Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Aesthetically I like them, but...
    • Dave (Login davemcdus)
      VRF Member
      Posted Aug 9, 2012 2:21 PM

The fact that there's a premium put on them seems silly to me. This is heightened by the fact that when I got into vintage watches about a year ago, the very first blog article I read online was on how to "age" your bezel insert. To me it's the same thing as paying extra for a watch with papers. It seems widely known that there are genuine "open" papers that can be easily punched and are good enough to fool even some who've been around for a while, and it's equally well known that genuine bezel inserts can be quickly aged. I suppose the bezel inserts aren't as close to fraud as the papers are, but either way I'd never pay the extra dough for a watch that had either.
      As someone who is relatively new to this hobby and who still lacks the experience and expertise to spot every shady item, I suppose I'm the ideal target for these things, and that certainly gives one pause when considering a purchase. But I don't see how you guys could regulate it, as it seems hard to prove what's really legit since things age differently.
      My only suggestion might be to put a "sticky" at the top of the market page, suggesting that new buyers take the time to read up on whatever item they're interested in finding, and suggesting they post it in the main forum for review by more experienced forum users. Maybe even a glossary detailing some common terminology, since it's obvious that a lot of really new people shop on the market page without ever using the forum.. That would seem to be a solid way of trying to protect everyone while at the same time deterring sellers from offering suspicious goods. On the other hand, maybe the veteran members would feel something like that would be hurtful to the status of the forum. Dunno, just my 2 cents. You guys who run this forum are awesome though, thanks!
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014