Return to Index  

Counterfeit 1016 Case Back - Your Opinion Please

June 17 2012 at 9:02 AM
Dean Vidal  (Login DeanVNYC)
from IP address 69.203.70.79

hey guys, i'm selling a 1016 case back on ebay that someone is claiming is counterfeit. since you guys know more about vintage rolex, than rolex themselves, for peace of mind, would please look at the picture below and tell me your opinion.

if he is right i will cancel the auction and throw the item away. the first picture is the back in question. below is my argument for why i believe he is wrong as well as several pictures of backs from other watches i have owned over the years from this time period. i greatly appreciate your help.

the gentleman claims that the lettering is not pressure stamped. as you can see from the close-up, the lettering is pressure stamped and matches the lettering in the other backs (please see the red circle I have drawn around the lettering 1016.) also, I have circled the letters RE in the word MONTRES for comparison. Please note that the lower right corner of the letter R does not extend as low as the lower left corner of the letter E which follows. also please note that the lower part of the front of the letter R just barely comes in contact with the letter E. This is the same for all these backs. the one inconsistency with this back is the date code which appears to be engraved, not pressure stamped. but i've seen this on a lot of other backs from the 50s and early 60s. maybe rolex engraved the date stamp on earlier back and pressure stamped them in the late 60s/early 70s. this is obviously a self-serving hypothesis.

thanks again for your help.

as a side note this is same gentleman who bought a 1016 back from me last month on ebay and claimed it was counterfeit (the seecond picture is back he bought). paypal asked him to send me the back and they would give him a refund. he stated that he could not return the back because shipping companies will not accept counterfeit items for shipment. so he got to keep the back and get a refund. i was fortunate enough to appeal after getting a letter of authenticity and get a full refund.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014