I SUPPORT the comment made by red corner of Goroka in this paper who hit the nail on the head about PNG Amateur Boxing Union.
Since the Lohial and Avira regime took over I have seen little change to amateur boxing in PNG. Here are the few questions I want to raise on behalf of the silent majority of Boxers in the country.
* WHERE is the promised boxing equipment from the AIBA vice president to all associations?
* $US10,000 normally sent by AIBA for Oceania boxing development, where do these monies go to?
* ARE all affiliated associations under PNG Amateur Boxing Union insured?
* WHERE is the much talked about PNG Amateur Boxing Union office?
* ALL monies from sponsors and companies acquitted for transparency? PNGABU can criticise the two professional boxing bodies when something bad happens but do they have incentives for amateur boxers? In todays world we need money and not gold or a trophy because those medals wont buy the needs of a boxer and his family. The big man attitude is killing the amateurs in the country. Wind your dark glass down and level yourself with us who are interested in boxing so you would have a fair idea of what our needs are. Please lets develop amateurs and then protect our boxers from turning professional.
Of course they are thats why Manus has pulled out and gone into its own provincial comp. their always controversial in their judging and biased. theyre out now but then the others are beginning to do the same. they always put their sons and cronies on the international squads and it without merit.
I couldn't have put it any better. The two culprits here Mr. Lohial Nuau and John Avira have the worst thing that has ever happened to PNG Boxing. Look at where it is today, a total disgrace with nothing to show for since they took over. All the fund wasted, all the times and energy spend by boxers and sponsors alike have gone down the drain because of these two. Mr. Nuau in particular had used this association for his personal gain. Not to worry. Look at him today. A man who holds no more respect in the Boxing fraternity in his own backyard of Bougainville. He is nothing. Finished !
We need new blood in. Boxing stands to be the one of the few spots with a real chance to get a first Olympic Gold medal for PNG...but only if these two are gone, gone and gone !!