Return to Index  

What is the most durable, strongest Rolex, and just

December 17 2011 at 12:55 PM

John Ireland  (Login figcar)
VRF Member
from IP address 69.235.128.223

how durable and strong is it really...in terms of G forces? And how do other watches compare? I've read the book "Every Rolex tells a Story" and I remember the story about the Sub or GMT that fell 75 feet off the tail of a jet, etc., etc.

The origins of this question go back to 2000-2001 when I had just bought a very nice 18k 6305. A group of us were talking watches and one of the fellows pulled out his new Chase-Durer and said "look at this?" With that he took off the watch, held it in his hand and gave in a violent smack on a table on the side opposite the winding crown. He then turned it so we could see through the saphire case back that the rotor for the movement was flying around and around. When it came to a stop we could all see the watch was still working fine. So one of us said, "can I try that?" The guy handed him his watch and this guy smacked it down even harder. Now the spinning rotor was a complete blur. I asked to see the watch and I gave it a shake to see if I could feel anything loose. Gazing through the saphire back everything looked just fine. He invited me to give it a smack...and I did...though not as hard as the first two.

So, realizing we have a lot of "rare and valuable" sport watches among our members...are there any mechanical Rolexes, old or new, that you would try this with if you owned it? How about with a Big Bang or a Panerai or Breitling or Bell and Ross or an Omega whateverMaster? If none of these more expensive watches are as strong...are they just jewelery pretending to be a tool? What made the C-D so strong?

John Ireland

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014