Return to Index  

There are a few good doctors out there (recap from consult #6) LONG...

May 19 2011 at 5:47 AM
Tanya  (no login)

I am sharing this because I want to give a different perspective that there are some doctors who believe that despite high FSH we can get PG.

To provide some context, I am currently a patient of Dr. Check and LOVE HIM and his entire staff but the remote monitoring can be tiring. I am thinking of doing IVF next month again and taking a week off work is difficult. So off I went with DH in tow to consult #6.

I received excellent advice from a friend that I should clearly tell him at the beginning of the conversation why I am here and that is to discuss how he can help me have a baby using my own eggs. I am aware of DE and while it is great option, I do not want to discuss that today. I think that was a huge plus because he knew my expectations and it helped steer the conversation.

I told him how all the local REs turned me away by either saying my FSH was too high or I needed a minimum of 4 follicles to go to ER. We started talking about Dr. Check and guess what; he knows him and even uses estyinl to lower FSH (just like Check). He explained in detail how estyinl works to my DH. I cant really articulate because my brain was in overload at the time, but if anyone wants the excellent explanation I can ask DH to dictate and Ill provide the information.

He went on to say that he has patients who do out of town monitoring through him for Dr. Check. I asked what it would cost to do IVF with him so eliminate the travel to NJ and it would be close to 10k since he uses an outside facility for ER/ ET. He said he would be completely fine if I wanted to be monitored by him and then hop on a plan to NJ considering the price difference. He has a patient who recently did this. He also said if I wanted him to do IVF for me, he would try to replicate my successful cycle with Cooper.

He asked if Dr. Check had any idea why I had high FSH, what the underlying cause was and to be honest, I dont know. He also said just because I have high FSH doesnt always necessitate IVF. We have proof my tubes are open and I am ovulating so maybe I dont need IVF. I thought that was very interesting since so many doctors push IVF and/or DE. He also said he has gotten women pregnant with high FSH, higher then mine he said (mine is usually low- mid twenties).

I asked about the post-coliatel and yes he does it! He says it is controversially because you can prove that sperm live in the mucus and you can conclude that they are alive in the cervix but you dont know for certain if they make it past that point. Regardless he does the test and would be happy to do it on me. On a side note, he said that a local news station contacted him last summer about some new breakthrough for infertility. It was a study Dr. Check had done on how Robitussim can help women become pregnant. The doctor explained to the TV station this wasnt new and had been around for quite some time. His point in telling me is that Dr. Check has done a lot of research and is well respected.

I asked him about day 3 vs. day 5 transfer and he said that there is no secret formula in the lab that makes doing a day 5 transfer better. His research shows that unless there are too many embryos to put back, day 3 is preferable. He also said that some doctors are starting to do day 2 transfers if there is a small number of embryos because the best place for them isnt in a lab but their natural environment (me).

I asked him about Vitamin D and B12 levels and he said their was an article published very recently (maybe last week) that perhaps the bar for Vitamin D has been set too high which is why so many people are declared deficient. Regardless he ran my levels and B12 is 494, normal range is 271-870 and Vitamin D is 34 and normal range is 25-80 (keep in mind I take 4000 mg a day already).
I did ask him about P4 support and he said I give it like water, it can do no harm but only help. He also said that on natural cycles, he supplements with supps but on IVF cycles he uses PIO because they are really removing all the P4 from your system when they take the eggs so he like PIO better for that reason.

The one down side is that the embryologist at the lab he uses travels between Texas and Michigan so he is forced to batch patients, meaning BCP

If money were no object I would definitely without a doubt use this doctor because for the first time since talking with Dr. Check, I felt like a doctor believed in me! I may still use him for monitoring but I found out he charges $460 per month monitoring fee whereas my current local clinic does not charge me anything other then the actual costs of the tests.
I hope some of this information is helpful to others and this taught me that it really cant hurt to talk to other doctors because you may just find someone that really understands you can get pregnant with high FSH.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Tanya! This is great! - Sara H on May 19, 2011, 6:26 AM
    1. Thanks - Tanya on May 19, 2011, 6:33 AM
      1. Good for you! (pg ment.) - Bethpky on May 19, 2011, 8:35 AM

2. He sounds fantastic! - Cee on May 19, 2011, 6:49 AM
    1. Thank you - Tanya on May 19, 2011, 12:50 PM

3. What an awesome consult! - BabyDance on May 19, 2011, 7:08 AM
    1. Dr. Brinton - Tanya on May 19, 2011, 7:47 AM

4. I would love to hear - AJ on May 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
    1. I'll post tomorrow - Tanya on May 19, 2011, 11:01 AM
      1. Thank you!! - AJ on May 19, 2011, 12:13 PM

5. what friend is that? LOL!! - Mrs. A on May 20, 2011, 6:26 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement