<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Marconi watch company?

September 10 2010 at 4:53 AM
  (Login PaulS.)
from IP address 75.22.137.189

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a watch on the bay. Its a Marconi and it reminds me of an old Rolex oyster watch. Has anyone heard of a Marconi watch before and can you give me some back ground on this watch company? I like the look of this watch it was listed as circa 1935. Thank you for your help.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
prince912
(no login)

Rolex second line for South America market just like Tudor

September 10 2010, 7:08 AM 

nt.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login PaulS.)

Re: Rolex second line for South America market just like Tudor

September 10 2010, 8:10 AM 

Thank you for all your help.

Respond to this message   

(Login Volecs)
VRF Member

dial

September 10 2010, 7:57 AM 

probably redone...

Respond to this message   

(Login PaulS.)

Re: Marconi watch company?

September 10 2010, 8:22 AM 

What do you guys think the beats per hour for this movement will be?

Respond to this message   

(Login WorldOysterWatcher)
VRF Member

Same case...

September 10 2010, 1:11 PM 

Marketed at the same time, along with Genex, Unicorn and so many others. There were 100s of names registered by Wildsorf. Today, only Rolex and Tudor remain.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Re: Same case...

September 10 2010, 2:30 PM 

Very nice watch any idea what the bph with this movement?

Respond to this message   

(Login WorldOysterWatcher)
VRF Member

seriously... no...

September 10 2010, 3:44 PM 

I didn't pop up a picture of my movement, but it is different than yours. I have no idea of the bph of either movement.

Respond to this message   

(Login PaulS.)

Re: Marconi watch company?

September 14 2010, 5:19 AM 

Found this on the web: The Rolex Watch Company was founded on it use of the innovative cutting edge technologies that were availableat at that time. Rolex was constantly pushing back the boundaries of what could be achieved in watchmaking. The very early Rolex models from this period were sold largely as watches that were superior in reliability when compared to the other makers at this time. Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of the Rolex, was not shy and was constantly trumpeting the accuracy levels to which his Rolex were tuned and by associating his products with pioneering figures of the time, including scientists, sports figures such as land speed record challengers. This idea of selling by association was relatively new in the early 1900's and it is indicative of Rolex and but it was mainly Wilsdorfs vision that he chose to register the Marconi name in January 1911. This was actually before he officially patented the Rolex name in 1915. However, the Marconi name was rarely used on its own, and first appeared on dials as Rolex Marconi in 1920's. A explanation should be given as to why Rolex chose to acquire the Marconi brand name for his watches. In 1901 Gugliemo Marconi successfully demonstrated the first use of radio waves as a means of communication. In 1909, Marconi was awarded the Nobel prize for physics and his business had become a great commercial success. Radio communication was " state of art technology" and this was very exciting to the general public. Rolex assumed that by registering the Marconi name and using it on their watches, he could benifit from this enthusiasm and once again, associate his products with this innovation and progress. It is worth noting that the very best that Rolex manfactured was made for the Marconi line. Rolex did not just put the Marconi name on the standard Rolex models but on the more expensive models that Rolex were manufacturing. The majority of these Marconi models, due to the enormous amount of work required to produce them and their very high prices, were sold through a very small group of Fine London jewelers whose customers could afford the high prices. The hand assembled movements movements went on to establish Rolex as the finest wristwatch maker in the world, and the detail that went into creating them forged a legendary reputation for accuracy and reliability that is still the basis of Rolex marketing today. These watches were produced in small numbers for customers whom price mattered little and quite literally wanted the best of the best. Every surface on these Rolex Marconi movements was hand finished to perfection and the quality is so high that I would have no hesitation in suggesting that, with regular servicing every 4 or 5 years, they will continue to keep time well. The market for vintage Rolex watches has skyrocketed at an unprecedented rate over the last few years and GenevanetUSA believes this investment trend will continue. GenevanetUSA recommends this Rolex model as a Excellent Choice for the buyer looking for a Rolex for daily wear or investment. Fine wristwatch collecting is exploding in popularity and Rolex have become one of the best long term investments available in the world. The most appealing aspect of these watches is that they are both extremely elegant and extremely rugged.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Marconi watch company?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014