Return to Index  

+1. I was going to post about this yesterday but..

February 20 2012 at 4:01 AM

(Login davemcdus)
VRF Member
from IP address 208.120.255.219

Response to For me it is all about the watch >

didn't want to come off as a newer guy starting trouble! For me the watch is the thing that matters. If it comes with a box or papers that's great, but they're not worth more than a very small premium in my view. I'd rather have current service records than an original guarantee paper. I often wonder if there weren't the sort of a priori notion amongst vintage Rolex people that these papers, etc. elevate the virginal aura of a particular watch, if the accessories in question would really add that much value to a set? As someone who has come into collecting these watches in the era of eBay and online markets, they don't mean that much because they're easy to get and that of course brings into question the originality of a full set. I'm curious about the opinions of people who starting collecting in the pre-internet days who have assigned a heightened value to these accessories. Do they mean less now that you can find them with a few clicks instead of having to travel far and wide to trade with other collectors?

I totally agree it's fun to restore correct hands, parts, etc. And of course to go out and find the accessories if you can. I do it and I enjoy bringing my watch closer to it's 1967 self than it was when I got it. My question is really about the hyper-inflated value of "full sets" and whether or not they mean what they once did to you guys.

Respond to this message   

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014