Return to Index  

What attracted me to the $80 Seiko

December 6 2017 at 4:12 PM
John Ireland  (Login ffigcar)
VRF Moderator
from IP address 104.35.110.199

Response to The $80 mechanical watch vs my Rolex 1018

First, the article in WSJ opened my eye to the fact that good inexpensive mechanical watches are still being made. Of the three watches in the article, both the looks and Seiko's reputation (an older watch making company than Rolex) made me chose it. For the money it was an experiment. I know there are lots of quartz watches for the same money but a mechanical watch at that price caught my imagination. Hanging over my desk is an old Bulova and a Lord Elgin, both from the fifties. I keep them because I'm not sure anyone else would want them. Certainly not big buck haut horology by today's standards.

When I got the $80 Seiko a sticker on the watch band indicated that the original retail price was $200. This was obviously NOS clearance. I looked at the other Seiko offerings in this discount arena and selected this one because of the size. It actually gives me what my other field watch doesn't...the movement. The other watch is an Eddie Bauer quartz analog piece made in France...and found by me in the gutter by the side of the road. For me almost any watch worth saving so a new battery and strap and now it hangs over my desk with the Bulova and the Lord Elgin.

But the Seiko for me is a real watch...a mechanical watch. That it was made in Malaysia by people who work hard and don't get paid a fortune...well buying it also gave me a chance to show them my respect for their efforts.

And one of the best things about it...it isn't worth enough to ever sell. (How I miss the two Rolexes that disappeared into a Porsche.) So here it is...keeping great time...a nice looking well made watch...and great value for the money. At night it sits by the bed, the luminous hands and markers glowing in the dark just incase I need to know what time it is. On my wrist is one of my two Rolexes from the 1960s...the luminous material long since dead.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017