Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Authenticity Question on 2 Tone 1680
    • (Login GP-Pirate)
      Posted Aug 17, 2012 6:09 PM

Hello all -

A couple of days ago I posted a question about a steel and gold 1680 that I purchased new from an AD in 1980. The AD stated that it was a special/custom order by a customer who later backed out of the sale. I have the all the orignal boxes and paperwork, including the punched warranty card. It was purchased at a Baily Banks & Biddle store that has since closed. I have emailed corp headquaters to see if they have the orignal invoice from Rolex and am awaiting response.

The consensus from members overall was that a true custom 2 tone 1680 was relatively unheard of, and that all known examples were found to be conversions.

A couple of members suggested looking at the inside of the caseback since true customs have the ser # engraved there. I have since taken their advice and have attached pics of what I found, along with other pics of the watch. The watch has been serviced at a Rolex service center twice. I contacted them but they said they do not have records on the original build, although their policy is that they will only service watches that are in the same confiuration as when shipped.

Please share any thoughts you have on the authenticity of this piece.

Thanks fo much for any help.

Glenn
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.