Return to Index  

OT: I only gone & done it!!

October 10 2011 at 4:52 AM
Mike Wood  (Login mikewood)
VRF Contributing Member
from IP address 95.148.78.210

Thank you for all the big-ups and support ahead of the Liverpool Marathon yesterday... I made it all the way to the end of my first marathon, and was very pleased with my time of just under 4 hours 39 minutes for the 26.2 mile course!

For the benefit of my very generous sponsors, here's the photographic evidence!!

09:22am, and full of nervous energy!

[linked image]

09:28am heading in to the starting pens, with 7,000 other runners!

[linked image]

09:29am, with 42 kilometres to go!

[linked image]

10:20am - 50 minutes late due to Police delaying the start sad.gif but then we were away!

[linked image]

Entering the Queensway Tunnel in Birkenhead (where they filmed Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!), one of the two tunnels which goes under the River Mersey

[linked image]

And emerging from the Tunnel in Liverpool, after crossing the 13.1 mile half-way point

[linked image]

The course ran past the historic Albert Docks on Liverpool's famous River Mersey water-front, and the cold drizzly rain set in...

[linked image]

The sight of the iconic Liver Building (one of the "Three Graces" on Liverpool's water front at the Pier Head) lifted my spirits as the end of the run approached

[linked image]

And after nearly 4 hours and 40 minutes, the last few hundred yards

[linked image]

and the

[linked image]

My hard-earned finisher's medal, and the actual time I recorded (which tallies with the official timers), and me staggering past 14 miles. My GPS cut a few hundred metres off my distance whilst I was running through the tunnel.

[linked image]

It was a fantastic day, with great support from massive crowds who turned out to cheer us on, and the helpers who kept us hydrated with drinks stations along the route.

The winning time was 2 hours 35 minutes, and the final stragglers came in around 7 hours. My official position was 3,003, I hope not too bad for a first (and last!) marathon attempt. Never has a cold beer and a hot Indian curry tasted so good afterwards!!

Thank you to everyone who supported me, and generously donated funds which I will divide equally between my three chosen charities: Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Cancer Research, and Help for Heroes. You kept me going as my strength started sapping away on the last 10 miles... cheers!

Mike Wood

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014