Return to Index  

Re: agreed, and here's my opinion on value

January 7 2018 at 1:27 PM
Ditto most of the above  (Login dynhm6)
VRF Member
from IP address

Response to agreed, and here's my opinion on value

Perusing your photos, before reading any of the replies to your initial post, I reckoned your watch's value to be ~$20k. Of course, with collectibles, value is dependent on details not evident in your photos and what a buyer's willing to pay. However, after reading the previous two posts, presuming there're no hidden gotchas lying in the shadows, I reckon my estimate was right on the mark.

Although I'm not in the market, with a gentle cleaning (not polishing!) and good, thorough service overhaul to insure the timepiece is well-regulated, I think you've got a nice piece. How much a clean-up will affect the watch's subsequent value depends on how much of the grime and muck is safely removable (without changing the watch's natural patina or character) and how well the movement runs. But, either way, were it mine, I'd have it sorted-out if for no other reason than to retard any damage that may be occurring due to leaks (that allow dust ingress into the case), internal grime, lack of lubrication or mal-adjustment.

As others've suggested, if possible, I'd keep the watch in the family and enjoy it. If you decide to wear it (I would), I'd swap the OEM bezel insert for a metal or aftermarket part to preclude further damage/loss.

Good luck and congratulations on a nice find!

Respond to this message   

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017