Cyclops buster - I hate them with a vengeance - What is the forum's opinion? >June 27 2012 at 12:13 AM
Steve.P (Login 2wsxcde3)
from IP address 22.214.171.124
I've never liked the date cyclops on any plastic model watches - except the unique Homeplate version which also sits nice and evenly at 6.
Being so far from the dial they are obstructive to date viewing unless you're looking directly on - they hardly magnify at all and the worst of it is they totally spoil the symmetrical look of the dial. Whenever possible I'll always replace with a much cleaner looking dome; after all it's always reversible in a couple of minutes.
But with this awkward bloody date model here I've not been able to find a suitable option change so have fallen back on the very last and most brutal irreversible action.
I took it to my watchmaker who chiseled it off and polished the plexi clean in a couple of minutes while I drank my morning tea in his shop. It was so quick and easy he didn't even bother to charge me a dime:
This can be done with absolutely any plastic date model you cannot find the smooth and clean look that you seek. Having your own guy you trust is a must that goes without saying of course.
Maybe not for everyone and possibly even offensive to some - I personally think the result is worth while.
I am interested to know what the forum thinks of this very typical and instantly recognisable Rolex feature?
Some before and afters
- With you on that Steve..... - Ross Povey on Jun 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
- I love the no cyclops look. It's a much cleaner look. - Jt on Jun 27, 2012, 12:54 AM
- I've always liked the cyclops...once again Rolex came - John Ireland on Jun 27, 2012, 12:56 AM
- Steven you are 100% right and I am with you Buddy ;o) - ag on Jun 27, 2012, 1:42 AM
- I like the absence of the cyclops especially - Hans on Jun 27, 2012, 2:25 AM
- I've grown to appreciate it, but looks good without as well... - belligero on Jun 27, 2012, 3:49 AM
- No cyclops for me too. - Speedy on Jun 27, 2012, 3:57 AM
- With you on this one Steve... - Kevin on Jun 27, 2012, 4:09 AM
- Voila... - Kevin on Jun 27, 2012, 7:12 AM
- I completely agree Steve >> - IanT on Jun 27, 2012, 5:20 AM
- Who am I to second guess Wilsdorf and Jeanneret?>>> - tomvox1 on Jun 27, 2012, 9:04 AM
- Well, I like the look much better - michaelmcc on Jun 27, 2012, 9:40 AM
- You'll probably change your mind when you get older and your eyes get weaker - Arturo ORTIZ on Jun 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
- OK - so can they be removed from saphire crystals? If so how? - Al on Jun 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
- Interesting post, Steve. I like both ways.... - Florian on Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
- Another top notch thread! Thanks Steve :-) NT - Lunette Verde on Jun 28, 2012, 2:00 AM
- IMO, the dress watch looks classier without it - but I like it on other watches - Arvid on Jun 28, 2012, 8:35 AM