Return to Index  

Even James had problems with Pussy Galore......

February 12 2012 at 1:15 AM
(Login Bjsonline)
from IP address 217.155.18.206

When purchasing the Pussy Galore GMT 6542 I did not even consider the "exclamation" mark at 6 oclock. For me the watch had everything that i look for in a vintage Rolex. Provenance, New to the market (not passed from dealer to dealer), 10/10 dial, and an honest watch. Case back 11 1958. I even bought it without examining the movement because I was 100 percent sure it would be correct. Guys pls do not do this, never buy a watch without opening the case back to examine the movement.

Then suddenly a storm brewed over a dot. I had to read some of the hostile posts twice as even I started to have doubts. These doubts lasted only a moment. Did I make a mistake? And an error for all to see? No chance.

The internet is a wonderful tool, and the references and post found were perfect and some troublesome.

Let me try and explain. Troublesome because a few of the so called self proclaimed experts had actually proclaimed this version of the Pussy Galore GMT 6542 a fake, and have forced and overpowered buyers to pass on such a watch. A little knowlwedge is a dangerous tool. Perfect because a found a post on another forum on a similar GMT but with paperwork.

Minor details such as underlines etc on Vintage Rolex are exciting but I would not consider an "exclamation" mark to be in the same catogary. And walking around with a gieger counter, oh please.

5th June 1958 says it all. The buyer was on the edge of rejecting the watch but had better sense than most. He also goes on to say and i quote, "Going deeper in my researches, I found 2 other with an exclamation dot from 1957, and 2 from 1958. So, this one is the 5th I see coming with this configuration."

So in terms of rarity, these dial configuration is up there, and in terms of looks, its the best one to have.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014