New RE Visit (warning: PG/ MC mentioned, Not a FSH Friendly doctor)April 26 2011 at 5:28 AM
|Tanya (no login)|
So yesterday I met with a new prospective RE. My rationale was he had previously worked with Dr. Check as well as Dr. Gill at Houston Infertility and was one of the REs at my local clinic where I am currently being monitored as a patient of Dr. Check.
Talk about a downer. He said being monitored on a natural was a waste of time (my summation). Since I have a fairly consistent AF, of course I ovulate and the monitoring is doing nothing for me except wasting money. IVF would be a waste of time because I dont respond well to meds, I may as well do IUIs. I pushed the issue and he went right to the DE speech and then finally said if I wanted to do IVF he would but I would need at least 4 follicles to go to ER. He could clearly see if he looked at my chart, I consistently make 3 follicles every month. When I brought up the fact I did get PG with IVF (DR. Check) he said that my chance of MC is very high because of my high FSH. I tried getting his perspective on what high FSH had to do with once I got pregnant and didnt really get a straight answer other then bad egss blah blah
I asked if he had experience with using Estyinl and he said all it does it artificially suppress my FSH and he prefers using estrace. I told him I tried that in the luteual phase before and it didnt work; so he went back to the DE speech.
When I asked what he would use to stimulate me, he said clomid and injectables. I told him that I thought Clomid wasnt good for ladies with high FSH and he said he never heard of that.
I also asked if he would be willing to do a post-coliatel and he said it was outdated and I said well Dr. Check still uses the test and he said he would like to see a recent article where it still has any merit.
I then told him about Jamies success and that we are the same age and similar FSH and another person I knew of that had a great response with Dr. Gill; Kim from the over 40 board and he said those but be rare cases.
He asked what Dr. Check told me my chances were of success and I told him 18% TTC on my own with monitoring and he said he thought it was more like 10% take home baby.
The only good thing out of the appointment is that he agreed to do the SIS to look at my tubes since I cant have the HSG due to my iodine allergy. He told me to think about what he said and we would talk more when he does my SIS next week. I need to tread lightly with what I say to him because I dont want the local clinic to stop doing my monitoring. Im thinking I will just tell him that I need some time to think through everything he told me.
So needless to say I am staying with Dr. Check. Sorry for the long rambling post but I just had to vent Luckily my DH didnt seem too rattled by him and made the comment that he likes Dr. Check so much better.
- Boooo! - Sara H. on Apr 26, 6:32 AM
- Excellent Point - Tanya on Apr 26, 8:49 AM
- Sounds like a bona fide jerk!! - Cee on Apr 26, 6:51 AM
- Thanks - Tanya on Apr 26, 8:50 AM
- This makes me sooo mad!!!!! - Katie on Apr 26, 8:08 AM
- simple answer - there's no "SART" for plastic surgery - Anonymous on Apr 26, 8:13 AM
- Wow, then I am even more pissed off! n/t - Katie on Apr 26, 8:42 AM
- you crack me up! - Mrs. A on Apr 26, 9:36 AM
- SATS: here is what I don't understand... - Sara H. on Apr 26, 2:13 PM
- That what SIRM does - Alli on Apr 26, 4:22 PM
- SIRM - Tanya on Apr 27, 6:17 AM
- You are right!!! - Tanya on Apr 26, 8:56 AM
- I wish I could like a post like on facebook! (n/t) - JH on Apr 28, 5:54 AM
- Natural cycle monitoring questioning.. - BabyDance on Apr 26, 8:48 AM
- 3 "recent" Check patients have had natural monitoring success - Mrs. A on Apr 26, 9:18 AM
- Thanks for chiming in with this.. - BabyDance on Apr 26, 9:24 AM
- Thank you and my experience with natural monitoring - Tanya on Apr 26, 9:49 AM
- OPKs are not very reliable if your FSH fluctuates on the high end (20 +/-) - Anonymous on Apr 26, 10:34 AM
- this reminds me of something very important - Mrs. A on Apr 26, 11:11 AM
- Good point about High FSH and OPK's. - BabyDance on Apr 26, 10:43 AM
- Clomid & FSH - Anna on Apr 26, 9:06 AM
- Thank you very much! - Tanya on Apr 26, 9:40 AM
- there's so much crap in here that I don't even have sufficient words! - Mrs. A on Apr 26, 10:54 AM
- LOL!!!! hahahaha! - Katie on Apr 26, 11:34 AM
- This is what I can't stand (all ment.) - Bethpky on Apr 26, 4:25 PM
- Thank you Beth - Tanya on Apr 27, 6:23 AM
- Rambling thoughts on RE's and being your own health care advocate (child ment) - Rebekah on Apr 26, 6:13 PM
- great post; I heartily agree - Jamie on Apr 26, 9:15 PM
- Totally agree... - JulesM on Apr 27, 5:36 AM
- Thank you Jules - Tanya on Apr 27, 6:06 AM
- You are right! - Tanya on Apr 27, 7:01 AM
- Uplifiting post! Thank you - Tanya on Apr 27, 6:55 AM