<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tritium dust started to corroded the dial

April 14 2017 at 8:34 PM
Luckyl  (Login luckyhsld)
from IP address 110.138.0.173

Dear All friends & gurus,

I've noticed that in a couple of years, the tritium dust on my 5513 dial have started to corroded the dial causing the dial and/or dust become a black spot. Do any body experienced this before and is there any way to prevent it getting worsen... maybe by cleaning the dust away. I m planning to used a tiny rodico paste and try to extract the dust very slowly one by one dust at a time.. I know I will spend hours/days to do this, but if it can be done I am willing to do it. Have tried to bring to my watchmaker but seems they hesitate to do anything to it.

I noticed from this forum several dealers selling their very clean 5513 without any tritium dust around the pot. Is this because they did clean it or is it really exist that after 40 years some dial still contain no dust? This make me wonder all the time. Should I go ahead try to do this project or have to live with this corroded dust.

Many thanks in advance for all the advice.

Luckyl

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Luckyl
(Login luckyhsld)

Pic

April 14 2017, 8:44 PM 

[linked image]

This message has been edited by fantastictime from IP address 164.215.104.139 on Apr 18, 2017 1:01 AM

Respond to this message   
Luckyl
(Login luckyhsld)

and after Rodico...

April 17 2017, 9:02 PM 

Since There are no responses.. I try to put some guts to deal the dust with Rodico.. Using a toothpick and wrap the rodico to the end of the tip, gently push down and up, the rodico doest his works.. Not all can be extracted and I think I have get rid around 30% of the dust.. Sometimes even touch the lume pot and the lettering but they hold to the dial quite strong..

Here are the result after works.. Some dirt are from the glasses.
Cheers..

[linked image]

This message has been edited by fantastictime from IP address 164.215.104.139 on Apr 18, 2017 1:02 AM

Respond to this message   
Francis P
(Login maxbliss888)
VRF Member

Dial

April 18 2017, 2:08 AM 

Good job! Looks nice!

Respond to this message   
Konrad
(Login lambstew)

I think the main culprit here was moisture ingress..

April 19 2017, 7:33 PM 

..reacting and adding to the lume delaminating issue.. However your effort has made a big difference..

Respond to this message   
John R
(Login Linesiders)
VRF Member

Yes, tough process with a lot of risk

April 20 2017, 5:52 AM 

Doing something similar with an extreme Silver Print Tudor dial. Rodico, Peg Wood, and these Nail Sponges were very helpful (see link)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RNRCLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Looking for old dials to test some new methods wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Luckyl
(Login luckyhsld)

Early treatment will actually save the dial

April 23 2017, 7:35 PM 

I think if we take some guts and deal with this dust earlier stage, we might save the dial from being corroded into a black stain. It is when we are too scared to do something and watching the dial getting worse time to time, then it is too late. Earlier tritium dust is quite easy to take off, it is those old dust that maybe reacted with moisture become sticky and stick to the dial. I can't get rid of those ones.

Anyway I m happy with the result and enjoying a better cleaner dial.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017