Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Perhaps one of the earliest Tudor Autos>>>
    • (Login tomvox1)
      VRF Dial Archive Curator
      Posted Dec 5, 2011 8:09 PM

Got an email from a nice fellow who wanted some info on an old watch, which his father acquired at some point in the 1950s while in the RAF.

Here are the pictures he sent me:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

It occurs to me that this might be one of the earlier Tudors produced under their own badge and marque, with Rose dial but the term "Prince" not yet established.

At this point in time, it is a bit murky with Tudor serial numbers, but a 39,k serial might correspond to late 1940s/early 1950s production. That would predate this wonderful ad launching Tudor as Rolex's official subsidiary brand in 1952...

WilsdorfTudorAd-1.jpg

...straight from the horse's mouth, if you will. wink.gif

But the watch owned by the son of the first owner and pictured above might represent the maiden voyage of Tudor proper a few years prior to the actual launch of the fully realized Montres Tudor "Oyster Prince" in 1952, maybe even a Beta test of sorts.

It could be that Mr. Wilsdorf was waiting for a reasonably priced 3rd party-manufactured full rotor movement to become available to him before making his big announcement in magazines and papers. Because if you Google "Tudor ref. 951" you will find one or two movement shots like these:

[linked image]

That's right, a bumper autowind movement!* happy.gif

Maybe Rolex was hoisted on its own patent petard and had to wait for their own exclusive patents on full rotor winding to expire before they could launch their more reasonably priced secondary brand with the contracted out "Rotor Self-Winding" movement that Mr. Wilsdorf envisioned?

Whatever the facts of the matter may be, I found this to be an interesting watch from a very interesting time in Rolex's post-World War II corporate evolution.
      Best,
      T.

*A similar bumper Tudor with 18k case and a horrible redial can be found in Dowling & Hess's Best of Time, 2nd Ed. on page 337 in the "Oddities" chapter. wink.gif

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014