<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help needed with Pie-Pan Datejust dials

November 14 2017 at 8:31 AM

Rigby  (Login Rigbot)
VRF Member
from IP address 173.174.83.222

I’m trying to understand the difference between “T Swiss T” and “T Swiss Made T” on Pie-Pan Datejust dials.
I have been told that “T Swiss Made T” dials on 16XX Datejusts are all later service dials but have a hard time believing that as I have seen quite a few with considerable age and completely dead Tritium. I do notice that they have text reminiscent of the newer dials with more pronounced and larger fonts especially on the words Rolex and Datejust.
Is it possible that they were the last version of Pie-Pan dials or possibly made by a certain manufacturer or for certain markets? Or is my friend correct and all “T Swiss Made T” dials are service? If this is the case approximately what years were they made? Could all the age I’ve seen on some examples be from the 80s or 90s forward? Some early 16XXX dials have only “ T Swiss T” while some (later?) ones have “T Swiss Made T”. Is this a hint to the age of the Pie-Pan dials that share the same wording?
Someone please enlighten me if you can.
Thanks!

These three “T Swiss Made T” dials have totally dead lume and as you can see one is even tropical:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This later Pie-Pan “T Swiss T” dial shares similar large fonts on the words Rolex and Datejust.

[linked image]

-Rigby

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ramone
(Login ramone83)
VRF Member

Interesting question. I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I've seen...

November 15 2017, 7:23 AM 

I would put your 't swiss made t' dials at around '83/'84 or younger...based on the fonts and overall look (the color and 'finish') of the dials. So that would make them service dials indeed happy.gif I think Rolex put 't swiss t' on their regular DJ (and probably also DD) dials right up to the early to mid-80's. But it's hard to tell for certain because they got switched so often.

Respond to this message   

Martin B
(Login ssp226)
VRF Member

All T swiss made T piepan dials are service dials....

November 16 2017, 2:54 AM 

Most are also tritium dials so nothing strange that the lume is dead and the aging is normal if from the 80s. Early 5 digit datejusts should have T swiss T dials. It is not until later T swiss made T shows up on the dial.

The T swiss made T service dials for 16xx were made from the early 80s and forward and until around 99/00 from when you can see T swiss made T dials with luminova dots.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017