Return to Index  

Am I being way too picky a buyer???

September 25 2011 at 1:13 AM
  (Login smah)
from IP address 218.103.136.176

Some opinions please, or perhaps some folks here can point me in the right direction on how to proceed in my quest.
I have been reading on this forum for years, not really posting because I don't own a Rolex, but I respect the brand.
I appreciate the knowledge that the forum members openly share; for this I say thanks to all.

I want badly to buy a vintage piece within my means but I am not willing to throw my money down on the first pretty girl I see.
I try to ask pertinent questions from sellers about the specific piece that they are offering for sale. I ask about originality, parts that have been replaced, the bracelet, service history, performance specs....to their knowledge. If they don't know, fine.
Just recently I asked a well-known dealer horizontal amplitude and vertical amplitude drop on a Submariner he was selling.
I asked if the bezel insert had been changed. I asked about average rate. The response I got? "You ask too many questions, anyways the watch has been sold."

Really. Do you agree? Do you guys ask similar questions, or just slap down the green when you see what you think is legit.
I believe that the more information, the better...especially since some of the pieces come close to the prices of cars and boats. Maybe I expect my blood money to buy me something I should know something about and be proud of owning.
Problem is, most sellers don't bother to answer my questions and are looking for a quick turn-around with as few questions as possible.
If I were in this business, I'd pony up 2K for a Witschi II and tape printer and some tools and call it a fixed cost.
The added value to a buyer/seller relationship is immeasurable, and sure to be happily offset in the price he is willing to pay for the piece of mind gained. This is why I don't own a vintage Rolex yet, and at this rate, I'm not sure when I will.

Thanks-
Steve

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014