<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2 queries

November 26 2006 at 8:35 AM
dabt  (Login dabt)

I would be most grateful if someone could help me with the following queries:

1. the 1846 Marine Chrono is available with dials in white lacquer, 'silverised' and blue - each with either Roman or Arabic numerals. It seems that in some cases the numerals and markers are raised and 'painted' and in others they are just 'painted'. Is this the case? If so does model have a different code? The dials with the raised symbols seem to have more depth.

2. The San Marco Alarm watch seems to be a it of a UN 'cinderella'. Some examples seem to have a sweep second hand and a date aperture at 3 o'clock and others (perhaps older examples) have no date aperture but something that resembles a second hand pointing to a date marker on the very edge of the dial. Is this the case? If so is this a practicable dial?

Many thanks in anticipation.

bws dabt

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Replies ...

November 27 2006, 2:29 AM 

ad 1: I assume you mean the 1846 Marine Chronometer, not the Chronograph. You are right, there are currently two different dials with Roman numerals available:
a) white lacquer with printed Roman numerals, and
b) silverized with embossed Roman numerals.

The former can be distinguished already by the watch's reference number, since it ends with /40, while the latter has reference numbers ending with /30.

The embossed numerals are a bit larger than the printed ones. For me personally, the white lacquer version is more desirable, since it is closer to the dials of the original ship's chronometers, while - as you stated already - the embossed numerals have a nice three dimensional effect of depth.

Originally, there were also blue dials with embossed Roman numerals, but I could not find these in the lists any more, only the blue dials with embossed Arabic numerals.

ad 2: The San Marco Alarm is one of the longest serving UN watches in the line. While having disappeared from the catalogues since at least four years, it is still available new from UN, at least in the US. As most other alarm wristwatches of its time, it is equipped with a Schild AS 5008 (or was it 5001?) automatic alarm movement, that is also used by Maurice Lacroix, and - with additional GMT module - by Girard Perregaux and Baume & Mercier. Many other companies used this movement as well. Most movements were NOS, but since some time, Dubois-D├ępraz is producing the whole movement for its customers. If I recall the facts correctly from my leaky memory, the movement uses two spring barrels, one for the movement and one for the alarm, but the automatic winding mechanism is winding both of them simultaneously. The movement's biggest disadvantage is its lack of alarm noise, it only has a very decent, not unpleasant sound, which again makes it an advantage when using it as a mere appointment alarm, in a meeting, for example.

There are two versions available from UN, one with a standard date window, the other, more unique one, with a pointer date. The calendar hand is located under the dial, and its red or silver tip is indicating the date through a series of small apertures beside the date numerals.

Case diameter is 38.5mm

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
dabt
(Login dabt)

Thanks

November 27 2006, 8:27 AM 

Thank you Marcus. I will take your advice re 1846 chronometer. Having read through all previous messages/responses on this forum I don't think I would describe your memory as leaky - -- perhaps legendary! I hope UN appreciate your ambassadorial talents!
regards doug t

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page