Return to Index  

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive

December 5 2017 at 10:04 PM
Karl  (Login OysterCollector)
VRF Member
from IP address 118.210.136.69

Response to Personally, I can’t see any appeal in wearing a cheap watch.

The price of the item is not always refective of the quality.

In horology, we have very expensive watches that are still cheap in quality. I have two watches on my work bench; both a Tissot and a Tag Heuer. They are both in quality stainless steel cases, with the same eta quartz module costing approximately $45 trade. Both have rotating bezels with a screw down crown and of same water resistant capacity. There is nothing wrong with neither of them but in need of a new battery and pressure testing.

The DIFFERENCE is the price tag, where one is over $3000 and the other $500. Without declaring which is which, I guess you can all work out which one had the higher price TAG (excuse the pun). You could say that the $500 timepiece is cheap and should be avoided, but the $3000 one is appealing because you are paying more so you believe to get a lot more for your money. In my opinion they are either; both junk or both good, depending on which angle you look at. Now, if you are buying a lower end Rolex for $3000, then this is different as it is all inhouse with a mechanical module which is of course more expensive. I cannot justify paying $3000 for one of those watches sitting on my work bench. That is very inferior quality for the price you pay, but definitely NOT cheap!!!. I could build a generic clone of the same for just under for $200. Surely if Seiko had 4 digit price tags, then they would not be looked at as cheap or inexpensive.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017