<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

6542 Bakelite Bezel Inserts

October 4 2017 at 11:23 AM
TLWoodie  (Login tlwoodie)
VRF Member
from IP address 207.10.156.138

I'm seeing too many 6542's with "original" bakelite inserts floating around these days. Often times, I can find variations between two inserts that are marketed as both being original. I'm sure the fakes are getting much better because of the value a true bakelite insert brings. Can someone provide some advice on verifying the inserts as original and/or fake? Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

mark.z
(Login bruzelle)
VRF Member

A Geiger Counter will help

October 5 2017, 1:23 AM 

You are probably also referring to mine, so my advice: When you check i.e. some of the 6542 sold on Jacecks site you will see that the font of the numbers is quite distinctive.

Once you have the bezel in hands, a geiger counter will be very helpful. The radium radiation of the bezel is quite strong and I would seriously doubt that the fakes would be alike. On the other hand: North Korea is well known to produce counterfeit products and for them it would probably not be that hard to apply some radiation... just kidding...

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login GMTKiwi)
VRF Member

Remember too that variations do exist ...

October 6 2017, 1:59 PM 

There are at least two different styles of bakelite insert and two different bezels for the 6542.

One style has the usual arrangement seen on all Rolex sports watches where the insert simply clicks into the bezel ... although I'm thinking the bakelite inserts may have been bonded into place

The second style sees a tab /slot system where the outer edge of the bakelite insert has half a dozen (?) very small notches that correspond with tabs on the bezel itself.

There may be even more styles I guess - I don't know if this also trancends to different styles of font or general presentation.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017