PNGScape's PNG Sports Forum

LATEST NEWS

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum  

PNG Boy in NZ 7 's

January 11 2012 at 7:07 PM
Meta 

There's a PNG boy in the NZ 7's and I think he is awesome. I think he has to be the 1st PNG to be in NZ 7. He played in Port Elizabeth in South Africa last year and I think he will make the NZ team to play in wellington in February.

What an exciting player.

Wala

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
wow

Re: PNG Boy in NZ 7 's

January 12 2012, 2:27 PM 

whats his name?

Respond to this message   
Max

His name is George Tilsley

January 12 2012, 2:58 PM 

Don't know which part of PNG he is from but theres a picture of him if you follow the link below

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/kapi-mana-news/5074882/Tawa-winger-makes-his-mark

Winger makes his mark

George Tilsley is one rugby player you sit or stand up a little straighter to watch whenever he touches the ball.

The Tawa RFC winger is in his second year with the premier squad and has made his mark in their Swindale Shield campaign this year.

He has missed a handful of games due to injury, however, but made a successful comeback on May 21 in the loss to Upper Hutt.

"I'm disappointed when I can't be out there; this is a good team and club, and I'd love to be helping them achieve what I know we can."

The fleet-footed Tilsley has the ability to stand up opposition wingers and score tries from nothing, as he showed with a scintillating double in the opening fixture of the season, a narrow loss to Old Boys-University.

His natural ability and pace has been honed by stints in the New Zealand flag and sevens sides, playing for the national B team in the latter.

Tilsley was born in Papua New Guinea, where rugby league rules the roost.

The 19-year-old admits a fondness for union's rival, but it's the 15-man game that has served him well after he came to New Zealand eight years ago.

The old boy of Kura St, Titahi Bay Intermediate and Tawa College was encouraged by a friend to give rugby a crack as an 11-year-old, told to stand out on the wing and "don't get tackled".

He found this to be an easy direction to follow.

As a one-time member of Norths-Onepoto under 11s, getting into the Northern United senior setup might have seemed logical, but he's thankful for the opportunities afforded him at Tawa.

He made their senior firsts as a 17-year-old, saying "getting smashed" at a young age has actually done his confidence a lot of good.

"Everyone talks about Norths and that's fair enough, they have a good club and great prem[ier] team.

"But I see this [playing for Tawa premiers] as the chance to play against the best in the region, and I really enjoy the atmosphere at Tawa. The culture is great and there's a lot of talent and loyalty, this is what keeps people coming back," he said.

"We haven't been putting the results together but I don't think we're far away."

He cites the May 7 win over second-placed Oriental-Rongotai as an example of what they are capable of.

The 19-year-old has had to grow up pretty quickly, living on his own in New Zealand after difficult family circumstances.

Alongside rugby commitments, Tilsley has completed a business management course and worked as a lifeguard at Tawa Pool and in customer service with Jetstar, before taking up a customer service role for Work and Income in Wellington recently.

"I think it's important to have options outside rugby; you should set yourself up in case something happens.

"Some things have been a challenge to deal with in my life, but it's about how well you manage and I think I've found a balance."

A member of the Wellington Lions' development squad, Tilsley hopes to shake off his injuries and push for higher honours at NPC level.

He remains committed to sevens as well, but options like playing overseas or even flirting with rugby league are not totally off the table.

We'll see how I go. My focus is getting back playing for Tawa.

"I'm going to be patient with my rugby, work hard and see what happens."

Respond to this message   
Meta

PNG Boy in NZ 7 's

January 13 2012, 8:27 AM 

I saw him when he was in my part of town for North Island 7's championship and he is a player of the future. The commentator in the stand mentioned that he scored 7 tries out of nine touches in in 3 games on that day. I was there to witness that.

What this guy proves to me is that there are young PNG boys both in NZ and Aussie who can play at that level. Some of those kids would have been playing rugby as young as 5 years old and apart from the natural ability for PNG boys to play rugby/league their rugby skills would be well developed. Maybe Shane H. the PNG rugby coach and his management should follow clubs/high schools in these 2 countries and at least indicate to the young talents that they are interested in them. Chances are that these boys will want to play for their host countries first but given the competitive nature in their host countries they will be interested in the home country if they do not make it.

I can see PNG becoming very competitive if we do mix both PNG local talents and overseas PNG based players.

Meta

Respond to this message   
Ples Mangi

Re: PNG Boy in NZ 7 's

January 14 2012, 8:53 AM 

Great to know.

Respond to this message   
Fainga

PNG 7's

January 19 2012, 6:39 PM 

How come PNG 7's team are not in Wellington 7 next month - Feb 2012?

Respond to this message   
Trupla

Re: PNG 7's

March 10 2012, 8:54 PM 

His mum is from the Eastern Highlands and dad New Zealand.He was born in Mendi ,SHP where his dad used to be a workshop manager for several trucking companies based in Hagen and Mendi.

Good to hear young upcoming talents, part PNG that promote their PNG identity and are committed to make a point that PNGeans can excel in any sporting codes overseas through discipline and commitment.

Respond to this message   
PNG Wantok

Incorrect info..

September 18 2012, 12:40 PM 

He is not in the Wellington Development Team this year....The only PNG player that I know of has played for Wellington age group rep teams(16s, secondary schools,u19s, u21s, B team), NZ U16 trialist, Bay of Plenty Streamers is Wayne Aquila. He is huge prop whose dad is from Ialibu and mum is from Samoa. He is also Tuu Maori's(Kumul) cousin. He is a huge prop who plays out at Hutt Old Boys Marist club in lower hutt. His twin brothers are talented league and rugby players. One of them plays for Petone Premiers and other for Avalon rugby club.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum