PNGScape's PNG Sports Forum

LATEST NEWS

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum  

Any latest infor on the make up of the 2013 world cup squad?

April 4 2012 at 1:09 PM
Kumuls u have balls to beat Kangaroos 

People of PNG and fans of league, does any body have some infor on the make up of the 2013 world cup in England?
1. any new faces from overseas
2. any new guys from the Digicel Comp.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
kumuls u have the balls to beat kangaroos

just an addition to my first posting

April 4 2012, 1:40 PM 

Kumuls ready to cash in By Online Editor
4:29 pm GMT+12, 28/03/2012, Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea stands a good chance of making its maiden rugby league world cup semi-final after being drawn in Group B with New Zealand, France and Samoa.

The 2013 tournament to be held in England and Wales sees the Kumuls with a realistic chance of reaching the second round of playoff matches unlike the last world cup in 2008 where PNG was drawn in the “pool of death” alongside league giants Australia, New Zealand and England.

Not surprisingly the Kumuls lost all their matches and exited the tournament early while fellow Melanesians Fiji made history by reaching the semi-final stage.

The current format has 14 teams in four groups with the top two groups A and B holding four teams while the lesser groups C and D have three teams.

With flexible eligibility rules and five years to ponder their place in international rugby league the Kumuls have enough talent to secure the number two spot in their group which will see them take on the third place finisher in Group B which would be either Fiji or Ireland.
But according to PNGRFL administrator, Ivan Ravu the sport and its administrators need to get their house in order first and start their preparations quickly for PNG to build momentum for the world cup.

This is a stern warning yesterday from acting PNG Rugby Football League administrator Ivan Ravu when releasing statement from International Rugby Football (IRF) on the 2013WRL Cup draws.

Ravu said PNG is pooled against World Cup holder New Zealand, France and Samoa in Pool B.

The World Cup tournament next year involves 14 nations which include; Australia, Cook Islands, England, Fiji, France, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Samoa, Scotland, Tonga, USA and Wales.

The acting administrator said our success would depend on PNG’s preparation for the tournament. It is very important that PNG Kumuls must have regular tournament starting this year until next year in preparation for the World Cup.

PNG’s biggest hurdle would be the immediate selection of coaching staff and players – training squad.

“It is 12 months away but it is important that we organise our possible team. PNGRFL can maintain the core of its Kumul players and also several members of emerging squad who are maturing very quickly who will provide depth to selection when making the team,” he said.

Ravu said the training must start now but the coach staff have yet to be appointed while PNGRFL Board is yet to be elected, and we (PNG) really need to work hard as soon as the positions are filled.

The biggest responsibility must go to representative players at Digicel Cup and international level to maintain their form as NRL players need not to worry as they are training week in and week out.

There are few PNG players such as Tyson Martin who is part PNG playing North Queensland Cowboys is also pressing for selection apart from David Mead and James Segeyaro from NRL competition.

A lot of players are contracted in England will have to work hard to make the training squad for 2013 World Cup.

PNG will be based out of Hull – the home town of former PNG Kumul player Stanley Gene will move around to play football.

The competition’s structure will consist of two groups of four, with England drawn alongside arch rivals Australia, Fiji and Ireland in Group A.

Scotland will face Tonga and Italy in Group C and joint hosts Wales have been drawn against the Cook Islands and the USA in Group D.

The first games and opening ceremony will be played on Sat October 26 and the final on Sat Nov 30. However, the full list of dates and kick-offs will only be announced when the broadcast schedule is finalised.

Ravu said PNG’s success would depend on preparation for the tournament.

“It is very important that PNG Kumuls must have regular tournaments starting this year until next year in preparation for the World Cup,” he said.

“PNG’s biggest hurdle would be the immediate selection of coaching staff and players – training squad.
“It is 17 months away but it is important that we organise our possible team.
“PNGRFL can maintain the core of its Kumul players and also several members of the emerging squad who are maturing well quickly who will provide depth to selection when making the team.”

Ravu said the training must start now but the coaching staff had not been appointed while the PNGRFL board is yet to be elected.

“The biggest responsibility is on representative players in the Digicel Cup while those playing overseas had the benefit of playing at a high level week in and week out.”

The Kumuls look to be well served in the halves and hooking roles with several NRL players eligible for selection.
NRL players David Mead, James Segeyaro, Neville Costigan, Ray Thompson and Tyson Martin are players who will be monitored by selectors.

Other Australian-based players who have kept under the radar but are very much in the mix are Tu’u Maori, Keith Peters, Jack Cooper, Matt Nightingale, Tommy Butterfield, Joe Bond, Jay Ashton and Rod Griffin.

England-based Menzie Yere, Paul Aiton, Ryan Tongia, Makali Aizue and Jason Chan have all excelled in the Kumul jumper.

A lot of players contracted in England will have to work hard to make the training squad for the 2013 World Cup.

PNG will be based in Stanley Gene’s hometown Hull.

The 14 nations are Australia, Cook Islands, England, Fiji, France, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, PNG, Samoa, Scotland, Tonga, USA and Wales.

The first games and opening ceremony will be on Oct 26 and the final on Nov 30.

SOURCE: THE NATIONAL/PACNEWS

Respond to this message   
Jr

My Team

May 27 2012, 9:54 PM 

well just from my own personal experience of watching the kumuls i wouldnt mind seeing the following team:

1. David Mead
2. Ryan Tongia
3. Menzie Yere
4. Jessie Joe Parker
5. Tu'u Maori
6. Keith Peters
7. Ray Thompson
8. Makali Aizue
9. James Segeyaro
10. Jason Chan
11. Neville Costigan (if he is willing to play in order to forsake qld)
12. Rod Griffin
13. Paul Aiton
14. Larsen Marabe
15. Trevor Exton
16. James Nightingale
17. Charlie Wabo
18th Man. Glen Nami

Respond to this message   
kumul discoverer

this team can do it

May 27 2012, 10:41 PM 

looks cool but i would prefer these guys

1. david mead
2. ryan tongia
3. jesse joey parker/ tu'u maori
4. menzie yere
5. joe bond/
6. keith peters
7. ray thompson
8. makali aizue
9. james segeyaro
10. jason chan
11. tyson martin
12. rod griffin
13. paul aiton
14. jack cooper
15. rhys martin (younger brother of tyson martin, plays for rooster nyc)
16. glen nami
17. jason nightingale

i guess this bunch of guys can do something proud for us...all the best kumuls

Respond to this message   
Dahman

Lock

June 1 2012, 1:27 PM 

Glen Nami must be 13. You guys have any idea?? Long long maski.

Respond to this message   
@Dahman

Glen nami at lock over paul aiton

June 6 2012, 9:00 PM 

Lets consider what you are stating. Put Glen Nami over internationally, nrl and superleague proven paul aiton. Im not saying glen nami is a bad player, far from it, he is very good, however paul aiton does demand that spot over most contenders. He was an outstanding player for the Kumuls in the undermanned 4 nations squad and has played for the kumuls in most prime ministers XII games and in the 2008 world cup. So he has international experience on his side aswell. Yes Glen Nami is a good solid player for the Kumuls but not over Paul Aiton.

Respond to this message   
sulu

Re: this team can do it

October 3 2012, 8:20 PM 

what are about Thomson Tete for Goroka Lahanis, hes young and very explosive, he's in graet form....

Respond to this message   
peter lareva

truave

October 18 2013, 10:58 PM 

I agree,that Thompson Tete is a explosive player on the field and should be given a chance to represent our country`s national Team......so many recycle players from the previuos years.

Respond to this message   
Teacher

Re: truave

October 19 2013, 1:43 AM 

Aunty Cathy ! yu save lo read tu o ? This post is old. I'd like to see you use your head next time .

Respond to this message   
ExplosiveStudent

Re: truave

October 19 2013, 1:46 AM 

teacher... go marble >>

Respond to this message   
PNG

Re: Any latest infor on the make up of the 2013 world cup squad?

June 5 2012, 12:10 PM 

Where's Keith Peters playing now?

Respond to this message   
PNG

June 5 2012, 12:11 PM 

And where's Tu'u Maori playing too?

Respond to this message   
Mack

June 5 2012, 2:48 PM 

Ray Thompson has moved to 5/8th with the Cowboys so he should #6 for kumuls and Peters for #7.

Respond to this message   
kumul discoverer

Keith Peters & Tu'u Moari whereabouts 2012

June 6 2012, 10:23 AM 

Tu'u Moari is with Newtown Jets after being dumped by Storms for coming late for training. havent heard of the latest on Keith peters, he was with NewTown Jets in 2010, with Tu'u Maori and Richard Kambo

Read Below: TU"U MAORI

FAMILY means everything to new Ipswich Jets recruit Tu'u Maori.

He writes it on his wrist to motivate himself before each game of football he plays.

Family is the reason the Papua New Guinea international tried his luck with NRL clubs Cronulla, Sydney Roosters and the Melbourne Storm, where he was just one spot outside the top 17-man squad last season.

It is also what brought him to Ipswich.

"It was a last-minute thing," the 23-year-old outside back said from Jets training on Monday.

"I was looking for a club after leaving the Melbourne Storm.

"It didn't go well down there."

So the search for a new club began and when his manager made contact with the Jets, both parties reached an agreement.

It suited Maori because he has family at Karana Downs, with whom he is staying while he searches for a place to live.

"It was probably the best deal for me and my little family," he said.

Maori and partner Lucy are the parents of three-month-old A.J.

"It seemed good enough to start off with my family," he said.

"I'm looking forward to what the future holds."

Maori has been encouraged with what he's seen in the fortnight he's spent with the Jets so far.

"I love it," he said.

"I can't wait to find a place to settle down.

"I've got a job at the Dinmore meatworks.

"It's not the same as at the Melbourne Storm but the physio's top class, the doctor and the coaching staff are excellent and the boys are real cool.

"Everyone's been welcoming."

Things might not have gone entirely to plan at the Storm but Maori emerged from his stint there a better and smarter footballer.

"I learnt a lot," he said.

"So much about not giving up, not showing weakness and a lot about defence.

"They really work on it because attack comes naturally. I learned a lot both on and off the field."

Maori's motivation now is to provide for his young family.

But he originally left his home in Auckland to try and make a name for himself to provide a better life for his parents.

"That desire is still there," he said.

"But now I've got a daughter and partner, it changes everything."

So while he is determined to give his all for the Jets, Maori admits he is eyeing a chance at something more.

"My goal is to get into the Queensland Cup first," he said.

"In the long term, I'd like to have a look at the Titans."

Height: 187cm

Weight: 94kg

Biggest influence: My family.

Favourite player: Greg Inglis.

Best advice: Don't give up.

Favourite food: Island food - Taro and chop suey.

Favourite TV show: Modern Family.

Pre-game ritual: I pray before each game. I also write my brother and nana's names and "family" on my wrist.

Respond to this message   
PNG

Re: Keith Peters & Tu'u Moari whereabouts 2012

June 6 2012, 12:09 PM 

Sorry mate, its IPSWICH JETS in the QRL and not Newtown Jets in the NSWRL.

Respond to this message   
PNG

Re: Keith Peters & Tu'u Moari whereabouts 2012

June 6 2012, 12:17 PM 

Leave Keith Peters out. He's playing for Burwood in the Bundy Cup in Sydney.

Respond to this message   
baby kumuls

Baby kumuls in the mix

June 7 2012, 11:08 AM 

Any new faces in NRL who are capable of making the kumul squad? Am sure there are 2 or 3 guys in Toyota cup this year

Respond to this message   
brissyboy

Re: Baby kumuls in the mix

June 9 2012, 9:24 AM 

There is Kurt baptise contracted to the broncos playing for Norths devils qcup.His played a few first grade games this a very good hooker.There is Rhyse Martin younger brother of Tyson Martin playing for rooster nyc plays lock,second row.Cowboys nyc have Clifford beetham plays hooker or halves.

Respond to this message   
Kumul future

kumuls in nrl

June 12 2012, 2:57 PM 

we also have some one in NYC Cowboys, he is Jack Kelleher

Respond to this message   
Orii blood

Trupla kumul

July 14 2012, 11:25 AM 

Jest wanted to say all the line ups are good.. But plez mipla png less lo kain kain rabish blood ya... ******* T.I nam to ya rausim they claim to be png but are not mipla PNG no bastet ya... Eg; this clifford beethem from nyc rausim T.I nambot..!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not short of rugby players png is filled with talent. Thank you

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum