Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: As one who has owned hundreds of vintage watches
    • Carl (Login OysterCollector)
      VRF Member
      Posted Nov 27, 2011 4:38 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I welcome any information and both resopnses I have received to my post have helped answer my question. Of course pitting would be expected on vintage timepieces especially those made from stainless steel. However, I have seen vintage pieces that do not have any pitting which are offered for sale from reputable websites. For example my father's tiempiece from the late 1950's (whose brand I will refrain from mentioning) has no pitting at all and I am sure he never had any treatments done to his case ever since he had it from new. I checked under the seal and it was flawless on both the case back, case and between the lugs. Which is why I raised the question as a newbie to the timepiece collection if this bothered collectors. I will lecture metallurgy on this forum as I purely mentioned it to support my enquiry. However I am aware that the cases can be laser welded which I know is also expensive, hence compromising the value of the timepiece as responded to me to this thread prior to yours. Which of course is a turn off for me if I need to spend more money for a timepiece needing extra work which can be avoided on a similar timepiece without this problem ( in the same mechanical condition) for the same price. This would hardly be crying fire in a crowded theatre. Thank you for your response as it was very helpful.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.