<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tudor 7016/0 doubts

October 30 2017 at 5:15 AM

mark.z  (Login bruzelle)
VRF Member
from IP address 178.196.180.27

Hi all,

a friend of mine bought a Tudor 7016 and asked for my opinion.
I have some serious doubts about it but I'd like to double check here first.
Thus any help would be highly apreciated!

First, the serial number is not in the 7016 range at all. But strangely the font looks ok to me:

[linked image]

[linked image]

The bracelet looks really strange to me - but I don't count "not known to me" automatically as "could not have existed"...but still:

[linked image]

[linked image]

That's the watch, strange patina imho:

[linked image]

Thanks for your input!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

juneja
(Login juneja)
VRF Member

Patina

November 5 2017, 12:51 AM 

Until somebody more knowledgeable chimes in I can say that the patina is water damage.
I don’t know about the bracelet but aftermarket replacements are quite common.
I haven’t checked serial number records but those records are out there.
Good luck.

Respond to this message   
Jean
(Login JohnBasque)
VRF Member

You're right, Ref 7016 did not exist in 1963/64...

November 6 2017, 12:36 AM 

... and first snowflakes dials date from late 60s. The dial, while damaged, looks genuine though. It would be useful to get a pic of the caseback and mechanism. Anyway, my first guess is that, at best, original numbers were not easily readable, so someone decided to print again what they believe they saw. At worst, the case (and possinbly the mechanism) are after-market.

This message has been edited by JohnBasque from IP address 217.15.93.190 on Nov 6, 2017 12:36 AM

Respond to this message   

mark.z
(Login bruzelle)
VRF Member

the numbers font looks fine...

November 6 2017, 2:59 AM 

..that's why the case is a mistery to me. It does not look as the numbers were reprinted.
The serial and reference are obviously the same font and this looks like genuine Tudor printing to me.
If it's still a reprint then I'd say it's a RSC reprint. Could they have messed up the numbers??

Ah wait... could that be a Tudor service case? Does the 4.4mio Rolex service range thing also exist for Tudor cases?

This message has been edited by bruzelle from IP address 178.196.180.27 on Nov 6, 2017 3:02 AM

Respond to this message   
Jean
(Login JohnBasque)
VRF Member

Indeed, the font looks fine...

November 6 2017, 5:01 AM 

... But the engravement looks very fresh/recent, as if the case had just been released out of factory.
I do not know about replacement case for Tudor. Once again the info on the case back might tell you something more about the quality of this watch.

Respond to this message   
John R
(Login Linesiders)
VRF Member

Serial

November 7 2017, 3:48 PM 

Couple things:

Serial looks re-engraved as that surely looks like 44 before the 3 in the serial and it almost looks like other numbers bleeding through - could be artifacts from the photos. As if polished and re-engraved. Fonts look OK but not spectacular, I actually have some concerns when I compare them to a couple of mine.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017