Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: As one who has owned hundreds of vintage watches
    • Carl (Login OysterCollector)
      VRF Member
      Posted Nov 27, 2011 4:38 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I welcome any information and both resopnses I have received to my post have helped answer my question. Of course pitting would be expected on vintage timepieces especially those made from stainless steel. However, I have seen vintage pieces that do not have any pitting which are offered for sale from reputable websites. For example my father's tiempiece from the late 1950's (whose brand I will refrain from mentioning) has no pitting at all and I am sure he never had any treatments done to his case ever since he had it from new. I checked under the seal and it was flawless on both the case back, case and between the lugs. Which is why I raised the question as a newbie to the timepiece collection if this bothered collectors. I will lecture metallurgy on this forum as I purely mentioned it to support my enquiry. However I am aware that the cases can be laser welded which I know is also expensive, hence compromising the value of the timepiece as responded to me to this thread prior to yours. Which of course is a turn off for me if I need to spend more money for a timepiece needing extra work which can be avoided on a similar timepiece without this problem ( in the same mechanical condition) for the same price. This would hardly be crying fire in a crowded theatre. Thank you for your response as it was very helpful.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014