Return to Index  

If it helps ...

January 31 2018 at 11:02 AM
Paul  (Login GMTKiwi)
VRF Member
from IP address 210.86.80.33

Response to Someone could help please ;)

Hi David,

The mini GMT hand era for Rolex was very short. All the 6542s' (gilt hand sets on some very early ones), the PCG 1675s and just a few of the earliest matte dial 1675s.

And cos the time-frame for the mini-GMT hands was so short, I might wonder if Rolex-issued tritium service sets were even a thing. I guess Rolex had spares for any watches that needed replacement hands soon after being issued, but I'm thinking that the large GMT hands were being used as service items fairly early on.

The hands you've shown .... just one simple pic but I think I'm seeing a curved profile on the hour hand and perhaps the minute hand too. That suggests to me service hands at best cos curved hands came in a few years after the mini GMT hand era. So, I'd tag the hands you've shown as service hands at best and would note that a mini GMT hand and a curved hour and minute hand are something of an unhappy mix for me.

And the mini GMT hand you've shown. I'm seeing that the red paint stops short of the triangle. I'd need to check on a few crusty old mini GMT hands I have to remind myself if that's a good thing or a bad thig. Just saying it's something to check. For many years, the odd profile of the triangle was an instant tell on fake mini GMT hands. I see though that some of the after-market sellers are now stating that they have an 'improved' mini GMT hand and the glaring flaw with the triangle has been rectified. Simply put, the gap between genuine and fake is narrowing.

And finally, in the past year or so we're seeing a lot more 'NOS' vintage hand sets coming to market. There are certainly some good bonafide items amongst them but I'm sure there's more than a few fakees. It's concerning too that a few of the eBay sellers are mixing things up a bit now, offering no-doubts genuine items , alongside a few fakee sets. Always worth checking the seller's standing in the vintage watch community and what other offerings they have.

Good luck !

Editted for types wink.gif

This message has been edited by GMTKiwi from IP address 210.86.80.33 on Jan 31, 2018 12:45 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017