Return to Index  

1016 gilt dial Explorer - any experts?

June 17 2012 at 10:38 AM
  (Login The_other_MMC)
from IP address 86.149.67.197

Im trying to find out a bit more about my 1964 1016 Exp I. I bought it about 18mths ago but have managed to find out relatively little about it. Thought this might be a good place to start!

I've had a read around the forum and there's a fair bit on here. But can anyone add any more?

[linked image]

It has a gilt dial with a closed minute track and a dot at 6 on the dial (Ive seen a couple of 1016s where thats been mentioned as important). Inside is a 1560 movement.

[linked image]

(Thanks to Martyn for the movement pic!)

The history of 1016s is pretty convoluted and, although Ive done a fair bit of reading up (mostly Skeet & UrülIs splendid book) I cant find out a great deal about gilt dial 1016s.

The dials are remarkable. The gloss to them reminds me of the paintwork on a well-loved vintage Bentley.

[linked image]

Does anyone know much about these or have a web source I can look at?

[linked image]

I dont wear this one as much as I should, but its time it made a few more excursions from the watch box!

Thanks!

Mark happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014