This is the first time I've seen depression listed as cause of high FSH.December 5 2011 at 7:16 AM
|BabyDance (no login)|
Possible causes of high FSH
Premature ovarian failure (POF).
Autoimmune disorders, for example, hypothyroidism, adrenal gland impairment or lactation.
Long term stress or depression.
Discontinuing the use of oral contraceptives.
Damage from pelvic surgery, abortion, miscarriage or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
Chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Excessive smoking and/or drinking.
Or even stress for that matter.... I'm convinced mine is caused by stress and depression, which led to some drinking, to be honest... under control now, but it was out of control for years with a tough upbringing.. found this as I was researching symptoms of high fsh on a tcm site. Stress and depression are not talked about too often as causes. IMHO, this needs to be discussed much further, and docs need to advise women that are on antidepressants that this can be a factor in high fsh. Every doc I've seen denies this, and it's such a complex thing to study, but I'm positive this is a major factor for me. I come from a long line of fertile women. My mother had her fourth child at 39 and was a heavy heavy smoker, but I'm the only one of my four sisters who had the worst depression, I was the only one who was still in high school and had to move in with my father I never lived with when my mother died, I had it the worst in many ways (my family acknowledges). Led to long history of depression, along with many other factors why it was worse for me... I recently went back on medication, and it is listed that it can interfere with ovulation... why not long history of taking these medications causing POF? If birth control can, why not antidepressants. I feel it will never truly be studied well, and it's upsetting. Birth control is also know to cause POF, and they don't educate women enough. Ok, rant over.
- BCP causing POF (child ment, tmi) - Laura on Dec 5, 8:28 AM
- Thanks for posting baby dance - Sara Q on Dec 5, 9:37 AM
- If stress/depression causes POF, then antidepressants would be good... - Erin on Dec 5, 10:16 AM
- Interesting.. - BabyDance. on Dec 5, 10:23 AM
- Ditto what Erin said - Rebekah on Dec 5, 10:46 AM
- I always have wondered (pg/ upsetting things ment) - Alli on Dec 5, 11:29 AM
- reply to question above. - Anonymous on Dec 5, 6:31 PM
- I totally believe it - Antonialisa on Dec 6, 2:38 PM