<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How does black marker on bezel affect vintage value

February 9 2018 at 10:15 AM
Edward  (Login gsusned)
from IP address 108.48.120.74

Hi, first post here.

I just purchased a vintage rolex submariner online and when I received it I noticed two areas that had black marker on the bezel to probably cover a blemish. How does this affect the value of the watch? Should I try to use alcohol and remove the black marker? If Rolex could sell me a bezel from the same watch model, would you recommend I try to replace it? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ara M
(Login daydatemonthchrono)
VRF Member

Depending on what>>>

February 9 2018, 1:33 PM 

Submariner ...1680 ,5513 vintage bezel inserts are pretty much expensive and together with the dial they are the face of the watch. Vintage Bezel inserts can be found here on vrm. If your piece is one with plexi glass then Rolex can replace the bezel with a "service" insert the topography of which will be totally different of the insert originally delivered ...which is not a good idea

If your vintage Sub has sapphire glass ie ref 16610 16800 then to replace the insert will be less costy and the appropriate bezel will be easy to find.

Lastly if you post a pic of your watch , who knows , may be you have a nice insert ...small blemishes normal on a vintage watch.

Best

Ara M

Respond to this message   
Edward
(Login gsusned)

Model

February 9 2018, 5:29 PM 

I have a 168000. I don't mind the blemish, I just wonder if the black market that was used to cover it ruined the value and if I should leave it in place or get a replacement bezel.

Not sure if I posted the photo url correctly. Here are the two areas near the 11 and 1 o clock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ciXpu91LCom5KmsP2

Thanks for the feedback Ara

Respond to this message   

Ara M
(Login daydatemonthchrono)
VRF Member

Value not much affected >>>

February 9 2018, 8:24 PM 

Because it is easy to find a nice used Tritium pearl bezel for your 168000 .

Best

Ara M

I

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Contact

Vintage Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Market are not sponsored by, associated with and/or affiliated with Rolex, S.A. or Rolex USA or any respective subsidiaries or affiliates.  

Copyright The VRF, Inc. 2002 - 2017