<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Who said yachting competitions are not dangerous? Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup ended today

September 10 2011 at 10:55 AM
  (Login IgorDR)
from IP address 70.173.89.251

Two yachts collided causing some broken ribs and a crew member over board.
All will enjoy themselves however at the party thrown by Rolex happy.gif
Here is the link:
http://www.thedailysail.com/inshore/11/59720/0/maxi-yacht-rolex-cup-day-four-report

Trophies were awarded this evening at a ceremony held at the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (YCCS). The winners of four of the classes: Rán 2, Y3K, DSK Pioneer Investments, Nilaya plus the best performing racer/cruiser in the Mini Maxi Rolex Worlds - Gunter Herzs All Smoke (GER) - were presented with a Rolex Yacht Master. In addition, the winner of the annual Rolex IMA Championship Andres Sorianos Alegre (GBR) received a Rolex Submariner.

This message has been edited by IgorDR from IP address 70.173.89.251 on Sep 11, 2011 9:44 AM
This message has been edited by IgorDR from IP address 70.173.89.251 on Sep 10, 2011 2:57 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jedly1)
VRF Emeritus

yep, the race and your coverage of the topic must have stirred some interest this week

September 10 2011, 2:38 PM 

i just sold Johns old one to a quite enthusiastic collector who was rapped to get one.

Respond to this message   

(Login IgorDR)

what are you saying ?

September 10 2011, 2:49 PM 

please elaborate.

Respond to this message   

(Login jedly1)
VRF Emeritus

whats to elaborate ?

September 10 2011, 3:11 PM 

i just sold Johns old 2003 YM this week, the owner had been trying to get someone to buy it for a year or so with no success.

this one.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4059175&rid=0

i guess your promotion of the subject matter stirred some interest !!

Respond to this message   

(Login IgorDR)

That is good news then for you and John :)

September 10 2011, 3:34 PM 

Good things come to those who wait...

Respond to this message   

jed
(Login jedly1)
VRF Emeritus

john (fatboyharris) sold it three years ago ...

September 10 2011, 3:38 PM 

its the guy who bought it who has been looking to sell.

Respond to this message   

(Login IgorDR)

John has a real interest in these pieces.

September 10 2011, 6:02 PM 

He may be looking a long time to find another one though.

Respond to this message   
fatboyharris
(Login fatboyharris)
VRF Member

I knew they were rare, but in reality they are much rarer than I first thought.

September 10 2011, 11:13 PM 

There are so few around just having the opportunity to handle one is a rare pleasure in itself.

Its nice to see that these watches are gaining favour amongst collectors, if there is a certain sport be it golf, horse riding, motor sport, yachting that you follow and enjoy, what can be better than a Rolex presentation watch from that particular sports pinnacle of achievement.

The very early pieces are very rare to see and I'm sure the greater the following a particular sport has the higher the premium.

Not enough is understood about these pieces, its an area that deserves more research and greater visibility on forum postings. Its not just about the watch itself but in many instances the story line of sometimes very illustrious winner.

regards

John

Respond to this message   

(Login seve1939)
VRF Member

IF these watches are so rare,---

September 11 2011, 7:45 AM 

What was the last sale price of a TT Sub.?

Respond to this message   
fatboyharris
(Login fatboyharris)
VRF Member

Excellent question....a simple internet search should reveal the answer

September 11 2011, 11:44 PM 

But I haven't found one for sale or historic sale details of one. These so rarely come to market, that the price achieved may have no bearing on todays market prices in general.

As Rolex has steadily increased its sponsorship of sport in recent years,increasing the number of events each year, creates a greater number of presentation sports/tool watches in absolute terms awarded each year. But IMHO the further you go back the absolute number of sports/tool watches awarded falls per year, so an early example is rare. For example, I believe only one watch was awarded in the Maxi Cup in 1995, but by 2003 3 watches were awarded for the various classes, 2 yachtmasters and a bimetal sub. The bimetal sub went to Neville Crichton who was known to wear it at subsequent yatching events along with other watches he has been awarded. He may still have the watches.

At a rough quess there may be upwards of 150 presentation watches awarded this year in all disciplines, only Rolex knows for certain. How many of them will you ever see coming to the market?

Not all the watches IMHO are equally desirable, I'm sure a Daytona 24 hours piece will command a significant price both from the size of market of the motor sport enthusiasts and the keen following of the Daytona watch in itself. There are examples of early Tudor pieces and datejust presentational pieces around, but the number of tool/sports watches which we may consider far more desireable is low.

If you want one of these pieces, firstly you have to find one, a internet search will reveal very quickly they rarely come to market.

So I dont know the answer to your question, but it appears neither does anyone else amongst those who are prepared to comment.

All the very best

regards

John

Respond to this message   

(Login seve1939)
VRF Member

You had a YM for sale--2003 for 6,500 pounds

September 12 2011, 5:34 AM 

Did it sell?

Respond to this message   
fatboyharris
(Login fatboyharris)
VRF Member

Yes it sold, three years ago as per Jed's post above.

September 12 2011, 6:02 AM 

I have absolutely no vested interest in hyping these watches. Other than watching the market place for these pieces and a personal interest in the storyline when they do appear.

I feel they are undervalued and under-rated and deserve a greater following as they do represent the pinnacle of sporting achievement in Rolex sponsored sporting events. Not everyone will agree, rarity does not mean or guarentee desirability. But some without question are quite unique and IMHO very desirable.

Not enough is understood about these watches and it would be nice to see them researched and commented on more frequently. They are part of the Rolex ethos and history worthy of consideration.

All the best
kind regards

John

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Who said yachting competitions are not dangerous? Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup ended today
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014