"Jingle Jangle"... good ol' Sir Jimmy Savile!July 31 2012 at 3:00 PM
|Mike Wood (Login mikewood)|
VRF Contributing Member
from IP address 184.108.40.206
The personal effects of the eccentric English celebrity radio DJ, TV presenter, and charity fund raiser, Sir Jimmy Savile, were sold at auction yesterda in his home town of Leeds, after he died recently, aged 84.
The larger-than-life cigar-smoking Jimmy ran over 200 marathons, raised over £40 million for charity. Many of us Brits grew up watching Jimmy's hit tv show "Jim'll fix it" and listening to him on the radio.
He was the original British "Mr Bling"; wearing a diamond (after-market!) encrusted Rolex, big jangling gold curb bracelet, loud clothes, and driving extravagant cars.
His final charitable legacy was to leave his personal effects to good causes, and nearly 550 lots were sold at a packed auction. I went to the preview before the sale to see some of the items for myself.
Jimmy's famous Rolex, estimated at £8,000-12,000
Sold for £30,000 (+26% commission)!
His diamond set curb bracelet, estimated at £6,000-8,000
Sold for £10,000 (+26%).
The famous TV prop "Jim'll fix it" armchair
Brought £8,500 (+26%).
"The Beast", Jimmy's 2003 Rolls Royce "Last of Line" convertible, with just 4,400 miles, was estimated at £60,000-90,000
After fierce bidding, the hammer came down at £130,000 (+26%).
And my favourite: Jimmy's (owned from new!) 1965 BMW Isetta, estimated at £5,000-8,000
Sold for £22,000 (+26%).
All proceeds will go to charity, with hundreds of thousands of pounds raised.
Sadly, I came away empty handed on the items which interested me, but God bless you Sir Jimmy!!
- love the Isetta :-) - jatucka (rob) on Jul 31, 2012, 4:25 PM
- A very unique guy..... - Ashley B. on Jul 31, 2012, 4:47 PM
- Loks like you had a good day out and about - fatboyharris on Jul 31, 2012, 11:49 PM
- Mate, I'm a little disappointed you didn't get..... - Ross Povey on Aug 1, 2012, 12:28 AM
- Funny to see all the stuff they tried to sell - Mark020 on Aug 1, 2012, 1:53 AM
- BMW - JRB on Aug 1, 2012, 1:54 AM
- When Jimmy met Louis > - Steve.P on Aug 1, 2012, 4:37 AM