<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

!!! ......................" THE Tenzing Rolex "............................. !!!

March 11 2011 at 4:21 AM

Philipp  (Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member
from IP address 199.27.131.97

In continue of my quest to find all information on 1952 - 1953 Mount Everest & Rolex post....

-->http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1297618845/Mount+Everest+%26amp%3B+Rolex+-------------------------My+Quest+%3B-%29

One of the imho most important Rolex out of their enormous heritage I can present to you today:

THE Tenzing Rolex!!!

A lot has been said about the Rolex of Tenzing Norgay, the ultra Sherpa you needed to get to the summit of Mt.Everest back in the fifties. As a full member of the Swiss expedition in 1952, then in 1953 with the British back again as a Sherpa. Only team members got prototypes from Rolex to test their watches. For Everest there were 13 Rolex watches delivered, as original '53 Rolex correspondance & invoice have shown. Tenzing was not a member at '53 and thus did not get a Rolex/Smith from the British, so what was he wearing? Best rumour so far that has been spread around is by Jamling Tenzing in the forword of Rolex book; it was a gold bubbleback given to him by his good friend Raymond Lambert. So let's start my journey where we ended last time, when I came in contact with the Tenzing's who asked me to examine their father's Rolex....

The more I got closer, the more excited I became. Specially when I held it the first time and saw the caseback!!..

"Presented by the Rolex Watch Company as a memento of the Swiss expedition to Mount Everest" it says!
[linked image]

An "official" gift from Rolex to Sherpa Tensing Norkay, for his achievements of Swiss 1952 Expedition. Now I tell you that I've spoken with the lovely widow of Raymond Lambert and interesting detail was that she shared with me that her husband never gave 'his' or 'a' Rolex to his friend Tenzing as rumoured till now. It was "The Rolex Company" that gave it to Tenzing it says! not Lambert, where Tenzing always in Lambert's house during his stay in Switzerland.....

While meeting the Tenzings in the US, the first look at THE Everest Rolex pur sang was a BIG surprise especially to see it was a DATEJUST?!....LOL, after a while I realized: a Datejust on Top of the World! wink.gif

[linked image]

wink.gif Haha wink.gif !! A GOLD DATEJUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

[linked image]

WITH RED writing & Date-wheel!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

[linked image]

Glorious moment for me personally, also hearing the stories from the Tenzings in how it was kept,
were very usefull in the my research! Many thanks to the humble Tenzing family in willing to sharing it
with me in the Hillary & Tenzing project!!

My research got me further into detail after reading this: "He agreed rather half-heartedly to go again
with the British in 1953. He and Hillary were then not close but Lambert pressed him to take the chance
with the British" --->http://www.k2news.com/e2002swiss.htm

&

"Norgay" means "fortunate"... wink.gif
http://www.tenzing-norgay.com/pages/tenzingnorgaysherpa.html

The Lambert family (widow and son Yves Lambert) told me 2 interesting details about I like to share with you;

# First, during my talk it was clear to me that Raymond Lambert had a special relationship with Rolex back
in those days. For Rolex not only the '52 Genevan climbteam should conquer Mt.Everest but Rolex should be worn during any attempt! The close relationship Raymond had with Rolex was of deep respect. It was Raymond, continued the keen widow to me, who convinced Tenzing to join the British '53 Everest Team. John Hunt came with a message
from the young UK Queen in spe to Raymond in asking him to convince Tenzing to join! A VERY interesting
note she remembered during this proces was that Tenzings wife back then advised him not to take his Rolex
to this 1953 Expedition. So again, after Lambert convinced Tenzing to join the British, he now had to make
sure Tenzing was wearing a Rolex. I asked her why her husband was so pertinent... She explained to me that
Raymond was in full believe Rolex, as genevan based, deserved it to be worn on top of a succesful ascent!
In honor of his friendship Tenzing decided to please Lambert, and did not take the "schmutz" she continued!
At first I thought, what's a "schmutz", so I asked her...she said her husband always said it like this to her.
As we where talking german, the coin dropped and from "schmut"(German for dirty;)I explained her it was Smith, lol! wink.gif

# Secondly I want to mention that after Yves Lambert showed me his fathers Rolex, he made a very important, but also logic remark. He told me that ALL Rolex watches had to be given back to Geneva for research....as they were prototypes! (Invoice Rolex to British Mt.Everest Expeditions says "with extra long leather strap") He continued to tell me that the one he's having, is engraved with his fathers name and given to him AFTER the ascent. All original Rolex watches worn during Everest Expeditions were send back to Geneva. That is what he saw during a visit to the Genevan factory in their private showcase.

[linked image]

Having said above, rest us to analyse the shown golden Tenzing Rolex caseback. It says: "a memento of the Swiss expedition to Mount Everest". A brave gravure honouring a exceptional explorer for his effort in 1952....

[linked image]

This rare & important Tenzing Rolex shows a gravure that doesn't mention the succesful 1953 ascent, no instead it meantions a Swiss '52 expedition. Tenzing was in '53 not on paper a member of '53 expedition, so no steel Rolex on extra long bracelet.
The Tenzing family told me that Rolex US had it for service during Mr. Putton's period of director, he ensembled a team of the best watchmakers from Geneva to come to NY. The leather strap was worn out & the bezel was broken and movement needed over-hault. This team searched for correct parts over the world and also changed the leather for this US oyster bracelet and presented it very happily after some time back to the Tenzing family. Since then, it's stored in the safe until I came along wink.gif

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tenzings own words to his family where that he worn this Rolex on the Mt.Everest. & Again I like to thank every friend involved around me in getting me to see this Rolex grail, I owe you big time for your patience and advise!!
Glad to hear so many close Rolex friends are doing their effort to come 19 march to Maastricht, respect! will be fun for sure to 'update all new grails that hit Passion members in a high frequence lately! wink.gif See you next Saterday!

&

The HTE ( www.HillaryTenzingExplorer.com ) website will soon show you more pictures of the Tenzing Rolex!
and the both the Rolex of one of last living 1953 British Expedition Members; George Band & more impressions
with our encounter with Jane Morris ('53 Times journalist that got the story right on time in London on the day
the world looked to the coronation of the young Queen Elizabeth). Later today or early tomorrow "Cape 3" will go online,
i'll post a warning once it's live wink.gif

Hope you all like it!
Best Regards!
Philipp

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ken
(Login Highlander65)
VRF Member

That is pretty cool Philipp........

March 11 2011, 4:23 AM 

How you dig this stuff up is amazing. Thanks for the cool info and research!

Respond to this message   

Roger
(Premier Login fantastictime)
VRF Managing Director

Fantastic post Philipp, Thank you (nt)

March 11 2011, 4:31 AM 

happy.gif

---Perpetual Knowledge---

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

MANY Thanks Ken & Roger!!......

March 11 2011, 5:35 AM 

My Friday wear! Yours?

One of first Explorer 2.53 Serpico Y Laino & The best outcome of toolwatch evolution so far! 6538 wink.gif

[linked image]

Best to YOU!
rg.Philipp

Respond to this message   

Ken
(Login Highlander65)
VRF Member

Again---Very nice as always

March 11 2011, 12:55 PM 

Very nice again as always Philipp! Nothing like Big Crown Fridays for me!! (-:
HAGWE!!

Respond to this message   
denningroad
(no login)

A great post! Thnx, Philipp!!! (nt)

March 11 2011, 4:51 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mike Wood
(Login mikewood)
VRF Contributing Member

Excellent!!

March 11 2011, 5:46 AM 

Great work!! Looking forward to Saturday happy.gif

MW

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Cheers Mike!! & I'm all nervous as usual for the 19th ;-)...

March 11 2011, 6:28 AM 

Looking forward in meeting you soon in Maastricht!

Pleasant for you to know is that great friends will be coming all the way like our friend Jed from Down Under. Im excited to see what all will bring to share and how it will look together on display. Have a interesting line up of the evolution of Rolex toolwatch concept in my mind & preparing the speach ( why did I mentioned the idea of me giving a speach!?! wink.gif Happy D will be there to help me manage wink.gif

I'm also looking forward in seeing some important Everest Rolex together;

#George Bands 1953 Everest Expedition Rolex!!& his black dialed 1955 Kangchenjunga first ascent Rolex!
#Peter Hillarys original Explorer 2 Orange Hand 1655 given by Rolex!
#Jamling TenzingNorgays Orange Hand 1655 given to his father by his friend Heinrich Harrer (Bratt Pitt in 7 Years of Tibet)!

We will also show you the Hillary Tenzing Explorer No. 88/88 limited edition that has got a special vintage tuning. This last example from the HTE serie will be auction at Christies Geneva May special watch auction. A 4 page spread will cover the story to maximise the final result in benefit for the Hillary & Tenzing Foundations that preserve the Himalaya.

I'm keen to fun with you guys again!

Rg.philipp

Ps For those that have to miss the Maastricht HTE Event 19 March, theres a second change wink.gif On 14 May we will with Christies do a Geneva HTE Event ( with Peter Hillary & Jamling Tenzing Norgay!! ) doing their duo-speach in the Hotel Des Bergues.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dino
(Login carswatches)
VRF Member

Awesome story Mr. Sherlock Holmes...

March 11 2011, 7:04 AM 

Looking forward to the 19th also...

Ciao, D

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Kan niet wachten!! ;-)

March 11 2011, 8:37 AM 

[linked image]

wink.gif

Respond to this message   
David
(Login lovewatches2)
VRF Member

Great research and passion.

March 11 2011, 7:30 AM 

Thankyou for sharing your hard won research. Great piece of history that unravels so much myth.
What beautiful watches.

A real joy to see them.

Thankyou

Respond to this message   
David
(Login lovewatches2)
VRF Member

What model number is the Gold Datejust ?

March 11 2011, 7:36 AM 

What a great looking watch.
Thankyou

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

It's....

March 11 2011, 1:47 PM 

one of the last secrets !

lol wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Marcus
(Login fletch01)
VRF Member

great post

March 11 2011, 7:55 AM 

thank you for sharing.....good job, Philipp

cheers
Marcus

Respond to this message   
Jan Holmgaard
(Login Jan1675)
VRF Member

Simply wonderful!

March 11 2011, 8:03 AM 

Great post, great story, great work Philipp!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Jan

PS I think I will read it one more time tonight, while enjoying a cuban cigar...DS

Respond to this message   
acce1999
(Login acce1999)
VRF Member

Thank you very much for this continuous research! (nt)

March 11 2011, 8:05 AM 

Respond to this message   

Richard Carver
(Premier Login VintageRolexForum)
Owner

Beautiful story!

March 11 2011, 8:50 AM 

Get lots of pics on the 19th! happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Philipp
(Login philippstahl)
VRF Contributing Member

Thank you Richard! We don't want to dissapoint the Maestro ;-)

March 11 2011, 1:24 PM 

I told you my friend, you as Datejust lover, will be going to enjoy the Tenzing Rolex wink.gif
To me, the Datejust gives me now a total different feeling then before. More like Pre-Tools

With respect to this all, I came with this caseback gravure for Hillary Tenzing benefit auction of last HTE 88/88...

[linked image]

You like it?

wink.gif

This message has been edited by philippstahl from IP address 199.27.131.120 on Mar 11, 2011 1:38 PM

Respond to this message   

Richard Carver
(Premier Login VintageRolexForum)
Owner

Lovely...

March 11 2011, 4:51 PM 

...you're making history my friend. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
MarkT
(Login bearbrass3188)

Thanks for the excellent write up Philipp.....

March 11 2011, 8:59 AM 

cant wait to see more of the same
....also if you have info on the 6150, that would be great too wink.gif

rgds

Mark

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017