Return to Index  

Nikkos, You are entitled to your opinion..

October 18 2011 at 2:30 PM
Beever.  (Login Beever.)
from IP address 108.54.75.193

Response to Re: difference in 5 vs. 6 hole papers...

There will never be a definitive answer to all of this I am afraid. I do have a friend of mine who is/was a Rolex Dealer for 30 years who has about 200 certs in his hands from all of the watches he has had over the years and still has the papers, for whatever reason.

Some of them were misplaced and found, others were traded in against new watches. In any case, I am waiting to get my hands on them and try and catalog and photograph them to see if certain certs had 5 dots or 6 dots, US, European etc..

In the end, I have said that I think that 95% or more of the 5 dot papers are phoney and that a great many of them are punched OUTSIDE of the register box when they were supposed to be INSIDE the box. We are all under the assumption that 20,30 or even 40 years ago that people were drunk or stupid and only now we have the technology to get punched numbers squarely inside a box. That is BS, the machines had templates and they punched squarely in that box.

There were MILLIONS of Rolex'es produced with punched papers in the 70's and 80's and I highly doubt that so many of them are punched outside of the box. I also find it odd that so many of the "out of register" punches are of the 5 dot variety and even more of the 5 dot variety are not stamped or dated by the Jeweler.

I have drawn my own conclusions on all of this and everyone is entitled to draw their own. I will not purchase a 5 dot cert on any watch I am looking to buy and if I do I will be certain it is backed up with something else. I will not give a 5 dot cert any added value as I will deem it worthless, like a box sticker or chrono hang tag. I am not saying that NO 5 dots exist, just so few that it would be safer to pass on a 5 dot than pay a premium for one.

Thats my position on it.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017