<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

AQ - Steve McQueen 5512

May 11 2009 at 10:53 AM

Boom Dale Vito  (Login dalevito)
VRF Member
from IP address 94.208.122.52

Thanks to the dutch forum dezinvanluxe.nl I saw the preview on TZ for the june 11th AQ-action... And wow, 2 McQueen originals: the Monaco and the 5512!

photo's per tz

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I'll leave the originality-check to the experts, but hey.. way cool!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Reintitan
(Login Durable2)
VRF Member

Could it be an early Luminova replacement dial on the 5512 >>>

May 11 2009, 11:08 AM 

The early Luminova replacement dials still said "SWISS-T < 25" on the bottom.

Respond to this message   
pam lover
(Login mingwen)

replacement dial for 5512?

May 11 2009, 10:57 PM 

how could u tell its a luminova dial?

Respond to this message   

David D
(Login avantnoire)
VRF Contributing Member

This is the fourth McQueen Monaco to surface.

May 11 2009, 11:28 AM 

The watch he wore during the filming now is in the museum that TagHeuer has in Switzerland, a watch I owned for a couple of years. The second is one he used for press shoots..that watch is in a private collection in Italy..the third changed hands last year at an auction in Italy IIRC, and now this one..
Watches 1 and 2 both came with authentication papers from the property master of the movie, not sure what accompanied #3..
Cheers,
David
[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   

John Ireland
(Login figcar)
VRF Member

So if I understand...the Sub is not a

May 11 2009, 4:23 PM 

watch McQueen actually wore, it is just the same model number as one he wore in photographs. And the Monaco is also not really one of McQueen's own watches, but an undocumented watch just like the one the Prop Dept. gave him to wear at publicity events.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of "celebrity provenance" I'd be willing to pay a premium for. It feels more like product placement hype rather than genuine links to a legendary figure.

It certainly isn't the same as the PN Daytona models which Newman used for years and years, and the sub dials of which had significant improved legibility over the standard sub dials...that greater readability important during auto races. And I personally wouldn't pay a premium for a PN either, unless it was one of Newman's own personal watches.

John Ireland

Respond to this message   
Lazzarin
(Login Lazzarin)

This may have been McQueens

May 11 2009, 8:23 PM 

If I understand the timezone article, this 5512 was owned by Steve McQueen and he left it to his friend Jimmy Brucker. It supposedly is a 1967 5512 and appears to have had a later dial. It does have the correct rivet band (narrower center links) as seen in all the McQueen photos. I would like to see real documentation that it did belong to McQueen. I wonder if Chad, his son, agrees.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017