Return to Index  

1016 gilt dial Explorer - any experts?

June 17 2012 at 10:38 AM
Mark McArthur-Christie  (Login The_other_MMC)
from IP address 86.149.67.197

Im trying to find out a bit more about my 1964 1016 Exp I. I bought it about 18mths ago but have managed to find out relatively little about it. Thought this might be a good place to start!

I've had a read around the forum and there's a fair bit on here. But can anyone add any more?

[linked image]

It has a gilt dial with a closed minute track and a dot at 6 on the dial (Ive seen a couple of 1016s where thats been mentioned as important). Inside is a 1560 movement.

[linked image]

(Thanks to Martyn for the movement pic!)

The history of 1016s is pretty convoluted and, although Ive done a fair bit of reading up (mostly Skeet & UrülIs splendid book) I cant find out a great deal about gilt dial 1016s.

The dials are remarkable. The gloss to them reminds me of the paintwork on a well-loved vintage Bentley.

[linked image]

Does anyone know much about these or have a web source I can look at?

[linked image]

I dont wear this one as much as I should, but its time it made a few more excursions from the watch box!

Thanks!

Mark happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Responses

Tweet

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2016