PNGScape's PNG Sports Forum

LATEST NEWS

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum  

Tuksi Karu in Gulf Isapeas Digicel Cup

May 17 2012 at 12:06 PM
iara 

By KEITH PUARIA
GULF Isapeas captain Moore Evara does not remember Papua New Guinea’s remarkable performance at the World Rugby League 7s in 1993, and the star of that tournament.
He was born about a month later that same year.
But this Sunday’s Digicel Cup round six match against three-time intercity cup winners Rabaul Gurias will see Evara lead his side with the star of that ’93 tournament a part of his team.
Yes. It is official. The struggling eighth-placed Isapeas have taken arguably the biggest gamble in the history of the premier league tournament, resurrecting 40-year-old Tuksy Karu.
“We haven’t found the direction in our halves, but we have Tuksy Karu,” chief selector Jacob Ivaroa revealed yesterday.
“He’s been a part of our preparations since the first season.”
Ivaroa said the idea was borne a couple of weeks ago, when the halves issue again came to the fore with yet another loss.
Team manager Bosco Kose had reminded Ivaroa of Queensland Maroons coach Wayne Bennett’s gutsy call to drag retired Queensland great Allan Langer back from England for game three of the 2001 series where he played a leading role – at the advanced league age of 35 years – in their series win, and it kept ticking on his mind, as the losses piled up.
It has been seven years and 10 months since Karu reluctantly hung up the boots mid-season in 2004 for personal reasons and although he may have lost several metres in pace, the same cool, calm and collected playmaker will be in the middle of the park directing play.
His last outing in the SP Intercity Cup was as part of the premiership-winning Enga Mioks side of 2000.
Whether he is out on the paddock for short spells or a longer stretches, or it may not turn out like the Bennett-Langer story, but a little Karu inspiration is sure to lift a side struggling to find their next win.
“I’m ready. No nerves,” Karu said with a smile yesterday at Isapeas training.
“People will have their own opinions. They will expect big things or they will say that I’m finished and past it.
“But I know why I put my hand up. This is a very good team. Hopefully I can add some direction, something I know that I can contribute.
“I am not promising anything but to try my best for this team,” the former Vipers and Kumuls maestro added.
Ivaroa said that the board had given its full blessing for the five-eighth known for his exciting style.“There was no money involved, we didn’t pay him anything to come into the team.
“He is a Gulf rugby league icon and he comes in with his heart.”
“We want to restore lost pride. We want to establish an identity. Gulf has its own style of football and we want to bring that back,” Ivaroa said.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kulf

Re: Tuksi Karu in Gulf Isapeas Digicel Cup

May 17 2012, 2:57 PM 

Karu e, I like ta sound of tat. Tats my poi. Ko Kulf Isapeas!!!!!

;)

Respond to this message   
iara

May 17 2012, 3:04 PM 

Mi need lo sta lo PRL this Sunday lo watchim Tuksi. This is history! Allan Langer did it when he was 31 but Tuksi is 40 yrs old!

Respond to this message   
SAKSAK

May 17 2012, 3:56 PM 

nogut ol karim em kam out long first hit ya. lapun pinis

Respond to this message   
Tuksy Like Somare

Fight On brata

May 18 2012, 10:00 AM 

Tuksy,

Somare is contesting for ESP and he will win according to the Sepiks. I guess Tuksy will do the same for Isapea, well according to the Kulfs.

Man yah lapun yah. maski, bring in some young, tall, fast and smart Kerema 5/8 to play in the position, sapos nogat recruit Stanley Hondina to do the job. Catch ball and pass, no body contact.

Tuksy is a great player, have high respect for him, but I saw him play in Goroka 4 years ago for a local club, he was too slow.

After 4 years, do you get any faster with age?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Tuksi Karu in Gulf Isapeas Digicel Cup
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to PNG Sports Forum