<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The all new TheVikingsBoard.com is up and running with the new boards!

June 10 2007 at 10:59 PM

The Iguana  (Login BigVike_D)
Owner

The migration is on! Http://TheVikingsBoard.com

Unfortunatlely everyone will have to re-register.

For those who want their email addys hiden - remember to click the 'hide' email button in your profile!

And just a reminder - this Network54 forum will be around forever, a link is provided at the new site.

- Iggy

This message has been edited by BigVike_D on Jun 10, 2007 11:00 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

BCV
(Login BCV1.0)
Chatcreeps

Nice Work Ig and Omaha

June 11 2007, 5:02 AM 

Question: Will you be banning IP addy's before they are even used on your board?

L

A certain drunk on certain Fuchsia Fag Forum saw fit to ban my home office IP addy before it was even USED on his board. Glad to see I have him tilting at windmills.

Hey Dan..just remember, when in doubt, ban..*L*

This is going to be fun..

"Wheres my money? I'm getting tired of you ducking me, man. Where's my money?"

Stewie from "Family Guy"

Art imitating life..

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

Me?

June 11 2007, 8:39 AM 

I didn't do a thing, other than make a few suggestions. He's the guy that did all the work.

Respond to this message   

BCV
(Login BCV1.0)
Chatcreeps

BAH!

June 11 2007, 9:11 AM 

don't be so modest..

"Wheres my money? I'm getting tired of you ducking me, man. Where's my money?"

Stewie from "Family Guy"

Art imitating life..

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

And I will be asking more questions,....

June 11 2007, 9:39 AM 

,... like using RSS.

I take it I have to install an RSS display Mod for the feeds to show up somewhere???????

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

Kinda, yes.

June 11 2007, 10:26 PM 

Although, you don't even have to install the mod through SMF. It's actually done through the database (if i remember right). Fairly easy. Still have the link to the mod? If not, let me know.

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

yes, I have the file downloaded, and,....

June 12 2007, 11:38 AM 

,... it may be easy for you - but I've only ever created a SQL databas - I've never manipualted one.

I will however try and follow the instructions, hopefully I won't kill my datatbase.

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

sorry 'bout that. (nm)

June 12 2007, 2:50 PM 

nm

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

Also, BIG question,.. or 2 or 3,..... :)

June 12 2007, 11:46 AM 

,.. does the rss-injector.php file config need it's own DB name - or does this add to the board database name. I'm assuming it does use the same DB and writes into it?

Also the config asks for the FULL path to the board in the includes. If I'm not mistaken - there is a longer directory path than the simple www.domain.com/smf , and I gotta find the long path name right?

I think before with other websites, I've used program uploaded to the server to find that long path name. Maybe Go Daddy has a place in my account management to find it?

Or can I just actually use the simple path?????

Also - it says to then: Run the rss-injector.sql script against your SMF database in MySQL.

I'm assuming the script is run through the frontend that Go Daddy has to access the SQL database and should have a command to do so there????

Or, does this just simply mean run the Rss-injector.php with all the files in the directory once uploaded to the site????

I know, I may be overthinking this one, but I just like making sure so I don't kill anything.

I'm sure I'll have some more little questions just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your input.!!!!

This message has been edited by The_Iguana on Jun 12, 2007 12:13 PM

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

Hopefully, this will help.

June 12 2007, 2:59 PM 

>> does the rss-injector.php file config need it's own DB name - or does this add to the board database name. I'm assuming it does use the same DB and writes into it?

negative. you use the same db name as your smf database (default is "smf", but you may have changed it during installation).

question: does godaddy give you an interface to your database? if so, is it phpMySql?

>> Also the config asks for the FULL path to the board in the includes. If I'm not mistaken - there is a longer directory path than the simple www.domain.com/smf , and I gotta find the long path name right?

correct. gotta use long path names. i'm assuming that you have installed smf to the root directory, in which case the full path would be "/smf". if you put it into some subdirectories, then fill it out.

beware: in rss-injector.php, above the db details, you'll see two "include_once" commands. you'll have to change those to reflect your database installation.

for example:

require_once('/smf/SSI.php');
require_once('/smf/Sources/Subs-Post.php');

>> Also - it says to then: Run the rss-injector.sql script against your SMF database in MySQL.

True. if godaddy has an interface to your database, you should be able to go in there and find a place to enter sql commands (or upload a text file). if there is a place to enter sql commands, like a big text box, you could open the .sql file in notepad and copy/paste it.

All this does is sets up your database. You still have a little more configuration to do.

Let me know when you make it this far without errors. It still won't work at this point, as you have the RSS feeds to configure.

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

I guess I should explain the long path name I mean.

June 12 2007, 4:41 PM 

When I installed stuff on my old websites, the simple path would be www.domain.com/smf

HOWEVER, the real path was long, something like www.domain.com/www/smf/

and actually more convoluted an long. Some 'wwwroot' like additions in there. And maube the actual host's server name and not my domain.

Am I to take it I can use the simple www.domain.com/smf for the path to my forum?

This message has been edited by The_Iguana on Jun 12, 2007 4:42 PM

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

You're on the right track

June 12 2007, 10:11 PM 

do the path. if you have a directory called www.domain.com, then it definitely would be /www.domain.com/smf/blahblah

but if you don't have a directory named after your domain, then don't use it.

did you get into your db?

Respond to this message   

VikAiRious
(Login BigVike_D)
Owner

There is an import in the control of the Database,...

June 13 2007, 12:01 AM 

,.. I take it that's where I would load the file?

- Iggy

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

Might be...

June 13 2007, 10:29 PM 

if it allows you to upload a .sql file, then that is definitely it.

question: which db are you subscribed to? mysql or sqlserver?

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

MYSQL & when I get brave after I make a backup I'll try to install the RSS injector. ( NM)

June 13 2007, 10:36 PM 

NM

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

PS: I'm half tempted to do another smf forum in another directory to test on. :) (nm)

June 13 2007, 10:38 PM 

NM

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

Go for it, but...

June 14 2007, 10:43 PM 

be sure to back up your existing smf database (just in case).

Respond to this message   

VikAiRious
(Login BigVike_D)
Owner

Yes, I will, but I will make a whole new database for another test smf forum instal. (nm)

June 15 2007, 11:18 AM 

NM

- Iggy

Respond to this message   
OmahaVike
(Login OmahaVike)
NFCNORTH

well?

June 16 2007, 8:27 PM 

did it work?

Respond to this message   

The Iguana
(Login The_Iguana)
Chatcreeps

No, I posted on the new board about my struggle,...

June 18 2007, 9:40 AM 

,.... I made it a sticky post the top of the new board.

It's always something.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NFLCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement