<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Explorer 1016 dial

April 18 2017 at 8:50 AM
Guiller  (Login GSG1)
from IP address 167.230.140.8

Hi gents,
I am a watch collector, long time forum lurker, and first time poster. I just purchased a 1016 Explorer (which I am yet to receive) and was wondering if you might be able to provide me with your expert opinion on the watch, please. I would like to verify that everything looks fine and there are no obvious red-flags here I might be missing. The watch is a late R series from 1988 which is in mint condition, with original tritium dial/hands and unpolished case. I would appreciate your opinions especially in regards to the dial which is where I have seen the most variation with Rolexes in regards to font type used, thickness, shape of the Rolex coronet, etc. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide. Regards,

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG][/URL]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG][/URL]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew Tan
(Login andrewtan07)
VRF Member

Looks perfectly fine to me. Case lugs is still thick and good.

April 18 2017, 8:56 AM 

Did you do the movement checks? Any pitting at lugs or case?

Respond to this message   
Guiller
(Login GSG1)

Thanks...

April 18 2017, 9:19 AM 

Thanks for your prompt response, Andrew; it brings me peace of mind! I have not had the chance to check on the movement just yet. I jumped on the watch the minute it went up for sale, kind of a shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later situation. I know this is not ideal but these watches seem to be "flying off the shelves" lately and tend not to stay in the market for long. I figured that if the watch really is as pristine as it looks, and given the reputable source, the movement would be the last of my worries. We'll see...

Respond to this message   
Guiller
(Login GSG1)

Adding to conversation...

April 18 2017, 11:39 AM 

And this is why I was asking: See pictures below with a sample of three Explorer dials, the R serial from 1988 that I just bought plus two additional L series from 1989. When you really zoom-in and get a good level of detail on the dial print it is surprising to see the number of font nuances and variations across dials, even between the two watches from the same serial and year. Somehow I was expecting for such a comparison to yield more cohesive results across same model watches.I guess some of it has to do with the fact Rolex was sourcing these dials from different manufacturers at the time? any other thoughts? thanks!

Watch 1: R SERIAL, c.1988:

Watch 2: L SERIAL, c.1989:

Watch 3: L SERIAL, c.1989:

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017