<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bizar 'damaged' dial.........

August 20 2009 at 4:45 AM

Philipp  (Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member
from IP address 86.82.38.226

It's not everybody's cup of tea and before the NY gang commend this damaged dial as 'shitage', I honestly have to say that I kinda like this 'one of a kind' combination wink.gif

[linked image]

Rgrds.P

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
tuscanyrose
(Login tuscanyrose)
VRF Contributing Member

no shitage here, it is a nice OCC service dial in a bakalite!

August 20 2009, 5:00 AM 

we NYC people are kind and sweet, P!!!

This message has been edited by tuscanyrose from IP address 68.193.39.181 on Aug 20, 2009 5:44 AM

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

LOL John!....

August 20 2009, 5:02 AM 

Love you too wink.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
tuscanyrose
(Login tuscanyrose)
VRF Contributing Member

see??? it all depends on the lighting and camera-work!

August 20 2009, 5:44 AM 

lol

Respond to this message   

Rigby
(Login Rigbot)
VRF Member

Why do you call it a service dial?

August 20 2009, 6:03 AM 

Is it because of the white looking print? It says "swiss" only, so I am betting it is original and the gilt is just very light.

-Rigby

Respond to this message   
tuscanyrose
(Login tuscanyrose)
VRF Contributing Member

Good point, Joel. Hmmm, I would have to see it up close but it just looks like a...

August 20 2009, 6:14 AM 

black service dial. the lume seems to be that of a swiss OCC service dial, but I could be wrong. PS, is this a gilt or service dial?

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Lol again...wheren't you appointed by Patrizzi as quality controler? ;-))......

August 20 2009, 6:42 AM 

Simple rule John, to me a service dial never has a SWISS only print.

When a dial has been changed with Rolex before 1962 they would have used an old stock, radium swiss dial. After 1963 when tritium <25 came as international rule we see the usual Swiss T<25 but with this particulair 'Rainforest' lol-dial.. <br>
Imho the indexes are relumed long ago maybe even by Rolex.Lumes doesn't fit perfectly in the lines printed on the dial and geiger just told me it's tritium, so about that you're right ;- )

Here a close up of an rare early gilt 6200 service dial with an T added after Swiss...Rolex logo was having the small print instead of the usual big one....
[linked image]

rgrds.P

Respond to this message   
tuscanyrose
(Login tuscanyrose)
VRF Contributing Member

I believe there are service dials with swiss only? I am leaving in a bit...

August 20 2009, 7:11 AM 

but I will check through my photos when I return and see.
I distinctly remember a swiss OCC service dial for 6542 in my archives. Not to say your dial is that, I could not tell and agree it is a gilt if you tell me as you have the watch in your hand.
I happen to like the dial in yuor watch. it is really nice and even and has beautiful lume.

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

You can look as long as you want but to me there are no servicedials with SWISS around...

August 20 2009, 8:39 AM 

We see from '63 the underline dials with still the SWISS print having a tritium lume that's less then new standard T<25 mSV, these are used for service in transitional time as we know that underline 6538's Big Crowns are around. But then these dials also have a different crown then original radium ones. <br>
But John how could you otherwise 'see in your archive' that's a service dial when it's printed with swiss only??Early once also used silver print, only way to know is then measure the radiation with a geigermeter...but that, you don't see but have to do...first analysing the indexes if it's relumed or not.

I think you're off in this John... Enjoy your holiday!

rgrds.P

Respond to this message   

Detlev
(Login Detlev333)
VRF Member

Lumi servicedials are "Swiss"! LOL!

August 20 2009, 11:13 AM 

Just joking of course my friend, you are absolutly right about there not being "Swiss" gilt service dials around.
Unless a deadstock, radium dial was used to replace the same or similar dial ( like two colour gilt rad dials showing up in early gilt subs from say 56) but these can hardly be called service dials because they were not delivered to SC's as such.
The change from rad to trit is always acompanied by the T or t25 signature at the bottom of the dial
I simply don't think there is an exception to the rule here contrary to so many things Rolex has done

As always just my 2cents wink.gif

Ciao,D

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

LOL very sharp remark ;-)....

August 20 2009, 11:52 AM 

&

'like two colour gilt rad dials showing up in early gilt subs from say 1956 '

wink.gif

Respond to this message   

AAKVIPER
(Login aakviper)

Philipp that Baklite bezel is from your other 6542 right?

August 20 2009, 1:12 PM 

You then put it on this 6542 with the water spotted dial right?....Man that one Bakelite bezel sure gets around .. I may be wrong.. wink.gif Arthur

http://rolexnessreviews.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Are you drinking again?...please, when react, say something usefull!....

August 20 2009, 2:34 PM 

This is my last attemp to react politely and in harmony to yet another stupid post of you Arthur. As i told you already twice and pratice myself since then, avoid a direct, mostly unnecesary reaction on a post from me. JB for instance doesn't need you to back him up, I personally even think that his business will do even better when he's not associated with you...wink.gif

So don't do it for me, do it for the benefit of all others VRF's here that are in it for the passion and want to read some constructive comments about vintage Rolex and not a cat & mouse game between you & me. If you really need to tell me something, send me an email.

Best to you, over & out

Rgrds.P

Before i forget, do us all a favour, buy yourself a good camera and make some new pictures of your watches. I'm totally fat up seeing the old unsharp polaroids over and over again. Maybe when you're focusing on the details during photographing you might discover something new, odd, special, a gap, a line or maybe even something completly new where we all haven't come up with yet, so surprise me!

Respond to this message   

AAKVIPER
(Login aakviper)

Philipp a blind man can take better scans then you..One more scan..you make it easy.

August 21 2009, 7:19 AM 

Homebody your scans are no better then mine, trust me on that...Look at the two Bakelite bezels in your two scans any similarities??..please stop putting the white powder up your nose..lol.. wink.gif

You make it to easy bro..some patch work on the blue and red area and you get a nicer bakelite put still the same bezel..Come on, look at the 22 color sequence and dots between the 22 and 2 on both bezels. No way one can have the same dark white and white color trace..

JB is my friend something you do seem to lack..I just offered my collection to him at any time for his auction verification deal.

Before I forget, do us all a favour, first show us some real photo skills..like you are the one to talk about camera skills(look at your scans below)....lol..and STOP putting watches together and playing them off like they came that way. Just say you restored them..no shame in that.

I am glad you took my advice and replaced the 1019 hands on the 6541 with a better set. now the dial is next..
Hey maybe if you are a good boy..I can sell you a Bakelite bezel..lol.. wink.gif
cold busted again..
P just buy another Bakelite bezel...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
[linked image]

http://rolexnessreviews.blogspot.com/

This message has been edited by aakviper from IP address 205.188.116.138 on Aug 21, 2009 7:58 AM

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

I finally think you got my message clear, Count of Edit....

August 21 2009, 8:22 AM 

Sometimes it helps reading the forums sober, stick to that so maybe some day we can be friends again wink.gif

Best of luck,

Rgrds.P

Respond to this message   
AAKIVIPER
(no login)

P I do like you...you make these fourms fun..I hope one day not to be sober with you..

August 21 2009, 8:37 AM 

over drinks... happy.gif You know we bust each others balls in fun...But in the end we have the same interests...you are tops in my book..Arthur

Respond to this message   

AAKVIPER
(Login aakviper)

I had to edit, my bashing of you was getting to long..:)

August 21 2009, 8:42 AM 

I had to pull back a bit, I had more scans but that would have been an overkill..LOL Arthur

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Looking forward to that day!!....

August 21 2009, 8:53 AM 

and hope you don't mind that I correct you in the future when you talk sh*t again wink.gif

Best to you!

Rgrds.P

Respond to this message   

AAKVIPER
(Login aakviper)

ok but I hope you do not mind when I correct you...

August 21 2009, 9:33 AM 

and find blatant discrepancies in watches posted...And if and when I do the same thing and post a no no watch..please let me know as well. I look forword to it. Scans and all..that would be the way we roll.. happy.gif

A

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

As long as you focus on the watch and not on me, i'm fine with that....

August 21 2009, 12:34 PM 

'Love is in the air' as long it's about passion but if you rather like to continue to play your game, it's also fine with me wink.gif

rgrds.P

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014