I found several others that for one reason or another were not right for me. Then I found this piece, and the search was over.

The pics are not up to my usual standard, but hopefully I will find some time over the holiday to snap some better ones. Just wanted to share some quick ones.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MichaelC
(Login MichaelC1000m)
AP Discussion Group

And the Ship's Chronometer up and running...

November 21 2006, 9:27 PM 

What a trip it was setting this thing. Huge fun factor. Gonna really enjoy winding this one daily

Respond to this message   
Tim Jackson
(Login TimJackson)

Congrats, a great acquisition...

November 22 2006, 7:18 AM 

Michael,

I know you've been on the search for one of these for a while. I think these are great pieces of horological history, that represent an important part of the human race's past, that of navigating and the need for accuracy with which to enable precise positioning over many nautical miles at sea.

Having sailed across the Atlantic prior to GPS, I know the importance of precise timekeeping as my skipper took sun sights with a sextant and plotted our course over the 21 days, so that we were within 5 miles of where he thought we were when we sighted land, Barbados.

This is probably why I have such an affinity for UN watches, this connection to the sea and navigation. Enjoy your Maxi Diver, one of the greatest dive watches currently available IMHO,

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Warm regards,

Tim

Respond to this message   
MichaelC
(no login)

Thanks Tim...

November 23 2006, 8:33 AM 

I had been prowling for a while. I appreciate all of the help you provided as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family my friend.

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Wow! A highly interesting comment! Your affinity towards UN watches ...

November 24 2006, 7:23 AM 

.. is something truly special. As one of the many landlubbers here I feel a bit jealous, for not having that kind of experience on the high seas.

Regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
Tim Jackson
(Login TimJackson)

Thanks Marcus,

November 24 2006, 10:08 AM 

Although it was 21 years ago, part of me still yearns for those somewhat carefree days of pre kids, real job, responsibilities etc.

Wearing my UN watches provides a reminder of those times...

Warm regards,

Tim

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

My sincere congratulations, especially regarding the ship's chronometer ...

November 24 2006, 7:19 AM 

... I am glad to hear that you finally got one. I assume it was made in the Sixties? Do you have any documentation for the clock? I am sure it will be displayed in a prominent location in your place, worthy for an architect's taste.

And the Maxi Diver, is this some kind of surrogate drug therapy while waiting for the Anniversary? Looks gorgeous, I only wish I could see what the dial really looks like, it seems to be very difficult to photograph.

With best regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
MichaelC
(no login)

A big "yes" to the second part...

November 24 2006, 8:32 AM 

I think UN knew if they starved me long enough on the 160 I would crack like a poorly built dam! But I do love that piece, and promise to get you some better pictures.

As for the chronometer, it was made in August of 1957. So, next year will be its 50th! It is a real gem. And it seems great from an accuracy standpoint. When I first got it going, it seemed to start slow but now she is tracking spot on. I estimate the power reserve at almost 53 hours too on a full charge. I will get it to UN early next year for the seconds hand replacement and general inspection, but for now I am most pleased with it

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page