<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I got a new watch...well new to me...

January 30 2012 at 7:25 PM
  (Login RolexWatchTime)
VRF Moderator
from IP address 99.67.239.216

Now you don't see these every day..or every week or every month or...really hardly ever.

Dial refinished....movement dry...wrong crown...but these are rare...and since I'm not selling it...I can say that and actually I could say that anyway wink.gif

The "Athlete" is a rare watch...the perpetual version of that case...is 100 times rarer.

Reference 3458

I have this dial that has been screaming for a home...I think I found it.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Rigbot)
VRF Member

Restoring neglected BBs to better than found condition...

January 30 2012, 10:20 PM 

...is an admirable pursuit. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

-Rigby

Respond to this message   

WorldOysterWatcher
(Login WorldOysterWatcher)
VRF Member

That will look good!

January 30 2012, 11:13 PM 

a side view (to compare to a Tudor Athlete and a rather ordinary manual-wind Rolex Athlete) please?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
RolexWatchTIme
(Login RolexWatchTime)
VRF Moderator

I would hardly call an Athlete ordinary...and a Tudor Athlete...fuggedaboutit!

January 31 2012, 12:09 AM 

As requested side view. Note bigger bubble and deeper knurled area....this watch is THICK...

[linked image]

[linked image]

Also note the different bezel.

This has a double 45 rather than just the 45 in to out configuration...making it different from the Athlete in yet another way.

Also...the Athlete uses a 10.5 h with a spacer ring...and a dial larger than the movement.

The NA even thought it is based on a 9 3/4 ligne, the autowind flange actually makes it bigger than a 10.5 ligne. The dial for a bubbleback is bigger so it fits the rehaute though there might be dimensional differences in the case as well.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

WorldOysterWatcher
(Login WorldOysterWatcher)
VRF Member

very cool! I'm jealous!

January 31 2012, 1:08 AM 

thanks for the comparing pics!

Respond to this message   
Mike Wood
(Login mikewood)
VRF Contributing Member

Neat....

January 31 2012, 12:04 AM 

Tommy, please have a close look at the inside of the case back and see if the flat part of the case back with the Rolex signatures appears to be made of silver and then soldered to the knurled part of the case back. It's something I have seen on several Athlete bubblebacks and I'd be interested to know if yours is similar.

Thanks!

MW

Respond to this message   

(Login RolexWatchTime)
VRF Moderator

Here's a pic

January 31 2012, 12:18 AM 

All of the bubbleback threaded portions are soldered in as far as I know. I have even had the threaded section replaced.

As for silver...well it is very bright...no graying like other casebacks inside. The picture isn't showing the real gleam of the patina unfortunately.

The engraving I think is unique to the reference with the BREVETTE curved and the Rolex SA and the reverse curved Haute Precision.

I have seen so many variations I can't remember them all but this one looks unique to me or for some reason it steps out as being unusual.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Mike Wood
(Login mikewood)
VRF Contributing Member

Thank you...

January 31 2012, 1:05 AM 

I don't have any inner case back images of mine, but I think they are similar to yours. Cheers! MW

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - I got a new watch...well new to me...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2014