Return to Index  

Vintage Servicing in Washington, DC?

August 22 2012 at 5:56 AM
Paul  (Login Submariner2009)
from IP address 50.76.8.230

Hello--

I just acquired a new obsession--a 1969 1005.

Not a unique or rare watch I realize, but it came with all of the original paperwork, down to the sales receipt from the PX in West Germany from 1969, the strings on the hangtags and everything in between (punched papers, cigarette card, all boxes and inserts, etc).

The best part is I was able to buy it directly from the original owner and meet him--he purchased it in 1969, wore it for three years and then after cracking the crystal, put it back into the box and left it in a safe deposit box while he traveled the world because he didn't want it damaged. That was in 1972 and was sitting there until this month. He's retiring now so decided its time to let it go.

The watch is literally untouched, the paperwork pristine--I think I can legitimately say unpolished because he assures me it never was--he had the movement oiled in 1972 and that's it. It's still running strong but clearly in need of some TLC. The crystal has a crack and is scratched up quite a bit, in particular.

I've had great recommendations for servicing options on the West Coast but wondered if anyone has found someone they trust in the Washington, DC area. I'd love to witness it opened first-hand and be a part of the experience, so-to-speak. There's an AD here that I may go speak to but welcome other recommendations.

I'll post some pix soon.

Best,
Paul

PS I owe thanks to several members who provided me with some good counsel as I was considering this purchase--a lot of knowledgeable folks here and real gentlemen. Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014