Return to Index  

GO 2004 novelties

June 10 2004 at 2:49 PM

Marcus Hanke  (Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Response to Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ - and Reference Articles on GO

How are traditions found? I think it is clear that if something is done once, this can hardly called a tradition. But is it enough to do it twice? Or must the practice have a continuity for more than a generation, even a century?

Last year, at the 2003 Basel show, Glashütte Original invited the PuristS for an exclusive presentation of the novelties for the first time. This year, this kind invitation was repeated, and I hope that historians among our readers will forgive me if I hereby define this second event as the founding of a “tradition”.

Once again, Dr. Müller and his team dedicated a lot of time and effort to make this an unforgettable afternoon for the PuristS. After expressing his warm welcome, Dr. Müller introduced this year's highlight of the new collection, the PanoMaticChrono. A more detailed peek review of this marvel has already been published earlier, and can be accessed here:

Please click here to read about the new PanoMaticChrono

The other novelties shown consisted of decent dial variants, which made the classic Senator and Karree series even more attractive to the current taste. For me, personally, this was a small triumph, since I had been bitching for new dial colours for some years already. Now, Dr. Müller showed us a breathtakingly attractive combination of a pink gold Senator with a grey dial.

Senator Panorama Moon, pink gold

Apparently, grey dials are very popular this year, and not only GO, but other prime brands, such as Patek, Ulysse Nardin, Jaeger le Coultre, and even Philippe Dufour with his "Simplicity" presented grey dial watches. The reason is quite clear: With steel or white gold cases, the classic silver or white dial looks a bit sober, some could even say, a bit boring. Black dials, on the other hand, are very sportive, and also ubiquitous now. With pink or yellow gold, however, black dials massively underline the gold, due to the contrast. What looks very attractive to one, is already flashy to the other. Consequently, a grey dial is the perfect compromise, smoothly complementing pink gold cases, while preventing steel or white gold watches from looking too elegant and stealthy.

Senator Perpetual, stainless steel

The grey dial variant will be available in summer, for all Senator variants (perpetual, panorama moon, panorama, power reserve, chronograph) and for steel and gold cases.

Another striking sight was a Senator perpetual, featuring a wonderful metallic blue dial. However, this one is exclusively available in a limited edition with platinum cases, sorry.

Left: Limited edition platinum Senator perpetual with blue galvanized dial; middle: pink gold PanoRetroGraph, with black/silver dial; right: pink gold Senator perpetual with grey dial

There were other prototypes shown by Dr. Müller, one of them with a salmon dial, similar to those of the early 1845 series. Yet since it was uncertain if this one would ever enter production, he asked us not to take pictures of it, and of course we complied.

The (unlimited) PanoRetroGraph in pink gold is now available with the beautiful black/silver dial, that originally was only used by the limited platinum PanoGraph.

Finally, I was happy to see that also the Karree series received a cosmetic upgrade, which proved that there were no intentions to discontinue this beautiful line.

The Karree perpetual sported a two-tone grey dial, while the hand winding 1845 Karree had a beautiful black and white dial, with silver subdial for the small second, and silver Breguet numerals - absolutely stunning!

Automatic Karree Perpetual with two-tone grey dial

Handwinding 1845 Karree small second, with black/white dial

Afterwards, Dr. Müller made it clear that he took the new tradition very serious: Just as last year, he invited us for a wonderful dinner in one of Basel's best restaurant, the "Charon". Together with some colleagues from other online fora, we had the whole restaurant for ourselves, since it had been exclusively reserved for Glashütte Original on that evening. As you can imagine, the conversation was very busy, and it was difficult to stop talking long enough in order to appreciate the first class menu, which was accompanied by a most excellent selection of fine wines.

During the dinner, we were also entertained by a young magician, who performed his absolutely astonishing tricks at our tables. When some of us had a short break outside the restaurant, just to breath some fresh air, he showed us several of his card tricks. And even if we did everything to come behind the secrets, we did not succeed. Thank God, however, the nice watches shown before had not been tricks, they were all very real - and wonderful.

We are looking forward to continue this newly started tradition next year, and express our sincerest thanks to Dr. Müller and his great team, for their time and hospitality.

Marcus

This message has been edited by mhanke on Sep 21, 2004 11:10 AM

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page